Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 12:47 AM
5 Replies, 589 Views

Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo Skips E3 Again

Quote:
Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the “Nintendo Digital Event,” a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.
How the mighty have fallen.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Venkman
Evil Dead

Daily gaming news… with schadenfreude.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

I don't know how to feel about this, they should keep promoting the wii u as I feel it's a great second console. Oh well, i think it will remain a nintendo games playing machine
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Just being at E3 is about the most expensive thing core publishers do all year. It's no secret Nintendo is using this generation to trim fat, and Nintendo does their own launch events so they aren't drowned out by all the other obnoxious things going on. When there isn't any new hardware you want the public to get their hands on, and when you've already announced all of your releases for the next few quarters, I say good for them. There's much wiser things to spend your resources on besides the biggest "frat party" in the industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Just being at E3 is about the most expensive thing core publishers do all year. It's no secret Nintendo is using this generation to trim fat, and Nintendo does their own launch events so they aren't drowned out by all the other obnoxious things going on. When there isn't any new hardware you want the public to get their hands on, and when you've already announced all of your releases for the next few quarters, I say good for them. There's much wiser things to spend your resources on besides the biggest "frat party" in the industry.
I approve of the idea of not doing an E3 presentation to save costs, except that they aren't saving any money. They are still going to be on the show floor, which is probably the most expensive part of the show.

I see this more as an acknowledgement of the that they don't have enough interesting software to show off to fill up an hour and a half presentation.

It's kinda bowing down and admitting that they are going to be stuck in last place this generation.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Seems like a smart move. Save a significant amount of marketing money from E3 and focus that on developing some good titles for the Wii U this year and next. Gamers already know about the two big games coming out for Wii U this year, we don't need E3 to convince us to buy them (Super Smash Bros & Mario Kart)
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I approve of the idea of not doing an E3 presentation to save costs, except that they aren't saving any money. They are still going to be on the show floor, which is probably the most expensive part of the show.

I see this more as an acknowledgement of the that they don't have enough interesting software to show off to fill up an hour and a half presentation.

It's kinda bowing down and admitting that they are going to be stuck in last place this generation.

Breaking down the cost of an E3 booth for 2013

Average costs for "flashy" booths go as high as 500k, and the actual price per sqft is 10k. 600sqft is roughly 100k for the entire convention for a smart planner. That's peanuts compared to a full blown presentation in one of the galleries.

IMO the real cost of a presentation at E3 isn't paid to the convention itself, but for the time of your speakers and celebs.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:

Precisely. Your every word lately has been gaming gospel, keep it up!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Anemone
Evil Dead

They still have Spaceworld. No?
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Improving their image must be a priority because it's working.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

ugh. Nintendo.

what are you doing?

I mean, how does Nintendo even communicate with it's users anymore? Nintendo Power is gone. Magazines are dead. They don't go to E3 or other trade shows. They don't even do their OWN shows.

Nintendo Direct? I tried watching one of those one time and it was unwatchable. It was Iwata in a white room slowly slurring through broken English. That's hardly a replacement for Nintendo Power...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Radiozo
Evil Dead

They are doing a lot of stuff though but the press seems to ignore to report on those parts. Here is the full press release:

REDMOND, Wash., April 29, 2014 – Over the last few years, Nintendo has repeatedly reinvented its approach to E3 by creating unique ways to break news and get fans at home involved in the fun, while also offering great experiences for on-site attendees. That mission continues in 2014 as Nintendo offers a series of new channels to communicate news directly to its key audiences, including fans, media, analysts, investors and business partners. This includes a new format for unveiling news: the Nintendo Digital Event; a Super Smash Bros. tournament; a full slate of live, in-depth game demos from the Nintendo booth; and an opportunity for fans to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for the first time at their local Best Buy.

"We demonstrated last year that we are never afraid to reinvent a proven tactic or to break completely new ground if we believe it will provide the best experience for our fans, followers and partners," said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and chief operating officer. "So, whether you're attending E3 in person or joining online, there's an amazing lineup of games, experiences and events coming your way."

At E3 2014, Nintendo will offer four unique experiences, all under the unifying banner of "Play Nintendo."

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

Nintendo Digital Event
Every year, Nintendo looks for the best way to show its games and share its news with fans, media and other key audiences. In 2013, Nintendo decided to forgo a traditional press conference and use a video – in that case a Nintendo Direct – to share its news from E3. The company is building on that approach at E3 2014 with the "Nintendo Digital Event," a new kind of video program that will reveal and provide further detail about the gaming experiences on the way for Nintendo platforms in 2014 and beyond. The Nintendo Digital Event will air at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 10.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3
This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Radiozo
Evil Dead

And meanwhile at Microsoft: tv bla bla sports, kinect, sports, bla bla tv bla bla sports and some kinect

Ill take a nintendo direct any day before I watch a crappy Microsoft presentation.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
And meanwhile at Microsoft: tv bla bla sports, kinect, sports, bla bla tv bla bla sports and some kinect

Ill take a nintendo direct any day before I watch a crappy Microsoft presentation.
yeah, pretty much this. I wonder if the tv tv tv sports tv tv shows tv tv is going to be worse this year :P
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:

Your right but they could also like you know make some console games. That might help the WiiU
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Your right but they could also like you know make some console games. That might help the WiiU
Seriously...If they could just announce Bayonetta 2 WiiU exclusive by Christmas 2014, I would re-dedicate an HDMI port to the WiiU sitting there with nothing worth turning it on for in 2 months.

And if they can't do that, then why the fuck not? The fuck are they doing over there?
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
Trickyicky
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
yeah, pretty much this. I wonder if the tv tv tv sports tv tv shows tv tv is going to be worse this year :P
Trickyicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Not at E3 and still the only one of the big three I'll prolly watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what EA has in the pipeline though, and getting some long awaited updates on a couple Ubi titles I'm watching. Figure they'll still do their big presentations. I'd be perfectly happy with everyone doing these digital broadcasts though. I just care about the games, not the pomp and circumstance with special guests, dancers, pyrotechnics, and whatnot.

On a side note, I'm a pretty big fan of Nintendo's Nintendo Direct presentations. Gives us a ton of good info every month or so. I'm still kinda reeling from the huge Smash Bros info drop on the last one (about an hour of content for Smash Bros alone, good stuff). Sony had something similar with Pulse for awhile--which I enjoyed but was a little too filler heavy--guess that was canned at some point. I'd like to see Sony and MS do their own Directs.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
see colon
Evil Dead

Last years Nintendo Direct is what convinced me to buy a WiiU and wait on PS4 and XBONE. They showed new, exclusive games while MS and Sony spewed on about multimedia features and how good the dogs look in Call of Duty. Oh, and how there are a bunch of games coming out for current gen that are worthwhile.

Here we are, a year later, and PS4/XBONE have paltry libraries of exclusives and I have my handfull of WiiU games that I enjoy. Not a ton, but there's more there than many people give them credit for.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #20
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
Last years Nintendo Direct is what convinced me to buy a WiiU and wait on PS4 and XBONE. They showed new, exclusive games while MS and Sony spewed on about multimedia features and how good the dogs look in Call of Duty. Oh, and how there are a bunch of games coming out for current gen that are worthwhile.

Here we are, a year later, and PS4/XBONE have paltry libraries of exclusives and I have my handfull of WiiU games that I enjoy. Not a ton, but there's more there than many people give them credit for.
You made the right decision.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failboat, nintendo