Jordan Peele’s Candyman...
Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 09:40 PM
4 Replies, 174 Views

Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Warhammer

At Chief's suggestion I figured I'd do a write up on the warhammer hobby for anyone interested. Sorry for mucking up the youtube thread with irrelevant stuff, I, uh, get carried away sometimes.

What is it?:

Warhammer encompasses a few different games all of them tabletop wargames, think of it as an RTS video game, only played with miniatures, terrain and dice on a table. Brief history lessons on wargames, they started out as training exercises for Prussian officers, with the first commercial release being made by H. G. Wells the famous sci-fi writer, with some of the latter games serving as a basis for other tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons. As a hobby it includes building, customizing and painting the miniatures, as well as just playing the games. As a warning the hobby can be very time and money consuming, but that largely depends on how far you get into it.

Warhammer 40000:

The most popular version of warhammer is the game nicknamed 40k, set in a grimdark dystopian scifi universe carrying the same name. Games are played at anywhere from 500 to 3000 points, which translates to armies the size of 20 to about 100 miniatures. Games can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours to play depending on size and proficiency of the players involved. The official sites has 35 different factions listed and hundreds of units to choose from. The complexity and price point to fully get into the game are obviously both very high, which is why I wouldn't actually recommend it for new players, instead:

Kill Team:

Kill Team is a skirmish scale wargame set in the 40k universe. Rather than an entire army you control a single squad, size 5 to 20 miniatures. The games are shorter and easier to play, with far less rules to remember. It also requires only a single rulebook to get started in (link to site) with various optional extra books available if you want to expand. The nice thing about Kill Team is that the units are fully compatible with the main 40k game, so you can get started for around 60 euros and if you like the hobby, can then expand into the main game.

Age of Sigmar:

The fantasy version of warhammer. The old Warhammer:fantasy game was discontinued after poor sales, with the old world being blown up in The End Times (the conflict featured in the Total War: Warhammer video games), and then rebooted into the new Mortal Realms setting and rebranded as Age of Sigmar. Complexity and price are slightly lower than 40k, but still significantly higher than Kill Team. Age of Sigmar does have two smaller skirmish level games, namely Warhammer Underworlds and Warcry. I've only played a handful of games of Age of Sigmar with borrowed armies, so I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about it as I am about 40k, but I'll try and answer any questions anyone might have.

Where to play?:

A common question is where would one go to play these games? Official Warhammer stores frequently host game night events and often allow for walk in players as well. Friendly Local Games stores (FLGs) often do the same. The Games Workshop site has an, in my experience useful, tool to find either category near you, found here.

Painting:

Painting is often seen as a barrier to entry, with newbies being worried that their efforts might not be the best. Games Workshop puts out endless video tutorials on their youtube channel that serve as great guides as to how to paint. Look for the longer more detailed videos rather than the short 5 minute quick tip videos. Games Workshop also sells an absolutely stellar paint line that makes painting easy and quick, with its recent Contrast Paints in particular being great for newbies or people who just want to get their minis done fast. Alternative brands are Vallejo and Army Painter, frequently sold in FLGs. As for primer people frequently use cheap (compared to the expensive Games Workshop cans) rattlecans from local stores with supposed good results. Official Warhammer stores will usually offer free beginner tutorials where they'll give you a free mini, paints and a tutorial in how to do it.

Finally:
I'd like to recommend the Warhammer subreddits: /r/Warhammer40k/ and /r/Warhammer/, both as sources of inspiration for just how good minis can look, as well as places to ask questions or get advice. The community as a whole tends to be friendly and welcoming to new players. Games Workshop is also known for its usually stellar customer focused stores and superb customer service, so if there are any problems let them know and they'll fix it. They'll also be happy to answer any questions you might have in getting started, just be careful of their attempts to upsell you on whatever the new hot item in the store is.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

And how about of pic of one of my armies: https://imgur.com/a/QgchgL3

I'm having trouble actually embedding it and I'm not sure why..
Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
RAV
Evil Dead

When you are on the imgur page, use Right Click -> Copy Link on the image, and paste it into your post with the usual img tags. But what I also did to avoid page breaking from this huge image, is upload both a smaller and larger version of it, and then use url tags around image tags. The url tags lead to the larger version, the image tags to the smaller that gets displayed. people can then click on the image to get a larger view if necessary. You can use quote on this post to see the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
And how about of pic of one of my armies: https://imgur.com/a/QgchgL3

I'm having trouble actually embedding it and I'm not sure why..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
RAV
Evil Dead

In my teenage years, a friend of mine was into collecting these and needed a playing partner. Or in other words a victim. Someone to play cannon fodder versus his glorious Marines. So I played his Tyranids and Orks. It was fun tho.

But what we may have played a bit more often was Spacehulk. This is a simplified version. You may call it an Arcade version of the game. I think it's cool to get into the franchise. There is a dungeon of corridors and rooms that you can construct out of pieces, and one player has the Terminator Squad, and the other the aliens. There would be objectives what the Marines have to accomplish in the maze. Another fun quirk was that as long as the Marines wouldn't have line of sight, the aliens were represented as a Blip on the map, which could hide their true numbers. The aliens would keep spawning at certain points, and the Marines would have to plan well their movement through the maze. I have fond memories of this.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
When you are on the imgur page, use Right Click -> Copy Link on the image, and paste it into your post with the usual img tags. But what I also did to avoid page breaking from this huge image, is upload both a smaller and larger version of it, and then use url tags around image tags. The url tags lead to the larger version, the image tags to the smaller that gets displayed. people can then click on the image to get a larger view if necessary. You can use quote on this post to see the code.
Thanks, but since your post display it I'll leave it as is.

And yeah Spacehulk is a lot of fun, more boardgame than real wargame, but that's fine. It's just a shame it's out of print, so hard to come by.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Love wargames (and board games in general), detest painting.

It's why I quite enjoy X-wing and have a love hate relationship with Kingdom Death heh.

That said, it's also why I'm far more interested in Kill Team than "proper" 40k at this point. I know they reworked the Sisters models recently, and have rules for them in Kill Team, however have they added one of those smancy packs for them yet?
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Nope, the new sisters have only just been released, the new box set sold out online in like 20 minutes and there aren't any other ways to buy them yet. So you have to check local stores if they still have copies of the box set (doubtful) or wait until they release the separate boxes.

And if you're not into the painting part, check out the Contrast Paints, they really do wonders in getting models done quickly, they're like a base coat, wash and a basic highlight all in layer.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
Nope, the new sisters have only just been released, the new box set sold out online in like 20 minutes and there aren't any other ways to buy them yet. So you have to check local stores if they still have copies of the box set (doubtful) or wait until they release the separate boxes.

And if you're not into the painting part, check out the Contrast Paints, they really do wonders in getting models done quickly, they're like a base coat, wash and a basic highlight all in layer.
Oh I'm well aware of the contrast paints, but while they may make the process of painting faster, they do not alleviate the issue of actually painting... Which is what I don't like. Currently I pay friends to paint the models I want as I have neither the time nor inclination to do so.

And yah I was mostly talking about a Kill Team box set (so around 5 models, rules, and some terrain) as opposed to the full on boxed army.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote