16 Replies, 851 Views
Bayonetta & Vanquish...
Last post by Scherge
Today 01:02 AM
3 Replies, 150 Views

Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #21
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Grim Dawn.... oh yeah the game I kickstarted and was in devlopment SO DAMN LONG I completely lost all interest.

PoE I tried several times but could never get into. Uninterersting and cheap feeling.

Torchlight II I finished, and I loved it, but it was NO Diablo III.

There is a much different cinematic only trailer available for D4 which is crystal clear.

Sure Biizzard has shitty mobile and China affection. But let's not kid ourselves, they are still miles above all other ARPGs. Their budget alone allows them to do that.

Can't wait to play this on Scarlett.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #22
badclam
Lord

At this point Diablo is a trash title and is best at A Indie, 3 class's what a joke, sure Actiblizz has Money's for a trailer, but the game play look's like crap.
badclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #23
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
Alright, if they insist on trying to push this MMO style, why not let us have limited character creation?

Not all of us want to play a black or overly buff barbarian.

Really 3 hair colors 3 faces 2 skin colors and 2 genders, keep it simple.
I believe they have that...
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #24
actusoul
Evil Dead

It seems like a rehash. Can they do something different with this license. I have played this game and I am bored. After a while, its a button smashing fest with no tactics. Everything just takes longer to die.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #25
RAV
Evil Dead

There are a couple things I liked. And the ending of the cinematic actually managed to give me a little bit of a shiver, which I didn't expect them able of doing ever again. Thematically it felt more like D1 in spirit, which is cool.

But what's so strange about the situation is... I was never so unexcited about a major title from Blizz like now.

Back when Sc2 and D3 were announced, it was a revelation. It was kinda mindblowing. It looked so amazing. The jump from the previous titles seemed incredibly huge, from graphics to how it plays. The hype was just incredible. Later of course we discovered some flaws with the games, but it shook us all anyway.

However now with D4 I am surprised how difficult it is to actually get excited about. The first thought I had was "uh, isn't that how D3 looked?" I mean it probably has some more polygons and stuff... but it doesn't actually look better? And the game itself also feels more like tweaking it up. I think this is the first time of a major Blizz anouncement, it felt more like an announcement of a new Borderlands game or something, ya know, some middle of the line franchise, not the next big thing that's gonna shake up the industry. Maybe D4 will actually be a good game for what it is, and combined with brand loyalty still a lot of people may play it, but... hrrrm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul
It seems like a rehash. Can they do something different with this license. I have played this game and I am bored. After a while, its a button smashing fest with no tactics. Everything just takes longer to die.
Yes, that was the first thing I thought as well, that the old model of aRPG is in need of a major overhaul, most of all in the mission scenario.
There is something I have in mind which I am really surprised no one's done yet, but oh well.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:22 AM   #26
AlfredT
Evil Dead

D3 comes out.. ppl are all like.. bleh too bright! too cartoony!

D4 comes out, ppl are like.. too blurry/dark. I think they just want the whole gory diablo feel back... at least thats what I got from this whole darkness/blood/evil bitch born from a membrane bit.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #27
RAV
Evil Dead

okay yeah, I remember some of that. I always thought it looked great.
I guess what I'm getting at is that it truly felt like a generational jump from D2 to D3 in technology and all.
Which is probably why I feel more impressed by the War3 remaster...

But in cases of both Starcraft and Diablo, it may be an unfair comparison, because the predecessors were stone age 2d low res stuff going 3d high res with heavy effects. I mean you can make such a jump only once. But still I don't know, I just expected to be impressed more by the graphics and tech to a sequel. Maybe that is just a general issue of our time, that graphics and tech reached a level where it's just not much of a deal anymore from generation to generation, and the innovation is more in the details.

But yeah, just saying, I don't really feel it like I used to. I thought it would be really hard resisting the temptation of their new titles, and I am surprised to say, doesn't feel near as hard as I thought.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #28
LostToys
Evil Dead

Blizzard is definitely designing their games to run on potatoes. They are leaving heavily on art direction taking the place of actual improvements to the game engine, such as an increase in polygon count and texture resolution. So it is not that surprising that you are looking at the reveal and not really feeling it because the game just does not have that technological polish we expect/hope from triple-A developers.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #29
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah. I mean I actually do believe that art direction is more important than tech. And since I've been into retro pixel art kinda stuff, I've often seen it myself, how artists innovate with the art itself on a level of design and craftsmanship, and it can be incredibly fresh and exciting by that alone. Is just pixels, one image like the other in that regard, but what you actually do with it in the result can be as astounding from one to the next as you would expect from a technological jump.

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting from D4. Regardless of how I look at it, the game graphics are not gripping me like I thought it would. Maybe they haven't shown their best scenes or whatev, I don't know.

