Yesterday 07:17 PM
9 Replies, 264 Views

Old 05-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Sega Plans To Revive "Major IPs"

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Sega is looking to bring back some of its "major" unused game franchises, the company revealed in a recent business presentation.

Following its earnings report for the most recent fiscal year, Sega Sammy shared its "Road to 2020" presentation, which outlines the company's plans to utilize and expand its catalog of IPs in order to create more global hits. In the "packaged games" sector, Sega Sammy will double down on its existing properties and look to "obtain" new ones "for North American and European PC games." The publisher also plans to "promote global development" by organizing studios around IPs: Phantasy Star, Puyo Puyo, and Persona were singled out as the major franchises of its domestic studios, while Sonic, Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War are the driving forces of its North America developers. Total War, Football Manager, and the Endless series, meanwhile, are the main focus of its European division.

Most interestingly, the presentation also revealed that Sega Sammy is planning a "revival of major IPs." While the company didn't go into details about which of its dormant IPs it plans on revitalizing, there's no shortage of franchises it could potentially bring back, like Shinobi, Panzer Dragoon, and Jet Set Radio. Obsidian, the studio behind Sega's Alpha Protocol, also commented on the news via Twitter, though the tweet seems more like a good-natured joke than an explicit tease for a new installment.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

There should've been a mobile Panzer Dragoon game five years ago.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
dirtbag
El Matador

How can Sega 'revive' IPs when they've been flogging them for decades? Even Congo Bongo has been used as recently as 2005!
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

Oh man, I can't wait for SEGA to do for other IPs what it did for CoH2!!!

...wait....
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Agent 22
Lord

I remain unimpressed until they give me a Switch version of PSO.
Agent 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #6
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 22 View Post
I remain unimpressed until they give me a Switch version of PSO.
That would be great! Or simply a new "OutRun" or "Daytona" game by Sumo! "Panzer Dragoon (Saga)", "Shining Force", "Shenmue", "Crazy Taxi", "Virtual On", "Dynamite Cop", "House of the Dead", "Afterburner", "Ecco the Dolphin", "Virtua Tennis" - so many great IPs to choose from. Speaking of which: Where's my damn "Jet Set Radio Future Now"? And how much longer do I have to wait for "Virtua Fighter 6"???

I just hope this is not the announcement for a new "Super Monkey Ball" mobile game or a "Condemned" remaster...
Old 05-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
There should've been a mobile Panzer Dragoon game five years ago.
If you ever sully the name of Panzer Dragoon again with the word "Mobile," I will butt rape Tracer in front of you while I make her suck my big toe. IN FRONT OF YOU!

*Ahem*

Not counting those that were acquisitions from THQ, still new or publishing jobs only, Let's go through the list of Sega IPs that haven't been used in some time!

