126 Replies, 83,691 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 06:25 AM
4 Replies, 316 Views

Old 02-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #21
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Good call Chief Smash, because the only reason I saw it was that I have the AMC moviepass, so I watch nearly anything that is even a bit interesting. I only have these opinions because I have that subscription. But since I do, now I see through the stupid media crap.

Last one I saw was "The Turning" and that was boring and lame as hell. Another I would have skipped if not for the pass.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Some things that work in comics simply don't work in a full fledged movie. My wife is a huge Harley Quinn fan, and even she had zero desire to see this.
My daughter will go see most anything with me to get out of the house and even she passed on this one.

It just looks bad. An error only compounded by the media celebrating it as a woke girl-power movie.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #23
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I thought it was "get woke, go broke? Has that been amended?
I updated it. I like mine better. It just rolls off the tongue and onto the cheeks of failure.

And if you thought the new phrase was hard to come up with... it was...

Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #24
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I updated it. I like mine better. It just rolls off the tongue and onto the cheeks of failure.

And if you thought the new phrase was hard to come up with... it was...

I do like yours better, though I have to admit, I DID think the new phrase was impossibly hard to come up with, and I did wonder how long you tossed and turned, hemmed and hawed, stewed and pondered to come up with it. I'm glad it came to you so effortlessly.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #25
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
You've caught me right before passing out, so forgive me if I am not 100% eloquent.

You asked me to compare Deadpool with this one. I will now think.

Deadpool was much more relatable, for me. I would even say for my wife. It is a human instinct to want to avenge being wronged. If it were me I would rip the planet apart if it meant saving her. So Birds of Prey does not have that.

But it also has a human instinct that I can relate to. Even if I have not felt it. It is about Harley Quinn being suddenly targeted because she no longer is dating the Joker. She is a weirdo, but from my knowledge of comics and media, she is a psychologist and gymnast. So that makes it work, in regards to her character. It is not the same as Deadpool in plot, but it is similar in feel. The reason I brought the comparison up is not even from me. When driving home from the theater, I asked my wife what she thought of it, and she thought Margo Robbie was too thick to be a martial arts chick, but also thought that it was "just like Deadpool."

She said that she liked more serious comic book films that have deep stories like Man of Steel, and that this was just more silly like Deadpool. That really sunk in for me. Because it is true. I watched this one and was irritated at a couple parts (I hate movies with people singing for some reason). But overall this movie was just another Deadpool. I can see it through to the initial pitch meeting with WB. "Deadpool made a ton of money. Lets make one of those but with chicks."

But I find it dumb and annoying when I see endless videos and tweets where people celebrate that this isn't doing well, and left wingers saying it's great. None of them are smart, nor influencing me. It's very obvious that they have agendas, and I hate that shit. I have no problem being a "Rebublican/Conservative" and not falling for all the bullshit from both sides.

At least I can watch it and give an honest review, devoid of political bullshit.
What really caught me eye was how you compared with movies like Fifth Element to question why people get mad at girl power movies. The movies you mentioned I very much liked, but all these movies are so different and actually have something in common, much like the new breed of movies have something in common. In the Fifth Element, the first time this girl comes crashing down the roof of the car from Bruce Willis, and he looks back and sees her for the first time, it's like the sun is rising in the night of his life. It's like for the first time ever he has real purpose in life. And the way the story would keep playing out, what these people would do for each other, the sacrifice and love, that motivated the action, it was pretty intense. This is true for most stories with strong females of that era. Underworld, even Resident Evil, Terminator1 even 2. And yes, Dead Pool too, it was really not so much hate and revenge that drove him. It was different. It was actually love.

I think what annoys a lot of people, but have problems explaining, is that most of these new breed of "girl power" movies have in common is that they are some sort of revenge story. They mostly seem to have some kind of problem with society, maybe men in general, maybe a specific man, and the center point of the story is revolt and revenge, against everyone who'd wronged them... which is about everyone and everything. Revenge can be an important theme even in the best stories, but it often is offset by other themes as well, and overall our story landscape isn't really driven by that. At some time when this becomes too central, it becomes disturbing. A lot of people almost feel starving for... maybe something more spiritually uplifting, I guess.

Maybe we are looking for different things in our entertainment, and you are annoyed by media critiques, as well as maybe people online criticizing it, so that explains your stance. I have spent a lot of time in "creative communities" and have experienced first hand what's going on there, and what results it has. How certain groups try to remove all beauty, grace and love from culture, and how they would kill projects from people that wouldn't conform to their message. And these experiences explain much of my stances today. Like if you feel the need to protect creatives from society, so they can freely do their work... I sometimes almost feel the need to protect our culture from so called "creatives" that really have nothing to do with the craft. I've seen plenty enough classes, where the students are taught by "teachers" of creative writing" more about 18.century colonialism and why Shakespear was sexist and Lovecraft a racist, than the actual body of work and what makes it awesome and inspiring even today. When you see enough of that it makes you very mistrusting and disappointed in what is created today.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #26
Booda
Beam another Blast

‘Birds Of Prey’ Is Getting A New Title At Some Movie Theaters

Lol! Yeah sure, the title... that must be the problem.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #27
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
‘Birds Of Prey’ Is Getting A New Title At Some Movie Theaters

Lol! Yeah sure, the title... that must be the problem.
The old title doesn't help but I'm not sure how much it really hurt either.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #28
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I didn't know about the woke thing or the patriarchy thing...

I just didn't want to see that. I have seen NOTHING in the trailers that makes me go to the theater.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
I didn't know about the woke thing or the patriarchy thing...

I just didn't want to see that. I have seen NOTHING in the trailers that makes me go to the theater.
Same. And i think that's the crux of the movie doing poorly at the box office. Nothing to do with any sort of political nonsense. Just not a very compelling movie. It having Joker or a cast of straight white men only wouldn't change that. Most people I know didn't even know it existed.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #30
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Same. And i think that's the crux of the movie doing poorly at the box office. Nothing to do with any sort of political nonsense. Just not a very compelling movie. It having Joker or a cast of straight white men only wouldn't change that. Most people I know didn't even know it existed.
I too think it just looked like a shitty movie to begin with. Don't be surprised when they blame toxic men however for it bombing.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 AM   #31
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I too think it just looked like a shitty movie to begin with. Don't be surprised when they blame toxic men however for it bombing.
I saw a headline or two doing that before the movie even came out. And I saw Sargaon and The Quartering making videos about it too. I guess the outrage gets clicks and makes cash no matter what side you're one. It just doesn't sell movie tickets.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 AM   #32
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

This guy Eric July has many great points, as he usually does. But I don't think Ewan McGregor saying his character is misogynist is a huge deal. Because if you watch the movie, his character is an over the top mysogonist. And it is a good thing for that character, because he is a villain. I like my villains to be obvious douchebags, when they're in these silly Deadpool-esque films. I wouldn't deny that McGregor is saying what his agent told him to say, because everyone in hollywood is fake. But at the end of all these threads, I'm fine with the villain of a female Deadpool film being a bitch to women. That's pretty much what he should be, hooah?

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:32 AM   #33
RAV
Evil Dead

Uh yeah, that the villain is bad isn't really the issue, that's right. It might be that there is not much else good in it, and that this particular theme has become too common and central across movies that it's kinda tiresome by now. It feels like, it's been some time since I've seen proper relations between characters, it's been mostly so awkward and desinterested. Man, when you mentioned Fifth Element, Underworld, Resident Evil... I got so woefully "nostalgic". It feels like it's been such a long time since competent films like these have been made. I'm just not finding much of what I'm looking for, and I don't even mean that kitch thing i`ve been on, that's just a symptom of a deeper starvation. But well, I still get some kicks, just not from official channels like Hollywood/Disney. I have to go to inofficial niche low budget productions if I want to see proper straight relationships again with themes that are more classic in orientation. I'm painting it too gloomy, I admit, but yeah, there are different interest groups in the market, and they are all vying and competing how our production investment should be mostly allocated for products of their personal interests. For this reason I won't exactly shed a tear that Birds of Prey bombs, you gotta forgive me for that. Though, I'm not going around trash talking it all and down voting every Girl with guns content out there.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart