Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer
Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Today 05:47 PM
15 Replies, 785 Views

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Recommendations on CPU cooling paste?

Hey all. Just built my step-son's computer. Seems to be running well. Took me four hours in assembly and another two in software trouble shooting. First PC I built by myself so I'm very proud and I had him help me do it. Needless to say, he was VERY excited. Anyhoo, when installing the CPU, I noticed that it didn't come with thermal paste. Recommendations? Found this at Amazon. Wanted to see what you fine folks recommend. Also, thinking I may clean off the CPU for my PC and apply a new layer, if ya'll recommend it.

Anyhoo, I appreciate it folks!

Much love!

-ty

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Non-stock thermal paste tends to be overrated. For a while, it was one of those things system builders touted as important, but it's simply not (despite being called ARCTIC EXTREME COOLER SUPER TURBO). Many of the third-party pastes actually rate worse than the stock ones. You probably already have paste applied and didn't realize it. More definitely isn't better (unless you like shorting out your CPU).

If you have an Intel CPU for ex., paste layer was already on the underside of the heatsink (under the fan) which you clamped onto the CPU.

See here (the three bands of grey):

I can't remember if AMD does it similarly. I'll let you research it if necessary. :-)

Congrats on building your first box. There's no going back for desktop 'puters, unless you like paying more for hardware that's already six months old. :-)

Last edited by AkumaATR; 01-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Because I can
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Arctic silver, yes.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

Awhile ago I tested Arctic Silver 5 against the stuff that came with my Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and the temperatures were nearly the same with both pastes. The Arctic Silver was a waste of 10 bucks.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Well I appreciate it all! I figured there was some paste on the heat sink. Didn't know for a fact. I've had his rig on for a few hours installing games and such and it's been fine. Thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
I figured there was some paste on the heat sink. Didn't know for a fact.
You'd know, it's hard to miss.

When I went to install mine some AS dripped down the side and bridged some pins! Augh! Cleaned that crap religiously before install.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

One main reason to not use stock paste is that it deteriorates much faster over time. I always use Arctic Silver 5 since it's essentially the standard for performance. Only benefits others have is the alleged lack of a cure time. With AS5 you will see optimal temperatures after it's been running for a hundred hours or so, application is also key. I don't use the "pea method" I do small lines and spread it off with a card or plastic spreader on the processor and heatsink leaving a small amount on both.

Another thing... Replace the stock heatsink they are always crap and manage your cables for optimal airflow. If/when you take the heatsink off for whatever reason be sure to clean the old paste off well. I just use 91% alcohol and coffee filters. Don't want any lint or residue on there.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Just get a sealed liquid cooler for the CPU. They have stock thermal paste and you can get a right decent overclock out of them.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Congrats on the build. I love building computers.

AS5 is sticky and messy as hell. Be warned. But yeah if you are just running everything stock clocks, stock paste is fine. Maybe in about 3-4 years put new paste in if you have it that long and your anal. Stock stuff does dry out faster. But at that point you wont care because it will be kinda outdated and might be hoping it will go out so you can buy another.

The pointless hair splitting of a PC builder. TTYL, i have F-panel wires to ziptie and hide.

On a side note. The stock fan for the FX 8350 i just bought is duuumb loud. I had to get one of these to quieten things up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099

So if anyone is looking to get one, you might want to get a new HS/F to go with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Man, thanks to everyone for all the insight and thoughts. Love ya'll!