Sega Genesis Mini Reviews
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 05:01 AM
26 Replies, 973 Views

Old 05-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Adventures in Rockstar support

So, last weekend I decided to play some GTA Vice City on my Android phone using my Moga HERO Power controller. It's been a while since I have done this, but I have done it before. To my surprise, the controller didn't work at all with the game. It worked with other games, just not Vice City. I then tried my older Moga Pocket controller (which has also worked before) and got the same result. Same result when I tried it on my Nexus 7.

So, like any good consumer, I contacted Moga and Rockstar support. Here's what happened:
  • Sunday, April 26
I go to both the Moga and Rockstar support pages and create a support ticket on each, describing my issues with Vice City on my phone. I don't really expect a response since it's a Sunday, and, other than an automated email that my support request has been received, neither company disappoints.
  • Monday, April 27
I get a reply from Moga. Unfortunately, it's not much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli T. (MOGA Support)
If you're having an issue with your MOGA not working properly with a specific game, please reach out to the game developer directly. Game developers are responsible for making sure their games are compatible with the latest MOGA software, and may occasionally interrupt compatibility with an update.
They basically say it's not their problem and that I need to talk to Rockstar about it.

This is a very surprising response to say the least. I would assume that it was Moga who needed developers, and no the other way around. I would think it would be in their best interest to contact Rockstar themselves to see if there was anything they could do, or to look at their own Pivot driver software to see if a recent Android update didn't break something. Apparently, they disagree.

But at least they responded. There was no reply from Rockstar on this date.
  • Tuesday, April 28
I finally get a reply from Rockstar. Only it's not a response to my issue. Instead, they apologize for the delayed response and then inquire as to whether the issue is an issue. So at this point I'm speculating that this is standard Rockstar email support -- sit on it for two days, and then get the consumer to support a second ticket request. This probably does reduce the support load for them, at the expense of non-supported consumers. Now, of course, I may be wrong about that, but first impressions are a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy S., Apr 28, 3:10 AM
We apologize for the extended response time.

The purpose of this email is to see if you are still experiencing problems with our game. If you are still experiencing issues, please respond to this email so that we may assist you further.
I update the ticket and tell them that, yes, this is still an issue. I also mention that I contacted Moga as well, who said it was their (Rockstar's) issue.
  • Wednesday, April 29
Nothing from Rockstar. In an effort to "bump" my support request, I add a note that the issue occurs with the game on my Nexus 7 as well, which also used to work with the controllers just fine.
  • Thursday, April 30
Silence from Rockstar. I'll bump again tomorrow.
  • Friday, May 1
Still no reply, so I update the support request again. I point out that it has been 5 business days and I still have not had anyone respond to my issue (not even that it is being looked at).
  • Saturday, May 2
Crickets.
  • Sunday, May 3
Finally, a response from Rockstar! They again apologize for the delayed response, but they are letting me know that they have released patch 350.1 to fix this issue! They even provide me a link to the patch notes! I'm not kidding about this at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy S., May 3, 5:26 AM
We do apologize for the delay in our response and for inconvenience caused to you.

To fix this issue we have released the latest patch 350.1. For more information, we request you to follow the below mentioned link:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/205086728

If still you are facing issue then request you to please let us know
At this point I'm stunned (but I probably should not be). Patch 350.1 is for the PC version of GTA V and has absolutely nothing to do with the Android version of GTA Vice City. As the official support from Rockstar itself, you would kinda assume they would know that.

So now I'm wondering if anyone on the "Tier 1" level of support has any clue as to what they are doing. My guess is that these "support" people are part of an oversees call center who don't understand the business at all (and probably do this for multiple companies). They are literally going through a "script" of common issues and firing off the last thing they get to.

Regardless, I shot back a response letting them know that I was confused about a support reply that had nothing to do with my issue.

So right now I'm eagerly awaiting a response (which will probably be sometime next weekend I'm assuming).
Old 05-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

(reserved in case more space is needed)
Old 05-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

I can help you avoid this problem entirely. In fact, here is the issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
I decided to play some GTA Vice City on my Android phone
There's your problem right there!

Actually, I love gaming on my phone. It's become my biggest time sink for gaming due to convenience.

Hope you get it worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Damn, it's like a bad text based RPG.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Damn, it's like a bad text based RPG.
It's a choose your own adventure, with all roads leading to the same result.

<click...dial tone...>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote