Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It doesn't look like anything to me.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

The trailers and clips don't really look like much, my expectations are low, still expect to be disappointed.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
The trailers and clips don't really look like much, my expectations are low, still expect to be disappointed.
I thought the 2nd season was pretty disappointing. It should have been great to see the robots go crazy and take on the guests and the just mixed it up with the AI plot and it turned to total mush by the end of the season.

Moving the story away from the "Old West" and into new worlds this season also feels like a mistake. Half the fun of "Westworld" is that it takes place in the old west.

Moving it to India or Nazi occupied France or Japan just doesn't have the same impact. Not to mention it would be outright impossible to keep the guests from killing each other with swords. At least with Westworld you had the guns that didn't work on humans. (I know they had Roman World and Medieval Word in the original, but they spent 90% of the movie in Westworld.)

I'll still watch, but my expectations are pretty low.

And don't get me started on Watchmen. They killed Dr. Manhattan with a cage made out of old batteries? You killed a guy who can walk on the sun with a cage made out of batteries? Holy shit was that some bad writing.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I thought the 2nd season was pretty disappointing. It should have been great to see the robots go crazy and take on the guests and the just mixed it up with the AI plot and it turned to total mush by the end of the season.

Moving the story away from the "Old West" and into new worlds this season also feels like a mistake. Half the fun of "Westworld" is that it takes place in the old west.

Moving it to India or Nazi occupied France or Japan just doesn't have the same impact. Not to mention it would be outright impossible to keep the guests from killing each other with swords. At least with Westworld you had the guns that didn't work on humans. (I know they had Roman World and Medieval Word in the original, but they spent 90% of the movie in Westworld.)

I'll still watch, but my expectations are pretty low.

And don't get me started on Watchmen. They killed Dr. Manhattan with a cage made out of old batteries? You killed a guy who can walk on the sun with a cage made out of batteries? Holy shit was that some bad writing.
I'm sure the whole new worlds aspect is part of some plot twist they hope will catch people by surprise, but I just can't help but think that it's going to be very cliched, cringe-worthy and everyone will see it coming a mile away.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
I'm sure the whole new worlds aspect is part of some plot twist they hope will catch people by surprise, but I just can't help but think that it's going to be very cliched, cringe-worthy and everyone will see it coming a mile away.
Well, the full story never came out, but comic book writer Ed Brubaker wrote the plot outline for Season 1 of Westworld and wrote like most of the 10 episodes.

About half way into filming, HBO decided they wanted to do more than one season and asked Brubaker to re-write the last six episodes. He refused and got fired. That is why pretty much everything after the halfway point makes no sense and that is where they started doing the whole "time shift" thing and the big Delores/Wyatt AI plot that never made much sense and wasn't much fun to watch.

And the second season was more of the same. I agree with you, this season will mostly be pretty trite with a few nice set pieces and costumes and more crap about how humans are evil and the AI is so much better than we are. And since I'm not paying for it, I'll still watch it anyway.

Tags
westworld