Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC...
Last post by Azzy
Today 01:12 AM
4 Replies, 883 Views
NEOGEO Arcade Stick Pro...
Last post by Rommel
Today 12:20 AM
3 Replies, 498 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by karaliusbronius
Yesterday 10:05 PM
4 Replies, 231 Views
Vacation Dreams become...
Last post by thatlukeguy
Yesterday 07:27 PM
2 Replies, 329 Views
Midway Defeats Doctor...
Last post by DingBat
Yesterday 05:02 PM
4 Replies, 325 Views
Elizabeth Moss takes on...
Last post by MADxMrMike
Yesterday 11:24 AM
8 Replies, 893 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by wunshot
Yesterday 10:38 AM
9 Replies, 373 Views
Pure Evil - You’re...
Last post by vivafletcher
Yesterday 07:36 AM
19 Replies, 1,478 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #41
PacerDawn
Choadwanger
 
PacerDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
McDonald’s sells a lot of cheeseburgers.

What the fuck is your point?
That the inclusion of Black Panther was probably more about avoiding conflict than simply trying to be progressive.
__________________
Why isn't the word "gullible" in the dictionary?
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #42
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I-90 Homeless Camp, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
That the inclusion of Black Panther was probably more about avoiding conflict than simply trying to be progressive.
Yay for the Oscars for nominating a movie that checks off so many boxes at once. Were there "better" blockbusters that could have been nominated? In other years the answer is "hell yes!" We've been asking for some recognition of the fact that the box office should have SOMETHING to do with what gets awarded something for years. But in this year though we had a some good blockbusters but most of those were mostly just decent fun movies generally on par with BP. I think I'd give the nod to Infinity War but Black Panther is seen as a more "important" movie from a cultural standpoint as a blockbuster with a large black black cast and crew.

Fine with me. I won't watch either way. If BP wins it is just more confirmation of Hollywood's corruption and insulation from the real world, just like this stupid list. For all of their talk of "advancing the art" if they give best picture to Black Panther it will be full validation of their pandering. In previous years there are plenty of standout blockbusters which stood heads and shoulders above not only the blockbusters but did advance the "art" but their popularity seemed to count against them, that is the injustice people railed against and why people felt the Oscars treated high grossing movies unfairly.

IMO Black Panther doesn't fit that category.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #43
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Yay for the Oscars for nominating a movie that checks off so many boxes at once. Were there "better" blockbusters that could have been nominated? In other years the answer is "hell yes!" We've been asking for some recognition of the fact that the box office should have SOMETHING to do with what gets awarded something for years. But in this year though we had a some good blockbusters but most of those were mostly just decent fun movies generally on par with BP. I think I'd give the nod to Infinity War but Black Panther is seen as a more "important" movie from a cultural standpoint as a blockbuster with a large black black cast and crew.

Fine with me. I won't watch either way. If BP wins it is just more confirmation of Hollywood's corruption and insulation from the real world, just like this stupid list. For all of their talk of "advancing the art" if they give best picture to Black Panther it will be full validation of their pandering. In previous years there are plenty of standout blockbusters which stood heads and shoulders above not only the blockbusters but did advance the "art" but their popularity seemed to count against them, that is the injustice people railed against and why people felt the Oscars treated high grossing movies unfairly.

IMO Black Panther doesn't fit that category.

What I find PARTICULARLY hilarious is that everyone obsesses over these super hero movies, and they all smash sales records. I can't blink without seeing a new one released and I think they're mostly all mindless visually driven "Meh". So our culture is obsessing over these movies, watching them in record numbers, then sit and complain when they get movie of the year. You're the one telling the industry you love this garbage.

Next time a thoughtful movie like The Sunset Limited comes out, why don't you try paying to watch those for a change.

Every other day there's a new trailer for some super hero movie in here. And the threads do really well. Everyone's up in them, talking about the lore, and the bad choices for actors and actresses, and how it does or doesn't follow cannon. You guys (the average person) loves this shit. I think its mindless sugar and plastic, but that's a side point. So the industry is just following your lead.

Would a thoughtful movie about something like an in depth analysis of the existential dilemma's of man in the 21st century ever break any records? I doubt it. Why? "Because I just want to turn my brain off when I get home". Sleep in the bed you made. We've turned into the most mentally lazy bunch of peon's - with the bad excuse for justification that "I work hard". So does everyone else in the world for the most part. That's nothing special.
__________________
DialogQuest: Two dads on the quest of games, fatherhood, philosophy, reason and beer.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 01-23-2019 at 01:15 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #44
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I-90 Homeless Camp, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
What I find PARTICULARLY hilarious is that everyone obsesses over these super hero movies, and they all smash sales records. I can't blink without seeing a new one released and I think they're mostly all mindless visually driven "Meh". So our culture is obsessing over these movies, watching them in record numbers, then sit and complain when they get movie of the year. You're the one telling the industry you love this garbage.

