Win7 4-lyfe 5 17.24%
Wait, it's free? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #141
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Actually, telemetry collecting is terrifying. .
NSA and government data collection is terrifying. Amazon might hit me with a package dropped from a drone, but it won't explode and kill my entire family like a government drone can do to you with one missile, American citizen or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #142
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Actually, telemetry collecting is terrifying. I can't stand all of the data being rounded up on us like cattle stats.
While I agree telemetry data can be scary and abused. It is also very useful. It has helped me find several bugs in my apps that would go unreported, it has helped me improve performance and it lets me see how people truly use my app so that I can spend time tweaking things people actually use.

Also for companies like Apple, Google and Microsoft -- of course their voice systems will need to occasionally sample voices. There are so many accents in this country alone that Microsoft themselves can't provide them all, they need to sample user's voices and test using them.

Bottom line -- yes Telemetry data can be abused.

I however do trust that Microsoft is not abusing it. Why?
1) Microsoft isn't in first place and because of that they need to be on the up and up. If Microsoft were doing something malicious they could not afford someone pulling a Snowden on them.
2) Microsoft isn't an advertising company. They do sell ads, but they mostly want to sell apps and services, so they aren't like Google in that advertisements is their primary source of income.
3) Application Insights is what they use and it is available to other developers (including myself), so I can see what tools they use, etc...
4) If you really think MSFT has a key stroke logger that records everything... you are crazy. You have any idea how much noise that would create? That would generate so much crap that it would be worthless. 75 million users already (expected to grow to over a billion devices) and logging everything they type? Really?

http://www.computerworld.com/article...any-other.html

Quote:
The charges are overblown, of course. Windows 10 doesn’t handle privacy issues much differently from most operating systems. And you can easily customize the operating system to maximize your privacy.

For example, Windows 10 assigns an advertising ID to users, and then uses that ID to deliver customized ads and information to them. The digital assistant Cortana has to gather information about users in order to do its work, such as reminding people about upcoming flights. All this is not much different from how other operating systems and websites work. Advertising IDs are commonplace. Apple’s and Google’s digital assistants need to gather information just like Cortana does. And although those features in Windows 10 can easily be turned off, Microsoft takes a big public hit.
Complaining only about Windows 10 makes you look really silly, biased, willfully ignorant and shows a lack of general understanding about how software works these days. If you use OSX, iOS, Android, the internet, etc.... quit complaining about Windows 10 and privacy.

Just like a real personal assistant, a digital personal assistant is going to need to get to "know you" to make it effective.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 09-03-2015 at 06:37 AM..
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #143
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
If you really think MSFT has a key stroke logger that records everything... you are crazy.
You'd have to get the tin foil off of their heads first in order for them to absorb this reality. I tried in this very thread.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #144
Anenome
Autarchist

The new start menu has actually become pretty damn useful for me. There's an option to expand it fullscreen, from there you can create groups of not just programs, but also folders. It's a great place to store common folder shortcuts and the like. Loving it.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #145
Anemone
Evil Dead

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-en...w-desktop-mode

Tags
win10