2K Sports (All) - Well, it isn't like they are trying appease EA anymore! A shame the licenses are now all secured.
After Burner - Sure, I guess. Arcade games are hard sells.
Alex Kidd - Last I saw Alex he was on a street corner, begging for change.
Altered Beast - Ugh, terrible game fondly remembered by none who actually played it.
Baku Baku Animal - Wut?
Beyond Oasis - Could be great if Sega wants to commit to making a Zelda game, though the scope for that is now much higher.
Bayonetta - After selling well on PC, this is the first no brainer.
Blazing Heroes - Even I never played this Saturn one and done RPG-lite.
Bug! - Sega tried to beat the PSX by advertising games like Bug! It didn't work.
Border Break - I've never heard of this Asia-Arcade exclusive. The screenshots and cheesecake art, however, look intriguing.
Chu Chu Rocket - Now here is a game for mobile I can get behind.
Clockwork Knight - Sega tried to beat the PSX by advertising games like Clockwork Knight. It didn't work.
Columns - Inferior Tetris / Dr. Mario. Stick to Chu Chu Rocket and leave this on the Game Gear where it belongs.
Congo Bongo - 1983, ladies and gentlemen!
Crazy Taxi - Not actually a good game. Fun for a few minutes but incredibly shallow.
Daytona USA - If they have the talent to do Arcade racing right, there isn't a better pedigree.
Derby Owners Club - I've seen this in person! I've never seen anyone actually play it...
Dinosaur King - Thank God Arcade card-based games never left Japan
Dragon Force - DO THIS NOW, Sega
Dynamite Baseball - Sega owns two baseball franchises. This is the other one.
Dynamite Cop - Mmm, no thanks.
Dynamite Dux - They're fucking ducks
Ecco the Dolphin - The Dreamcast version was pretty but quickly made us realize these games were always boring
Eternal Champions - Or we could play Street Fighter. Decisions...
Fantasy Zone - Imagine a shmup with only two colors, both pastel, and everything is round
Feel the Magic: XY/XX - Feel this.
Ferrari F355 Challenge - Sega owns several racing franchises. This is the other one.
Fighting Vipers - Sega owns three fighting game franchises. This is not the good one.
Full Auto - Sega owns several racing franchises. This is the other one.
Ghost Squad - Can I skip light gun shooters as a product of movies theaters in the late nineties?
Golden Axe - Sega owns several beat 'em up franchises. This is the other one.
Gunstar Heroes - Holy fuck yes!
Hang-On - Sega owns oh no wait! The motorcyle racing game is actually an under served market and I could see people enjoying this again.
Headhunter - I really shouldn't have started this post...
Herzog - Sorry, the name is too old to compete in the genre it created
House of the Dead - I'd rather type, myself
Jet Set Radio - A beautiful game with great music, it is in fact a shitty game with terrible controls. It might do well after another try, though.
Last Bronx - Sega owns three fighting game franchises. This is not the good one.
MadWorld - Hey, here is a title from the last generation that might be fun!
Magic Knight Rayearth - Hey Metal Jesus, I own this!
Manx TT Superbike - Hang on is the right choice.
Metropolis Street Racer - How many fucking racing franchises...
Monaco GP - ...Does Sega own?!
NiGHTS - Sigh, in my dreams.
Oshare Majo: Love and Berry - I regret what I started.
Mushiking: King of the Beetles - Please let me stop.
Otogi - This game ruled! The hack and slash genre is surprisingly strong and this would be a welcome return.
Out Run - Okay, all Sega owns is racing games. They should try something else.
Panzer Dragoon - If shmup, sure! If RPG... I will masturbate on Omegle while Sega calls me names, if that brings it to fruition.
Phantasy Star - With the growth of XIV and the acclaim and sales of XV, Final Fantasy has once again brought JRPGs into the West's favor and given Sega the chance to capitalize.
Pole's Big Adventure - Could be a fun value Steam title.
Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! - It's like FIFA only with Japanese people.
Pro Striker - It's like Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou and still not FIFA.
Rent-A-Hero - Only allowed if they keep the 80s, retro-futuristic motif.
Rez - A new version, not a VR port? Fuck yes! Include the sex toy.
Sakura Wars - These games are huge hits in Japan and you couldn't find two people in the same Western nation that heard of them. Dating sims (Visual novels) and tatical RPGs are a lot more accepted in the U.S. now, so there is a real chance for this to see a new entry.
Sands of Destruction - Me-Di-O!-Cre *Clap Clap, Clap Clap Clap*
Sangokushi Taisen - How Japanese people play in depth games at the arcade, with cards they bring from home, I will never understand.
Samba de Amigo - Rhythm games are dead and we should all be happier for it.
Scud Race - So many racing games, it's like the N64 library threw up on a company.
Seaman - With the ubiquity of microphones and speech controls, I would love to see what Sega could do with a new entry to this series.
Sega Bass Fishing - The April Fools "Sega Bass Fishing of the Dead" sounds more interesting to me but hey, what do I know?
Sega GT - All games are racing games!
Sega Rally Championship - No other types of games exist.
Sega Touring Car Championship - All hail the racing game gods!
Sega Superstars - Hey kids, remember the Eyetoy? I'd rather play a magical book simulator.
Sega Worldwide Soccer - Still not FIFA
Shenmue - Already in development, much to the chagrin of gamers with taste.
Shining - Allegedly there are recent entries to this series but considering how many genres are included in this series, I imagine there are fans who miss the "Real Shining games."
Shinobi - Strider was always a better game.
Skies of Arcadia - Hey, an actual good game. There were some really awful games listed above but here is a title actually worth revisiting.
Sonic the Hedgehog - Weeabo the Furfuck, we call him these days. Fuck this series, it's obvious they don't know how to do it anymore. And you know what, the originals weren't that good anyway. Maybe they never knew how to do it.
Space Channel 5 - Dance Dance Revolution with a controller! THAT sounds fun, mhm.
Space Harrier - Also none as Better After Burner.
SpikeOut - it's like Streets of Rage for losers!
Starhorse - Them Japanese sure do love to gamble.
Star Wars Arcade - The world does not have enough Star Wars games, that's for sure.
Streets of Rage - It's like SpikeOut for winners!
Tempo - It's like Bug! with even less mainstream appeal.
Thunder Blade - Only if they include the moving chair, the the R360 would be the first choice for crazy.
Thunder Force - Well, they aren't quite Gradius but still pretty good. I think Sega might be thinking bigger, though.
Time Traveler - Oh look, holograms!
The Conduit - Edgelord fuckery, right here
ToeJam & Earl - Online multiplayer TJ&E, anyone?
Toy Commander - Better than the Army Men games; low praise
Vectorman - I kind of miss the pre-rendered look of this generation, especially since games are often no more interactive
Virtua Cop - Let's play Time Crisis instead
Virtua Racing - I think I figured it out, these ARE all the same racing game but Sega hates reusing names!
Virtua Striker - Except Virtua, that they like reusing even if it isn't FIFA
Virtua Tennis - It's like pong filmed with a vertical cell phone.
Virtual On - An awesome Robot Shooter Fighting Game that really needs to reach a wider audience, as this would be great via online mutliplayer.
World Club Champion Football - Cards that aren't FIFA
World Series Baseball - Sega owns two baseball franchises. This is the good one.
Zaxxon - 1982, ladies and gentlemen!
Zillion - Famous for having the best box art of the Master System.

