View Poll Results: So, Windows 10?
Thumbs-up, Win10! 20 68.97%
Win7 4-lyfe 5 17.24%
Wait, it's free? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #41
screwyluie
Evil Dead

everything about windows 10 is screaming warning from my gut. I don't trust it. I don't trust MS. This whole thing stinks.

I will stick with windows 7. There's nothing windows 10 offers that makes it worth the change except DX12 and that will take some time to see adoption.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #42
bub64882
Evil Dead

I'm in a fairly modernized healthcare enterprise, and still have applications that require IE 6.

Windows as a service sounds like a fucking nightmare to me.

Like the XBone going disc-less at launch, I can easily see them running away from this decision.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #43
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
I'm in a fairly modernized healthcare enterprise, and still have applications that require IE 6.

Windows as a service sounds like a fucking nightmare to me.

Like the XBone going disc-less at launch, I can easily see them running away from this decision.
You should really do some research. The service means they are going to constantly updating software from here on out (much like everyone else in the software world does now). They have also announced the differences for Enterprise and Consumers. They will not be treated the same way.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/w...-10-enterprise

Quote:
Updates when you want them. One of the central disconnects between the enterprise and Microsoft's rapid release mantra today is that enterprises don't necessarily want to instantly provide updates to their users. With Windows 10, enterprises can choose how their users's PCs and devices are updated. They can opt into a fast track updating schedule—the norm for consumers—or they can lock down their environments and manage the schedule themselves. Or they can mix and match, segmenting their user base and providing updates on the schedules that make the most sense.
I guess stating FUD online is easier though.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #44
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Also if you decide to remain a Windows 10 Insider aka Windows 10 beta tester, then Windows 10 is free and will always be free for you. However to do so, you must login using a Microsoft account and run the risk of using Beta software. Windows 10 insider program will remain even after Windows 10 is launched.

Bottom Line: You can get Free windows on any PC from here on out (unless they cancel the Windows Insider program). However you will be using a beta OS that cannot deny updates.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 06-30-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #45
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You should really do some research. The service means they are going to constantly updating software from here on out (much like everyone else in the software world does now). They have also announced the differences for Enterprise and Consumers. They will not be treated the same way.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/w...-10-enterprise

I guess stating FUD online is easier though.
Nothing you said makes me feel any better. My point is many enterprises are woefully behind cutting edge. Like discless gaming, there are too many not yet ready for "the last release of windows". MS hasn't thought this through, and there will be a contigent that just dumps their OS rather than adopt the new model, assuming they announce nothing between now and Windows 7 EOL (hahaha).
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #46
Syl
Evil Dead

There has been two (rather awesome) windows 10 updates in the past few days. I like it, I like it quite a bit.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #47
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
Nothing you said makes me feel any better. My point is many enterprises are woefully behind cutting edge. Like discless gaming, there are too many not yet ready for "the last release of windows". MS hasn't thought this through, and there will be a contigent that just dumps their OS rather than adopt the new model, assuming they announce nothing between now and Windows 7 EOL (hahaha).
I work as a System Engineer (basically server admin) for a Nuclear Fuel company with over 10,000 employees. We will be deploying Windows 10 when and where it makes sense. We currently use Windows 7 as our default image. We have a few Windows XP and even Windows NT 4.0 and Win 95 that run off the network due to special pieces of hardware.

I am know the healthcare industry has bad legacy software and won't be at the forefront, but actually most of the industry is very much ready for what Microsoft is bringing with Windows 10. I use Windows 10 beta as my desktop machine at work. It has been the best version of Windows yet (the most recent version of the Windows 10 beta requires a Microsoft Account, so I am stuck at 10130, no 10159 for me at work).

Microsoft has to deliver the best version of Windows yet. They have to and they know this. That is exactly what Windows 10 is. The best version of Windows by far -- yet.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #48
Syl
Evil Dead

Another windows update, 1062, i'm having trouble installing this one though. First time I've had an issue with an update since last year.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #49
Syl
Evil Dead

Looks like build 10240, the current insider build, is the RTM build. Means the operating system should be stable enough from here on out.

I'm having an awful lot of issues installing it though. I was able to get it to install on my laptop, but something broke the windows store so none of my apps worked nor could I update them. I'm trying to fix it now.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #50
Syl
Evil Dead

Alright guys, today is the day.
Out of my own curiosity (and because Windows 10 hasn't downloaded itself yet for my main computer) If you got the chance to update today, let me know how the update goes. I'm mostly curious how long it takes to update if you have a shitty* Harddrive.

*Anything not SSD.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #51
Anemone
Evil Dead

None of mine have got the chance yet, apparently. On this one the Win10 icon is gone from the tray, on another it's still there... don't know what that portends.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #52
Syl
Evil Dead

I updated perfectly fine on my main desktop. My windows 10 preview machines haven't gotten the full release but my windows 8.1 machine did. Installed without a hitch and haven't seen anything bad since it updated.

Took me a while to get the new start menu set up as I liked it, also my windows.old was nearly 25 gigabytes on this machine, which is kind of ridiculous.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #53
Syl
Evil Dead

Also, if you want to force a windows 10 install without waiting for windows update (or using windows update in general) this works wonderfully:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #54
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

I'll wait until it is safe.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #55
Meusli
Subscriber

I am having issues with chrome and video playback, ie Youtube. Also no official drivers for any major soundcard is a bit stupid and has stopped me from streaming movies to my TV. Otherwise its OK, but not essential.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #56
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Im anxious to install. But I've been on this build so long it doesn't feel right to destroy it.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #57
Terran
Evil Dead

Any way to legitimately upgrade from Vista to 10 for free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #58
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Any way to legitimately upgrade from Vista to 10 for free?
If you signed up for the technical preview version in the past 8 months. Otherwise I don't think so.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #59
Anenome
Autarchist

Vista gets screwed? Odd.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #60
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Vista gets screwed? Odd.
It's an 8+ year old operating system. I honestly didn't think anyone still even used the awful thing.

Tags
win10