Sega Genesis Mini Reviews
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 05:01 AM
26 Replies, 973 Views

Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Financial Results Worse Than Expected on Slumping Wii U and 3DS Sales

Game Informer is reporting that Nintendo has revealed its financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31st, 2014. Sales and operating income fell short of the already lowered projections.

Quote:
Net income was slightly up on the back of favorable exchange rates. Nintendo predicted a loss of ¥25 billion ($245.4 million) and ended with ¥23.22 billion in losses ($227.9 million).

This brings Nintendo’s total operating losses to ¥120.16 billion ($1.18 billion) for the last three years combined. Nintendo is projecting positive operations of ¥40 billion ($392.7 million) for the current fiscal year.

Wii U and 3DS sales missed their marks. Nintendo sold 2.72 million Wii Us against a January 2014 goal of 2.8 million for the year. This target was a third of the 9 million the company originally promised to sell for the period.

3DS sales also slumped with 12.24 million units sold for the fiscal year against a revised forecast of 13.5 million. In April 2013, Nintendo promised investors it would move 18 million handhelds.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

I haven't owned anything Nintendo since Super NES
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Ozena
Evil Dead

There have only been 6 million Wii U's sold since launch 16 months ago. PS4 surpassed that in five.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post

I haven't owned anything Nintendo since Super NES
You've missed out on a LOT of fantastic games then. Nintendo catches a lot of flak, especially on this website, but they have consistently pushed out at least a couple solid 1st party titles every single year. I really don't expect anything more than that from them. People have these expectations that Nintendo is supposed to be exactly like Microsoft and Sony when it comes to gaming, but they are so very different.

And those numbers don't really look too far below their forecast. Every business goes through a few bad years every once in a while. They will bounce back.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozena View Post
There have only been 6 million Wii U's sold since launch 16 months ago. PS4 surpassed that in five.
At least WiiU has more than 1 good game. My PS4 has been a paperweight since last November. Hype is a hell of a thing when it comes to sales.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Good news for collectors, bad news for investors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Yeah, that's gotta hurt. Smash Bros and Mario Kart should help quite a bit, as they are nintendo's best selling franchises. Not to mention the just announced (today!) Ruby and Sapphire remake.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I'm just not interested in kiddy games any more. If there was a good MGS or Resident Evil on the U, I'd buy one but, those are the only titles I'm interested in (or games like it). I think the demographics have changed and people simply aren't as interested in Nintendo's franchise games. People were bitching in another topic that COD is same-old, same-old but, that seems to describe Nintendo to a T. Remakes and Rehashes. That's Nintendo.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post

And those numbers don't really look too far below their forecast. Every business goes through a few bad years every once in a while. They will bounce back.
Totally.

The thing is, videogames are an industry where if you mis-step, it takes years to get back on track. Everyone is holding up SOny as an example of somehow "getting it", but they are the same company who, ten years ago, was telling people to get second jobs to afford their console. It took them 10 years to get back on track.

I think Nintendo gets the message, but I think it won't be until 2016 that you really get to see the fruits of what that means.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I'm just not interested in kiddy games any more. If there was a good MGS or Resident Evil on the U, I'd buy one but, those are the only titles I'm interested in (or games like it). I think the demographics have changed and people simply aren't as interested in Nintendo's franchise games. People were bitching in another topic that COD is same-old, same-old but, that seems to describe Nintendo to a T. Remakes and Rehashes. That's Nintendo.
Different perspectives are so funny. I see Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid as being "kiddy games". Completely incoherent plots where people behave in the most outlandish and cartoonish way possible. Blood, guts, and sex don't make stuff less childish. It just makes it for the children who don't have decent parents.

I mean, I can't say it enough, but Resident Evil 4 features an evil midget dressed like Napoleon who chases after you in a giant robotic version of himself. The badguys, completely un-ironically mind you, leave a folder laying out in the open for the hero to find that says "Our Plan". Not to mention numerous notes that tell you exactly what's coming up down the road.

Why is a giant lizard who chases after you with a robotic clown copter somehow less mature than an evil midget dressed like napoleon who chases after you in a robotic version of HIMSELF?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Ozena
Evil Dead

Kiddy =/= immature/ridiculous. I wouldn't market RE towards a child.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Squirrelinabox
Squire

ZombieU was pretty solid.
Squirrelinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
LugNutX
Knight

So it stopped printing money? Probably just out of paper.

Or that PC Load Letter error.

They'll sort it out.
LugNutX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Best thing that could happen is Apple buys Nintendo. Would destroy Samedung overnight.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Best thing that could happen is Apple buys Nintendo. Would destroy Samedung overnight.
Never gonna happen. Japanese companies do not get sold to US companies.
Besides, Apple makes more selling hardware than they ever would selling games. They have zero need for Nintendo.

As for Nintendo this was expected. Nothing can stop the failure that is the Wii U. If they're lucky they might sell 15 million consoles before its time to shut it down. Im expecting a new console in 2016/2017. If there still is a market for consoles by then. Its diminishing fast due to mobile games. This console generation will be a lot smaller than the last one.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Interesting. They could bloat the WiiU app store with a trillion horrific titles that all have in game purchases at the touch of a button. I thought we were a bit more anti "pay to win"?
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Different perspectives are so funny. I see Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid as being "kiddy games". Completely incoherent plots where people behave in the most outlandish and cartoonish way possible. Blood, guts, and sex don't make stuff less childish. It just makes it for the children who don't have decent parents.

I mean, I can't say it enough, but Resident Evil 4 features an evil midget dressed like Napoleon who chases after you in a giant robotic version of himself. The badguys, completely un-ironically mind you, leave a folder laying out in the open for the hero to find that says "Our Plan". Not to mention numerous notes that tell you exactly what's coming up down the road.
How about addressing my message instead of attacking the messenger? My message was that Nintendo hasn't changed with the times and produces nothing but, re-hashes and remakes. Your response was to attack the games I like and not address my message.

I didn't say Mario and Pokemon were stupid. I said they're not something I want to play anymore. How many gens of hardware are you going to re-buy the same games over and over again? Honestly, I'd rather get chased by a murderous midget than play a virtual cock fight where I collect animal characters and make them fight each other.

RE4 was the best game on the gamecube. One of the best games ever. It's the only reason I owned a GC. If Nintendo wants me to buy their hardware, they need to make games I like. So far, they haven't. It's fine that you don't agree with me. That's not the point of this topic though.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
At least WiiU has more than 1 good game. My PS4 has been a paperweight since last November. Hype is a hell of a thing when it comes to sales.
The WiiU has games!? Last I heard it was two paperweights that no one used in over a year.

And if you've not been using the PS4, you've been missing out on a lot of really fun games. But, hey, if you want to be stuck with two paperweights instead of a console with great games, more power to you.

OPINIONS!
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
The WiiU has games!? Last I heard it was two paperweights that no one used in over a year.

And if you've not been using the PS4, you've been missing out on a lot of really fun games. But, hey, if you want to be stuck with two paperweights instead of a console with great games, more power to you.

OPINIONS!
What are these "really fun games" on the PS4 that there are "a lot of"? For the last two weeks I forgot I even owned one.

Tags
nintendo