Here is some examples from pixel art, which even though it is technologically primitive, still makes you kinda wish you'd have a game with it.

Last edited by RAV; 11-02-2019 at 06:27 AM..
Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #30
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Blizzard is definitely designing their games to run on potatoes. They are leaving heavily on art direction taking the place of actual improvements to the game engine, such as an increase in polygon count and texture resolution. So it is not that surprising that you are looking at the reveal and not really feeling it because the game just does not have that technological polish we expect/hope from triple-A developers.
I got no problem with that, I'm running an ol RoG Asus with a 765m Nvidia card.. soo yea.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #31
RAV
Evil Dead

Blizzard probably has good stats from Battlenet what hardware their current userbase got and designed around that, so yeah...

But damn it bro, there's 80$ cards with 2gb now. x_x
Old 11-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #32
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Now THAT was a Blizzard trailer! And a perfect Diablo trailer at that.

LOVED the look of Lilith at the end.

That said, we've killed the Prime Evils, including her papa. What threat can Lilith pose that we haven't dealt with before?

As for tech, I certainly HOPE they do something more. Pull the camera out even further, have high-res texture packs, 4k+ support, Ray Tracing. There is all sorts of stuff they can do as toggles to serve both the potato audience and people with gear from this century.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #33
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Blizzard probably has good stats from Battlenet what hardware their current userbase got and designed around that, so yeah...

But damn it bro, there's 80$ cards with 2gb now. x_x
He's on a laptop. 765m is a mobility card in his ASUS ROG laptop computer. He'd need to spend the money on a whole new rig and that could be out of scope considering he lives in the 3rd world.

I don't mean that in a bad way but I definitely see Myanmar as 3rd world.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #34
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I believe they have that...
Not in D3, they don't. You have the male or female barbarian/mage/monk, etc. That's your character customization.

I agree some customization would be nice. Hell even back in the D&D Gold Box days you got to pick primary and secondary pallete colors and that was just as isometric as Diablo.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #35
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah, the end scene with Lilith actually impressed me, didn't expect they'd have still the guts to pull something like that off.

And yes, for what art direction they are going, an optional Raytracing would probably boost it most.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #36
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badclam View Post
At this point Diablo is a trash title and is best at A Indie, 3 class's what a joke, sure Actiblizz has Money's for a trailer, but the game play look's like crap.
You must have missed the part where the game isn't going to be releasing anytime soon. It'll have more than three classes by the time it launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Games like Grim Dawn and Torchlight II surpassed for Diablo III for me. I'd love to see Diablo IV reclaim the ARPG throne for Blizzard, but this trailer doesn't assure me that will happen. Too early to draw any conclusions, of course.
The Torchlight series - while fun - is made by people who don't quite know how to develop past the game they made 19 years ago. They're both essentially just cartoonier versions of Diablo 2, when you get down to it. D3 had a rough launch, but turned into a fine game when all was said and done. Plus, they actually tried to do things a little differently, instead of just remaking the same game twice.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #37
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Not in D3, they don't. You have the male or female barbarian/mage/monk, etc. That's your character customization.

I agree some customization would be nice. Hell even back in the D&D Gold Box days you got to pick primary and secondary pallete colors and that was just as isometric as Diablo.
I think we all know they don't have it in D3, we're talking about D4.

They also don't have it in Overwatch or SC2. Pretty sure it's not necessary to say what games they don't have it in.

Barring that, I do like the direction they are going with it, and how they talked about wanting to go back to D1 in terms of art direction (which I vastly preferred). Things like making dungeons a bigger part of it, having those dungeons be much darker, and with more blood.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #38
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Yeah but that would require Blizzard to do more than make a minimally viable product, AND take 4 or 5 years longer than any other studio would to actually release said minimally viable product.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #39
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I think we all know they don't have it in D3, we're talking about D4.

They also don't have it in Overwatch or SC2. Pretty sure it's not necessary to say what games they don't have it in.
And yet you seemingly did seem to say there was customization available in D3. Your examples of Overwatch and SC2 are wrong because you have significant levels of customization in both thanks to the many, many skins, portraits, stamps, and so on.

Be more specific then next time, because I thought you were an idiot with a foolish statement that D3 had customization. I'm still on the fence.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #40
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
And yet you seemingly did seem to say there was customization available in D3. Your examples of Overwatch and SC2 are wrong because you have significant levels of customization in both thanks to the many, many skins, portraits, stamps, and so on.

Be more specific then next time, because I thought you were an idiot with a foolish statement that D3 had customization. I'm still on the fence.
I was responding to ministryofwrath, who was talking about D4, in a thread about D4. At no time did D3 enter that interaction until you stepped in and brought it up completely out of nowhere.

There's nothing to be more specific about.