Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 08:15 AM
10 Replies, 568 Views

Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Distant Worlds 2 Launches for the Edge of the Galaxy

Polygon has a couple of good articles online talking about #DistantWorlds2, the player-run Elite Dangerous 18-Week journey to the edge of the galaxy and back.

Quote:
On Jan. 13, 2018 nearly 12,000 commanders in Elite: Dangerous embarked on an epic, 200,000-light year journey to the edge of the Milky Way.

What began as a bold adventure for a single player named Commander Erimus Kamzel has spawned the largest fleet in MMO history. With nearly 12,000 players signed up on day one, the fleet is roughly 10 times larger than the one assembled for the original Distant Worlds in 2016. The one-way trip to Beagle Point, the star farthest from the center of Elite’s simulation of our Milky Way galaxy, will take roughly 18 weeks. Then, the fleet will need to chart a course home.
I own this one for the PS4 and I keep meaning to get back to it. What I played of it on the PC and the PS4 was great, if slightly less colorful than No Man's Sky.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

There's a voice control software you can purchase which works wonderfully with this game.

There's nothing like saying "power to shields" after you've been attacked or telling the computer to drop your landing gear.

Really immerses you!
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I picked it up when I got my Rift headset and played it for a while. Even with VR gear, particularly the screen resolution and the tethering, being as primitive as they are (though nowhere near where they were in the 80s and 90s of course) it was really immersive.

However, until VR is more 1:1 of what someone can view on an HD monitor it won't compete. I was always amazed at the fidelity and responsiveness when I switched from the headset to my monitors, not to mention how limiting the UI was (especially trying to navigate the 3D star map) in VR.

Doing a 200,000 Light year trip? Well I'm not sure that sounds all that fun. One of the things I disliked about Elite was the lack of any real interaction in the universe. It was a playground but empty. This trip sounds extremely boring unless a big enough counter group appears and does "pirate strikes" or something along the route of travel or Frontier uses this opportunity to introduce some actual programmatic content into the game that isn't just "Random chance someone appears and harasses you."
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
wunshot
Subscriber

I kept crashing in the station.....too retarded to fly a starship.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Robberbaron
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
There's a voice control software you can purchase which works wonderfully with this game.

There's nothing like saying "power to shields" after you've been attacked or telling the computer to drop your landing gear.

Really immerses you!
So like what's the name of the software? Can't leave a brother hangin' like that
Robberbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robberbaron View Post
So like what's the name of the software? Can't leave a brother hangin' like that
It's called VoiceAttack and is the one thing (besides VR) I never got specifically for Elite Dangerous. There's some well made voice packs featuring a number of celebrities: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

The two bits of hardware I found absolutely necessary to fully enjoy the game is a proper HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) and the TrackIR. I got the X52 Pro HOTAS and modified the throttle slightly and it still works like new after 3 or 4 years. The TrackIR Pro is a little antler dealy you snap to a headset kind of like a mic but it angles away from you and emits 3 infrared lights. The included webcam thing you attach to the top of the monitor detects the IR signals and interprets it as your head in space. Being able to look around with simple head movements totally transforms combat. But everything else is easier. No dedicated "look" buttons, you never have to take your hands off the controls. I will not play without it.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
It's called VoiceAttack and is the one thing (besides VR) I never got specifically for Elite Dangerous. There's some well made voice packs featuring a number of celebrities: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

The two bits of hardware I found absolutely necessary to fully enjoy the game is a proper HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) and the TrackIR. I got the X52 Pro HOTAS and modified the throttle slightly and it still works like new after 3 or 4 years.
Haven't used TrackIR for over 15 years. It wasn't very good back then so I sort of steered clear since. HOTAS though I agree is a huge benefit, except for navigating the 3D star map.

For those who prefer something a little more lefty friendly or don't like Scitek, Thrustmaster has their T-16000M joysticks which are pretty decent however the throttle controller still requires the use of the left hand. I ended up relearning how to use a joystick so I could use the full HOTAS setup (which was necessary for VR anyway since I can't really see the keyboard to supplement the joystick only config).

I am not sure I had the same dexterity on the stick using my right hand as I would if I was using my left hand, as I have been gaming left-handed since I was a wee-child but having all the control of the throttle along with the joystick more than made up for a little clumsiness thanks to the extra agility.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
actusoul
Evil Dead

I am playing X4 Foundations. The learning curve is steep but after several you tube tutorials I am having a blast.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elite dangerous