So there you have it. Sega has a ton of racing games, some overrated franchises, some too long gone to be revived and that furry blue rodent who autistic man-children combine with Nintendo to get the object of their sexual desires. There are also a few great titles in need of a modern take and I hope to see they receive one.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
Scherge
Evil Dead

All this talk about fighting game franchises, and no "Virtua Fighter"? Am I the only person left on the planet still holding out hope for VF6? I am? *sigh* Also, I wouldn't mind another "Beach Spikers"...
Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Rommel's list is also missing Alpha Protocol, a fairly mediocre and buggy Obsidian made spy rpg. Really though out of all of the games on that list, zero of them would likely translate well today. As for the sports games they sold that entire line including developer Visual Concepts to Take Two, who promptly drove the entire line into the ground except for NBA2k because they refused to spend the money to compete with EA.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
All this talk about fighting game franchises, and no "Virtua Fighter"? Am I the only person left on the planet still holding out hope for VF6? I am? *sigh* Also, I wouldn't mind another "Beach Spikers"...
I mentioned that Sega has a third fighting game we might want but it isn't listed in the Wiki article. I would have added it as I love VF but, by the end of that atrocious post I was ready to take a nap.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

I'd be down for Jet Set Radio or NiGHTS built for a modern system. I'd be up for more Streets of Rage and Golden Axe too, though they'd have to do something very interesting with the format. Wouldn't mind seeing a new Ecco too, though not sure if I could get back into that like I was when I only had 6 games to play.

Obviously not as old, but I'm hoping they'll have a new Sonic & All-Stars Racing in the pipeline before long. As much as I enjoy them both, Transformed was a better kart racer than Mario Kart 8 in almost every respect.

Quote:
Bayonetta - After selling well on PC, this is the first no brainer.
Wonder if Platinum would publish Bayonetta with Sega again, or if Nintendo has that IP locked down for future entries.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
Juan
Evil Dead

Outrun 3 is the only Sega title that comes to mind that i REALLY want to see.

Other than that 90%+ of what they have is either forgotten or arcadey titles that don't really work in the modern world. Sega are a case study in how to fuck a company up.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Outrun 3 is the only Sega title that comes to mind that i REALLY want to see.

Other than that 90%+ of what they have is either forgotten or arcadey titles that don't really work in the modern world. Sega are a case study in how to fuck a company up.
Really? I'd say they're a case study for a company that tried to cater to their fans for too long, got left behind by the changing market and does an admirable job of reinventing itself on a different platform. Have you seen the Steam numbers for any given "Football Manager"? "Total War" and some other PC titles are doing alright, too. At the same time, old people like myself still like them for (very) occasionally releasing high-quality old-school games like "Yakuza 0" or "Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown".

I don't think I'll ever give up on SEGA, no matter how many Hatsune Miku or Sonic games they cram down our throats...

Last edited by Scherge; 05-16-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Give me all the RPG's,Alpha Protocol,VF6,Madworld and a good Spikout or SoR(or both Crossover anyone?).

Sega Soccer Slam. Rocket League proves goofy fun sports games can do well if they are well made. NBA Jam,NBA NFL Street ,just knock these off Sega.

Sega Bass Fishing! The only fishing IP worth anybodys time.

Otogi or Bayanetta could be good.

Sakura Wars I want to say I played that on the Dreamcast or maybe it was just a demo but give some more of that its sorta Fire Eblem with Steampowered Mechs.

Last edited by EL CABONG; 05-16-2017 at 11:44 AM..
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If you ever sully the name of Panzer Dragoon again with the word "Mobile," I will butt rape Tracer in front of you while I make her suck my big toe. IN FRONT OF YOU!
Who says I'm not into that?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega