Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 01:42 PM
95 Replies, 35,015 Views

Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Epic Launches Unreal Engine 4.1 Update with Console Support

EPIC GAMES LAUNCHES UNREAL ENGINE 4.1 UPDATE

First major update to UE4 brings official support for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, SteamOS and Linux;
live-streaming source code updates; and much more

CARY, N.C. (April 24, 2014) -- Epic Games has released the first major update to Unreal Engine 4 since its public launch as a $19 per month subscription-based service at the 2014 Game Developers Conference (GDC).

With the release of Unreal Engine 4.1, all subscribers who are registered Xbox or PlayStation developers, including members of the ID@Xbox independent developer program, can receive access to the engine’s complete source code for their respective console platforms, at no extra cost.

For the past two years, some of the world’s leading console developers have been using UE4 to build their next-generation games, so the widespread console availability of this engine is highly notable for the indie developer community.

The 4.1 update also includes SteamOS and Linux support, refined iOS and Android workflow, new game templates both for C++ programmers and designers using Blueprint visual scripting, and more than 100 improvements based on community feedback. In addition, Epic’s Elemental demo is now available for free for subscribers to download from the engine’s Marketplace so that developers can learn from its construction and use its assets in their own projects.

As a demonstration of UE4’s high-end console support, the engine includes “Shooter Game,” a sample project created by Epic and released for free on Marketplace. The sample is now undergoing certification on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Driven by feedback from the community and informed by Epic’s experience building games such as “Fortnite,” Unreal Engine 4 is evolving at an incredible pace. Its first month has seen thousands of development forks created on GitHub to improve and extend the engine in an open, collaborative manner. Starting now, developers on GitHub can see Epic’s internal development process in real-time, with live-streaming source code updates.

Epic will be covering the 4.1 update more in-depth on the weekly live broadcast at Twitch.TV/UnrealEngine today at 2 p.m. ET. To learn more about UE4 or to download the tools, visit www.unrealengine.com.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

All for the low, low cost of 5% of your GROSS revenue... even if your game loses money you have to pay Epic.

What a racket!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
All for the low, low cost of 5% of your GROSS revenue... even if your game loses money you have to pay Epic.

What a racket!
Sounds like they did this to protect themselves from exploitation. Plenty of people would find any and every expense they could come up with to minimize money they have to throw back to Epic. Eating out, taking a trip to "research" the Czech Republic, game purchases for game designers (more "research!"), I mean you name it, people would attempt to include it as an expense. 95% of games don't make real money -- not Epic's fault.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Wow. They put that update out quick. Good for them!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Mr. Lake
Developer

I'm all over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

What a racket!
Well, gross revenue - the money you take in when product launches, if you're coupling that 5% into your development costs (most of which are static) would mean only 5% out of what you budget for other expenses if you don't break even - still not as bad as paying 2 million up front and being out that money with a bomb product.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Hot on the heels of last week’s Unreal Tournament announcement, today’s Unreal Engine livestream will kick off with an update on the current discussions and progress surrounding the game’s development.

Next, the stream will shift to upcoming news, which will include a preview of this month’s upcoming 4.2 release, a look at new content shipping to developers for free on the UE4 Marketplace, as well as the weekly community spotlight.

Epic’s senior programmers Daniel Broder and Mieszko Zielinski will then discuss artificial intelligence and the state of UE4’s features, and also give a live demo of a new sample project.

As always, there will be a live Q&A. You can check out the agenda and many of the questions that will be answered here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-from-Epic-HQ

And finally, Epic is excited to announce that it will be host two meet-ups this month: one in Malmö, Sweden on May 22, and another in Portland, Oregon on May 25. Developers are invited to meet with Epic’s senior staff, enjoy food and drink, and socialize with other members the UE4 community.

Please join us on the Twitch stream and feel free to share any of this info with your readers. Everyone is invited to tune in today at 11am PT / 2pm ET at http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Sounds like they did this to protect themselves from exploitation. Plenty of people would find any and every expense they could come up with to minimize money they have to throw back to Epic. Eating out, taking a trip to "research" the Czech Republic, game purchases for game designers (more "research!"), I mean you name it, people would attempt to include it as an expense. 95% of games don't make real money -- not Epic's fault.
Agreed. I was also thinking Asia (the continent) couldn't wait to get their hands on this to reverse engineer it and Epic's got a CYA clause now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Unreal Engine 4 Weekly News Recap:

Quote:
It’s an exciting week for the Unreal Engine Marketplace! For starters, Epic has released the first user-submitted Blueprint Pack for sale, Allegorithmic has launched 100 new PBR Substance materials, and Red Dot Games has provided a set of 40 Animated Sprites. For more details on the latest Marketplace content, check out: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ma...-release-oct-1

On today's livestream, Lead Technical Animator Jeremy Ernst joins Lead Animator Jay Hosfelt to dive into UE4's Animation and Rigging Toolkit. Epic has been using this tool internally for years now, and Jeremy and Jay will help everyone make the most of their time with the tools. The team will also take a look back at Unreal Engine activities from EGX and answer viewer questions.

You can tune into the livestream today at 11am PT / 2pm ET here: www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

Today Epic's Zak Parrish is leading a four-hour Unreal Engine workshop at SIEGE in Atlanta:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...2nd-in-Atlanta!

Lastly, Epic is launching a brand new support livestream on Tuesday, October 7 at 2pm ET. The first topic is the Unreal Cascade particle system and VFX. For more info, visit:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ay-October-7th!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Dayum, Emab. You bring the news better than anyone on this site.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Dayum, Emab. You bring the news better than anyone on this site.
It's my not job.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
It's my not job.
Back to the oars, Ye Scurvy Dog! Crack!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Send PS4 games!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 02-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #16
JacobVR
Squire

It's not exactly true that this is the first update, there have been a couple minor releases in between. But this is one of the first substantial updates.
JacobVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobVR View Post
It's not exactly true that this is the first update, there have been a couple minor releases in between. But this is one of the first substantial updates.
This thread is from like 2 years ago...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
This thread is from like 2 years ago...
He's new here.

Welcome to the party JacobVR.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #19
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobVR View Post
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #20
JacobVR
Squire

I looked at the requirements for developing for Sony and I think that it's not really possible to get access as an hobbyist because they want more than just your name and your e-mail address they want for example the address of your company or who is the director and stuff like that.
JacobVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unreal engine 4