25 Replies, 1,086 Views
The Evil Avatar Control...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 12:47 AM
5 Replies, 589 Views

Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

It's Sunday: What NFL Games Are You Watching?

The playoffs continue to roll on. Who do you think is going to the big game?
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I'd like to see the Chiefs vs Rams in the Superbowl.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Chargers...gotta pull for the Catholic QB with the litter of kids.

Plus, the Deflatriots need another loss. Warms my heart when they lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I'm with both Terran and Emabulator! Anything but the Pats!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I'm with both Terran and Emabulator! Anything but the Pats!
Amen to that brother!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Chargers...gotta pull for the Catholic QB with the litter of kids.

Plus, the Deflatriots need another loss. Warms my heart when they lose.
Unfortunately, they've scored on virtually every possession so far. It's currently 28-7 and it ain't even halftime.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Holy shit I hate the goddamn Patriots.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
Krull
Dread Lord

Haters going to hate! Go Pats!
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Unfortunately, they've scored on virtually every possession so far. It's currently 28-7 and it ain't even halftime.
Wasn't watching. Don't actually give a shit. C'est la vie!
Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
Haters going to hate! Go Pats!
You do realize there are 15 other teams in the AFC, right?

The NFL, despite all the talk of improvement, has a parity problem when one team can reach the AFC Championship 8 years in a row.

It's not good for the league, period.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

The NFL, despite all the talk of improvement, has a parity problem when one team can reach the AFC Championship 8 years in a row.

I definitely understand the sentiment but financially, I bet it’s excellent for the league. People seem to either love the Patriots or, more often, hate them. Fans will tune in hoping to see them lose so the longer they play, the better their ratings I bet.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

As much as I don't like them, they're a very well-run organization. They spend their money well (and don't overpay for players) and have to deal with difficult schedules every year while not having the best draft picks.

The system is built to prevent this sort of thing, but they're still able to pull it off.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Eight in a row (conference championship games) is certainly exceptional. The league's had a lot of dynasties, though none quite at their level.

60s? Packers.
70s? Steelers.
80s? Redskins.
90s? Cowboys.
80s-90s? 49ers.
00s-today? Patriots.

Pretty typical, really. There's always a team or two that dominate.
Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

The NFL is more focused on pushing SJW narratives and propaganda rather than giving two shits about the product on the field. That's what not good for the league, that's why so many people have just tuned the fuck out.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The NFL is more focused on pushing SJW narratives and propaganda rather than giving two shits about the product on the field. That's what not good for the league, that's why so many people have just tuned the fuck out.
This is the truth!
Quote:
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Ratings are actually up this year, likely because the league has avoided yet another major controversy. The only major "narrative" of the season wasn't player suspensions, activism, controversies, or Goodell staring into a camera; instead, it was the on-field contests...and people actually tuned in this year. People seem to be more excited about the playoffs this year over last, as well. Ad revenue is down, but that's more than likely caused by the ratings dip from the previous two years.

The only "agenda" the league pushed this year were the games. Beyond the first couple of weeks (if that), topics like kneeling weren't ever talked about. What they were talking about was the meteoric rise of players like Patrick Mahomes, or Nick Foles having to step in for an injured Carson Wentz again. For the first time in a few years, the primary topic of discussion was football.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Ratings are actually up this year, likely because the league has avoided yet another major controversy. The only major "narrative" of the season wasn't player suspensions, activism, controversies, or Goodell staring into a camera; instead, it was the on-field contests...and people actually tuned in this year. People seem to be more excited about the playoffs this year over last, as well. Ad revenue is down, but that's more than likely caused by the ratings dip from the previous two years.

The only "agenda" the league pushed this year were the games. Beyond the first couple of weeks (if that), topics like kneeling weren't ever talked about. What they were talking about was the meteoric rise of players like Patrick Mahomes, or Nick Foles having to step in for an injured Carson Wentz again. For the first time in a few years, the primary topic of discussion was football.
I don't agree that SJW narrative was all the NFL pushed though. My problems with the NFL go back further than that (though I do hate the SJW crap.) In order to grow the audience, the NFL changed. They did more to appeal to kids and women. They practically force fed some players, willing them to be the next big star or made this player or that player the new villain for us to root against. They change rules to make it easier for QBs to heave more TDs because people love scoring. They make rules more vague so a ref can call a flimsy penalty that changes the momentum of a game. I don't think they fix games but I do believe they manipulate games in order to help keep them close sometimes. It feels like a watered down version of wrestling sometimes except at least wrestling admits that it's just entertainment. I love the sport of football. But I very much dislike the NFL. You can easily argue that these measures all worked and that the NFL made tons of cash off of their new audience. But I think it's a long term loss.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I don't agree that SJW narrative was all the NFL pushed though. My problems with the NFL go back further than that (though I do hate the SJW crap.) In order to grow the audience, the NFL changed. They did more to appeal to kids and women. They practically force fed some players, willing them to be the next big star or made this player or that player the new villain for us to root against. They change rules to make it easier for QBs to heave more TDs because people love scoring. They make rules more vague so a ref can call a flimsy penalty that changes the momentum of a game. I don't think they fix games but I do believe they manipulate games in order to help keep them close sometimes. It feels like a watered down version of wrestling sometimes except at least wrestling admits that it's just entertainment. I love the sport of football. But I very much dislike the NFL. You can easily argue that these measures all worked and that the NFL made tons of cash off of their new audience. But I think it's a long term loss.
The league has been increasingly pro-offense for at least the past 25+ years. People like high-scoring games and many lifelong fans would view a low-scoring defensive struggle as "boring"; they love seeing the 43-40 (Pats/Chiefs) and 53-51 (Rams/Chiefs) shootouts, not the low scoring affairs where both teams are held under 21 points.

The current state of the NFL's on-field product has been in the making for decades.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #19
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Go Patriots..

I am amazed at their run.. and tom Brady is a beast. 13 AFC conference games in 17 years. The man is a machine.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #20
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
The league has been increasingly pro-offense for at least the past 25+ years. People like high-scoring games and many lifelong fans would view a low-scoring defensive struggle as "boring"; they love seeing the 43-40 (Pats/Chiefs) and 53-51 (Rams/Chiefs) shootouts, not the low scoring affairs where both teams are held under 21 points.

The current state of the NFL's on-field product has been in the making for decades.
I agree that this has been going on for a long time. I don't agree that lifelong fans found those defense and running based games boring. I loved them back then and I was dismayed as I watched that style of game disappear over the years. I'm aware that I don't speak for everyone but I do think that, based on the way the NFL has run things, their best days are behind them.

Tags
nfl, nfl game day