Thumbs-up, Win10! 20 68.97%
Win7 4-lyfe 5 17.24%
Wait, it's free? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Anenome
Autarchist

Red face Windows 10?

Just got the notification for Windows 10 free install, what do you guys know? Thoughts? Anyone tried it yet?

I heard vaguely good things about it, gonna start looking into it.

Last edited by Anenome; 05-31-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

Resources:

- http://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/

- Windows 10: The 10 most important changes coming to your PC, tablet and phone
Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
bean19
Butt Stallion

Yikes. The big scare there is whether or not it is free after a year. I'm not going to upgrade without knowing a firm price for it.

Also, they are getting more and more aggressive about trying to push you into using Bing, IE, and the Windows Store for apps, etc. so I don't want to have to learn how to disable all the bullshit on a new OS unless it has real performance improvements.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Yikes. The big scare there is whether or not it is free after a year.

Also, they are getting more and more aggressive about trying to push you into using Bing, IE, and the Windows Store for apps, etc. so I don't wan to have to learn how to disable all the bullshit on a new OS unless it has real performance improvements.
I think it will be free after a year, yeah, but what's a concern is the built in office apps, I guess? With their Office 365 rental idea how does that work.

Like they start menu has built in web search, but you can change the default off of Ie.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

This guy had a bad experience upgrading to 10-Preview, slow performance, driver issues, had to back-restore to Win7.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Syl
Evil Dead

I've been using it on my laptop since the first technical preview. It's almost at the point now where I prefer it over 8.1 + ClassicShell, and I already like 8.1+ClassicShell more than I like windows 7.

Still a tiny bit buggy but honestly part of that could just be the hardware I have it installed on (which is my experimental laptop, which is why I have windows 10 on it in the first place.) I may wait for another one or two releases in the "slow" ring before I upgrade my main computer to it, but it is, generally, a huge improvement over the past few versions of windows.

However "Edge", the new browser, other than being fast, doesn't offer anywhere near as many options as I need in a browser, and Cortana isn't anywhere near living up to the hype. I prefer Google Now over Cortana in terms of usability. Still, talking at my computer and having stuff actually happen is kinda cool. (Using the built in laptop microphone.)
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

From the Win10 FAQ
Quote:
What happened to Windows 9?

There was never a Windows 9, Microsoft skipped this number and went to 10 instead. Company officials decided to choose 10 because they believe this release is a 'Perfect 10' and to also signify this is the last major release of Windows.
What the hell does that mean??? Are they just going to move to a rental model from then on?

I will become a Linux pro so fast it will make their heads spin.

---

http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/11/wit...ajor-releases/

Last edited by Anenome; 05-31-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Wait I have an official answer from the Win blog:

Quote:
Q: I heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.

Q: Are you saying there will be no more versions of Windows after Windows 10?

Microsoft is moving Windows to a servicing model with Windows 10. The days of major revisions or what are called big bang releases are no more. As Microsoft Program Manager for Windows Terry Myerson described it:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking "What version are you on?" will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/
Sounds like a nightmare for people managing corporate environments and systems with dependencies. Perhaps they will work to wean people off such things by making them painful now.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Anenome
Autarchist

Okay I got it now, they worded it slightly confusingly:

Quote:
Q: How much will Windows 10 cost?

Microsoft has not revealed all the details about pricing for Windows 10 yet, but they did announce that Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users.

Q: I heard Microsoft representatives mention they are moving to a servicing model for Windows 10, does that mean Windows 10 is going to require a subscription?

No, Windows 10 remains a perpetual license, which means, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and use it forever without it expiring or going into any reduced functional mode.
What this means is that for the first year that Win10 is released, pretty much everyone will be able to upgrade to it for free. They want a clean sweep of all windows versions up to Win10 as the new normal. This is the CEO's strategy for wiping the slate clean, Satya Natella and preventing the lock-in problems of the past.

Once that year has gone by, new machines will indeed pay to install Win10, but there will never be a monthly or yearly fee for using Win10.

Last edited by Anenome; 06-01-2015 at 12:34 AM..
Old 05-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
Syl
Evil Dead

There was a new Windows 10 release a day or two ago and its really fast and awesome. It's super smooth. Highly impressed with it.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

Newegg just leaked the Windows 10 price and release date
Quote:
Windows 10 will be available for purchase on August 31, according to a page on the retailer’s site. An OEM copy of Windows 10 Home will cost $109; an OEM copy of Windows 10 Professional will cost $149. Neither page lists any substantive differences between the Home and Professional editions of Windows 10, the two versions of Windows 10 designed for home PCs.

"Windows 10 will be available this summer, and we look forward to sharing more details about how the upgrade will be offered at a later date.”

Newegg’s release date adds to the clamor of sources suggesting Windows 10 will launch in late July. On Friday, for example, two independent reports suggested that Windows 10 will launch in late July. In a recent earnings call, AMD chief executive Lisa Su actually used the phrase “the end of July” with regard to the launch of Windows 10.

However, those July dates refer to the dates in which Windows 10 will supposedly be finalized and released to manufacturing (RTM). The Newegg date reflects general availability, or when you’ll actually be able to buy a copy.

Newegg also revealed the minimum hardware specs for Windows 10:

Processor: 1GHz or faster
RAM: 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access
Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Quit posting in this thread. You clearly don't have a good understanding of what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. Go read and digest. Then come back in a few days.

People have had great experiences with the beta (I have it on 4 PCs) and people have had shitty experiences with the beta. Most of the issues are related to either drivers or it being a honest to goodness beta and not just a retail release being advertised as a beta. It is amazing the number of people who bitch about broken or unfinished features in an real beta. That is the purpose of a beta to find and fix broken features.

The corporate deployments will be handled differently vs the consumer deployments. Microsoft laid out the various version of Windows 10 that will be available ranging from Mobile, to Home, to Pro, to Consumer to Enterprise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions)

My experience with the beta has been great on 3 of the 4 machines. One machine had driver issues and build 10122 of Windows 10 had problems with AMD drivers (AMD has since released new drivers). So like any OS, having the right drivers will matter.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Quit posting in this thread. You clearly don't have a good understanding of what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. Go read and digest. Then come back in a few days.
Sorry dude, my intent was to gather some resources for others who might be in the same boat of not having looked deeply into it. I'm not just post shit for no reason.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #14
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm not just post shit for no reason.
I see what you did there!
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #15
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm not just post shit for no reason.
That is exactly what you have done. You posted a bunch of shit.

First you post about Windows 10 notifications coming out. Good. You then respond to Bean who is full of FUD in his post also. They aren't pushing IE at all anymore, it is dead (except for enterprise). And of course they push Bing, MS office, etc... just like I dunno Apple pushes iTunes, Google pushes Google Search, etc.... Microsoft is even putting Cortana on iOS and Android.

Then you post talking about the costs associated cause you didn't/couldn't read. You then take posts out of context. Eventually landing on the fact.

Then you post a really shitty YouTube video about a single guy who had driver issues with Windows 10. Um, okay?

Then you make completely uniformed comments about the enterprise deployment. You posted a few facts when you quoted the FAQ, but then you posted a bunch of garbage comments about something you apparently haven't even used and clearly haven't even researched.

Here is what (as an uneducated user) should have posted:

Hey guys, Windows 10 is coming out July 29. Here are some quick links as I start to look and see if I will upgrade or not.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...le-on-july-29/

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/ (your reddit link)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows-10

System Requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...specifications

https://youtu.be/Wwc5jKc-EgE <- Microsoft video demoing new features coming to Windows 10

Last edited by Wolfgang; 06-01-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I will be upgrading sooner rather than later. I skipped 8.x because Win7 ran fine but I'm looking forward to the improvements.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You then respond to Bean who is full of FUD in his post also. They aren't pushing IE at all anymore, it is dead (except for enterprise). And of course they push Bing, MS office, etc... just like I dunno Apple pushes iTunes, Google pushes Google Search, etc.... Microsoft is even putting Cortana on iOS and Android.
Right. Well, I resent Apple and Google products trying to push their stores on me too. Also, it isn't FUD - the stakes are way too low for that, I was describing annoyances that I prefer to avoid.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #18
Meusli
Subscriber

I have a free upgrade but I have always been against upgrading a previous versions and doing a clean install. This makes it easier to reinstall at a later date and not create any issues down the road. Is this still a valid opinion or should I just suck up and go the upgrade path?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
I have a free upgrade but I have always been against upgrading a previous versions and doing a clean install. This makes it easier to reinstall at a later date and not create any issues down the road. Is this still a valid opinion or should I just suck up and go the upgrade path?
I usually do the same. This time I'm just going to upgrade. My current install is fairly clean.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I usually do the same. This time I'm just going to upgrade. My current install is fairly clean.
I'm going on six or seven years on my current install. It's ridiculous. I've got it exactly how I want it.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win10