Switch Lite Setup Issue
Last post by Major Dan
Yesterday 12:00 PM
1 Replies, 147 Views

Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #41
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
What does the typical home server usually do?
well if could do a great many things as Brandon points out. You could run your own firewall, make your own router, run all your machines off it as thin clients, automated routine backups, run your own personal cloud, etc.

What mine will be doing is running Plex mostly. Right now my main PC runs it and I serve to at least half a dozen clients at any given time, most of them need transcoding. I'll offload my download clients as well. I have a few more things I'll offload, but that's the gist of it.

Quote:
I'm liking some of the "Add storage as often as you want" bit of a NAS and I'm tired of trying to use Dropbox and Onedrive to access my media over the cloud. I also am too cheap to get a fixed IP
and see that's the part I got stuck on when I first started looking into this. A traditional NAS uses traditional RAID, which is inflexible. You have to plan your storage setup and you really can change the drive pool once you've made it. Building my own was cheaper, more powerful and using unraid I achieve the same storage solution without the restrictions. You can add a drive whenever you want.

As for the fixed IP, I just use the free service from noip.

Quote:
In the meantime I've got a kiddie setup with a Windows 10 machine and 10TB that holds most of my stuff. Sits out in the living room. I remote into it when I need to from the gaming PCs or it's on HDMI 1 if I want to watch something.
I used to do that, then I found Plex. Wife and kid approved, clean and simple.

Quote:
It really sounds like Louie just wants a machine with a shitload of storage and some strange OS that manages RAID.
lol, yes. As I said before, that 'strange os' allows me the flexibility to add storage on the fly, just like you would with a normal PC
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #42
inscribed
Evil Dead

I used UnRAID for a while, but I like Ubuntu+SnapRAID more.

http://zackreed.me/articles/72-snapraid-on-ubuntu-12-04

https://www.linuxserver.io/index.php...a-server-2016/

I also wouldn't say the idea of home servers is new, and if anything, are getting pretty common now. Way too much ego in this thread. Next we'll have a thread about how awesome torrents are and then we can argue about whose torrenting needs are the most special.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
I used UnRAID for a while, but I like Ubuntu+SnapRAID more.
first I've heard of snapraid, seems to do the same basic function, any reason you prefer it to unraid? or are you just using it because you prefer ubuntu and snapraid fills the gap of unraid on a basic level allowing you to use ubuntu?

Quote:
I also wouldn't say the idea of home servers is new, and if anything, are getting pretty common now
I completely disagree. All I ever see is 'get a NAS'. That's a home server like a calculator is a computer. It's not new (I don't think I said it was?) but it's certainly not common. I think most people are set back by the price, which is why I wrote the OP to show you can have a home server for just a couple hundred bucks and it doesn't have to be a rack server taking up a closet.

Quote:
Way too much ego in this thread. Next we'll have a thread about how awesome torrents are and then we can argue about whose torrenting needs are the most special.
welcome to EA, Ego and Attitude. People still use torrents? huh...
Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #44
Planet_Redrum
Squire

Hey,

A small question to you. I've got a cousin that turns 15 in a few months. He's an avid PC-gamer, and I know that he and his friends are playing quite a lot of CS:GO, and this fall (on his birthday) they will host a big LAN-party in the town we're from.

I used to be a PC-nerd back in 06, but I gave that up once the 360 arrived. My family is now asking me to help out with the kids LAN-party, by helping them set up a dedicated server that they can use.

BUT, I barely know anything about servers. My knowledge is extremely limited, and that's why I turn to you guys for help. Is there a good place online where I can read up on how to set up a server. In my attempts I found this site that does describe the basics of what a server is, the difference between hardware and software servers etc, but not really how to set one up.

Examples of thoughts about this:

1. How powerful must the hardware be to run a dedicated server for, let's say CS:GO?

2. Do I need programming skills?

3. Can I use my more than ten year old computer? Or should I see if any of my friends might have an extra computer around?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #45
screwyluie
Evil Dead

a cs:go server? it'd be easier to just rent one unless there's no internet connection?

if you need a local one, just about any computer will do, a game server uses almost no resources. find some POS computer you have laying around and fire up the dedicated server and connect it to the network. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...icated_Servers

how many people are going to be playing this game?

if it's offline and local only and not a shit ton of people you can run an offline local server: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=452154031
Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #46
Planet_Redrum
Squire

Thanks for your answer!

I think there's gonna be about 30 kids at the lan-party. I have a really old crappy computer, single-core 2,4ghz AMD-something, with 2gb ram, and an Nvidia Gtx6200 (or something like that) graphics card. Is that enough to run the server on?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 AM   #47
screwyluie
Evil Dead

should work just fine
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #48
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Hey Louie...

I have come into some hardware that someone is asking me to sell off. Wanted to see if you were interested, it's nothing super fancy & modern, but good equipment (out of warranty obviously). Was curious if you wanted an actual server?

I have some Dell Servers:

PowerEdge 2950 (rack)
PowerEdge R610
PowerEdge 1950 (rack)

A few Dell PowerConnect 2750 24port.

Just was thinkin about ya when they said "we have some things we'd like you to sell".

They are gonna get chump change for them - there is no OEM license with any of these... they were VLSC... education sectory. Still good for Linux tho!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #49
screwyluie
Evil Dead

could make good use of all that actually. I'll PM you
Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #50
screwyluie
Evil Dead

or not

Quote:
rubbishfoo has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
...quotes don't count as message length... 10char bs...
Old 08-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #51
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
or not

...quotes don't count as message length... 10char bs...
Sry bout that. Forgot to empty em out. Doin it now!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #52
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Folder cleaned out.

I specced all the equipment today. Pm me when u ready.

I'm off for the next few days & will have to run any offers past the guy who owns em... But they were stored in a data center. No dust in em at all.

Not a lot of memory in em or storage, but some.

I'll grab some pics when they are in front of me.

I have the service tags documented, so you should be able to see the build config on the Dell support site.