Not all blockbusters are award worthy but, previously, making money and being popular seemed to be mutually exclusive with winning an Oscar in one of the major categories.

Now that they've finally done it the movie they pick to recognize is not a particularly good example of a blockbuster worthy of an award.

Quote:
Would a thoughtful movie about something like an in depth analysis of the existential dilemma's of man in the 21st century ever break any records? I doubt it. Why? "Because I just want to turn my brain off when I get home". Sleep in the bed you made. We've turned into the most mentally lazy bunch of peon's - with the bad excuse for justification that "I work hard". So does everyone else in the world for the most part. That's nothing special.
As for "good movies" and not watching them? Maybe it's because people don't want to pay $18/per avg to go see a movie that looks and sounds just as good on a small screen. Or they don't give a shit about some in-depth analysis of what SOMEONE else thinks is an existential dilemma of man in the 21st century.

You want to sit down with me over some beers I can tell you what my existential dilemma and I bet it isn't the same thing Hollywood thinks it is.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #45
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,303
When you think about it though, why does a thoughtful movie have to smash records? A good movie that cost $2 million to make and market but grosses $40 million has more than done its job. Super Hero movies smash records because they are usually family movies that also appeal to teens, young adults, etc. They have an extremely broad audience. And they need to smash records because of the cost in making them. I think most of us enjoy a good though provoking movie but they aren't usually going to make a ton of cash. But that's fine because, again, they also don't always need a massive budget.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #46
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
When you think about it though, why does a thoughtful movie have to smash records?
Because Hollywood loves the home run, not the cheap utility infielder hitting singles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #47
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
We thought it was a decent film and we enjoyed it, but best picture? Seriously? It's not even in the Top 10 films I watched last year and I watched a LOT of movies.
Why the hell wasn't Hereditary nominated?! That was the most OMG HOLY SHIT HAHA movie I have watched in YEARS!
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #48
wunshot
Subscriber
 
wunshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why the hell wasn't Hereditary nominated?! That was the most OMG HOLY SHIT HAHA movie I have watched in YEARS!
Seriously? I couldn't get through more than half of it. But (SPOILER ALERT) the part where the kid got her head decapitated in the car was fucking gnarly....surprised it doesn't happen more in RL.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #49
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I-90 Homeless Camp, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,542
As an aside, the Oscars haven't REALLY forgotten popular high grossing movies.

It is only the modern spectacle blockbuster that seems to be missing from most lists.

I mean they nominated the shit out of or awarded movies like (and this isn't a full list by any stretch and doesn't even include the "gimme" categories for geek movies like Best Special FX or Composer/score):
  • ET
  • The Right Stuff
  • Platoon
  • Fatal Attraction
  • Rain Man
  • Ghost
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Titanic
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • The Green Mile
  • Gladiator
  • Lord of the Rings (all three of them, winning good awards finally for Return of the King)

This is not a list of discarded, ignored "artsy fartsy" movies. And some of these even won in the TOP categories (top categories? TOP categories!)

So maybe, and I may have to go wash my hands after I type this, Patrick is right in a way. We sort of already got what we want, the Oscars do recognize some of the best of the popular and high grossing movies.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #50
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

As for "good movies" and not watching them? Maybe it's because people don't want to pay $18/per avg to go see a movie that looks and sounds just as good on a small screen. Or they don't give a shit about some in-depth analysis of what SOMEONE else thinks is an existential dilemma of man in the 21st century.
That might be the problem, right there. You don't have to agree with a sentiment(s) for it to be thought provoking.

I'll sit and talk about whatever over a beer, but it's refreshing to know other people enjoy questions beyond "what super hero would win in a fight", and more so, critical/socratic thinking in general can be popular - and even a money maker.
__________________
DialogQuest: Two dads on the quest of games, fatherhood, philosophy, reason and beer.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 AM   #51
vivafletcher
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 527
Who knew a list of nominees could be so triggering?

"I don't care about the Oscars!"
(proceeds to demonstrate they care very, very much).
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #52
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Who knew a list of nominees could be so triggering?

"I don't care about the Oscars!"
(proceeds to demonstrate they care very, very much).
By making the herculean effort of posting on EvilAvatar right?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #53
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,472
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why the hell wasn't Hereditary nominated?! That was the most OMG HOLY SHIT HAHA movie I have watched in YEARS!
That was a great flick. I've been meaning to watch it again. It's just so brutal and weird. You have to love it even as you aren't loving it.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #54
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 874
Didn't love Hereditary at all. So nope, don't have to love it.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #55
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Who knew a list of nominees could be so triggering?

"I don't care about the Oscars!"
(proceeds to demonstrate they care very, very much).
A single post on the topic is "caring so very much" Much like you're reaching so very much.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ocsars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.