11 Replies, 611 Views
Midway Defeats Doctor...
Last post by MusicToEat
Yesterday 08:52 AM
11 Replies, 725 Views

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
shadow763
Lord of Woe

What I am looking at right now for a video card is the GTX 670 with 4 gig RAM VS a 680 with 2 gigs. Not sure if its worth it to bump up to the 680. Or is 4 gig totally overkill?

I am running a 6950 right now and it works well enough for games, but Far Cry 3 is having some problems keeping above 30. Hoping a beefier card will help.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

I got a 680 with 2 gigs. Don't have Farcry 3 though.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Are you able to run pretty much everything at the highest settings?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

No one is waiting on Maxwell? I was until it got delayed... I have my 570 1.2g still and overclocked it to the depths of hell and it's just fine for anything I throw at it aside from a few weaknesses. The 7 series is friggin delayed until 2014... Should've been coming out early this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
He should unless he's running a huge resolution.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I dont know much about the differences in the specs between the 670 and 680 apart from seeing the numbers being bigger on the 680. Bigger is better right? :P But my monitor tops out at 1080 and I don't plan on moving up to a 27 inch in the near future, so I just want some decent frames on BF3 at Ultra settings and Far Cry 3 at as high as possible settings.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Rommel
International Playboy

This monthly article should be your first and last stop for checking the value to performance ratio of video cards. It does, however, need a few notations.

1. It does not list the BESTEST BEST CARD. Nvidia would win those awards, but due to AMD's very aggressive pricing strategy this year, Radeons have been winning the recommendations.
2. It does not consider the gamer who actually will add a second video card down the line. The reason for this is simple: No one actually does it. Due to technology increases each generation, it is almost always better to add a new card than add a second out-mode one. Again, if you do like multi-GPU setups, which have problems, Nvidia is the winner as AMD's drivers sometimes just don't work.

From your introduction, neither of the above affect you in any way. As such, pick up a Radeon HD 7950 Boost.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Pretty much. I run Natural Selection 2 on max settings and get 80 to 90 fps. I do The Witcher 2 on the setting right below Ultra (high I think) and it's kickass. I did that for framerate and some of the battle scenes. Overall, I'm quite pleased. Far Cry 3 is on my list.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Exactly 1 year after I bought my 6870 2gb the fan died in it. I take back everything I ever said about XFX products and this is how you make it on my shit list.

I've decided it is easier to go with a quick replace with all these holiday deals and got a PNY XLR8 650 ti 1GB for 139. For a while after getting my 6870 I longed to go back to Nvidia's buttery smooth drivers. It's a slight upgrade but at the loss of the extra gig of ram it should be a wash. Next year when the 680s come down I plan to pick up one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #29
Syl
Evil Dead

...Why didn't you just get the fan replaced? XFX cards have lifetime warranties. Also, replacing a videocard fan yourself isn't that difficult.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
Rommel
International Playboy

Nvidia's drivers, as a rule, are better than AMD's. In fact, certain features (Like force Vsync) sometimes just don't work with an AMD card. The exception are for the games "Optimized" for Radeon. Read: When AMD and not Nvidia sponsors the annoying menu banners. In those titles, Radeon drivers fly. I am fairly certain it is corporate sabotage.

Full disclosure-my soon to be replaced (Not soon enough, ugh) machine uses an AMD 6870.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
Rommel
International Playboy

And as previously mentioned, Crossfire support is hit or miss due to AMD's drivers. It's why when review sites run the ultra crazy Dual 690 vs Dual 7970 x2 setups, the double 690 setup usually wins despite the x2 cards being newer to market. Reliable support trumps sporadic support in my book.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #32
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I have been with AMD the last two purchases I made for the PC. The 6950 being my most recent card. I am just sick of the driver issues I seem to have on games and it seems like 90% display the Nvidia logo on boot up and from what I hear run smooth on those titles when I check their respective forums.

So with Far Cry 3 and to a lesser extent BF3 being tough on my current card, I wanted to move up to a GTX. At this point I was thinking of a 670 to meet my needs to 2 gigs of RAM. My current card might be better if it had the extra gig, but that is a moot point at this point.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #33
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
...Why didn't you just get the fan replaced? XFX cards have lifetime warranties. Also, replacing a videocard fan yourself isn't that difficult.
Oh the card is being RMA'd but then I plan on giving it to a cousin when we build his first rig next month with holiday cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Oh the card is being RMA'd but then I plan on giving it to a cousin when we build his first rig next month with holiday cash.
Good on you. I plan on throwing my current one into either a second PC for the kids to mainly use or a home server. Or a home server/kids PC.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Ended up getting a EVGA GTX 670 FTW Sig 2. Just put it in last night, but also threw in a SSD and a new storage HDD. I haven't tried out any games yet since I still need to install it but my test results with Heaven were promising.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #36
Syl
Evil Dead

The new 13.2 beta AMD drivers are amazing for my system. I'm noticing huge gains in performance. Just felt like mentioning this in case anyone else has an AMD 7000 series card.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #37
Meeks
Evil Dead

Just ordered a GTX 670 card myself (along with new everything else). I had really hoped the price would have come down a little more than it has since release. But it's still a decent bang-for-your-buck card. We shall see!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #38
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Just ordered a GTX 670 card myself (along with new everything else). I had really hoped the price would have come down a little more than it has since release. But it's still a decent bang-for-your-buck card. We shall see!
I ended up going with the EVGA 670 FTW Sig2. Working well so far. I just basically bought a new PC and put it together. Will be pulling the 670 out of my old rig and throwing it in the new one either today or tomorrow. After all the installation is done, I am curious how it will all run.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
I ended up going with the EVGA 670 FTW Sig2. Working well so far. I just basically bought a new PC and put it together. Will be pulling the 670 out of my old rig and throwing it in the new one either today or tomorrow. After all the installation is done, I am curious how it will all run.
What exactly do you do to set up a server? May do that in the future. Totally ignorant on the process, and sure, I could google it, but we've got some kick ass experts here.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
divinechaos
Plays Rock Band naked

I got a 660ti and it runs Batman Arkham Asylum nicely. Haven't tried out any games yet cause I'm waiting for a Steam sale.

Tags
fatality, fight!, video card show down, witcher 2 ultra settings