See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,491 Views

Old 05-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

No Man's Sky Delayed Until August

As first-reported right here on EvAv, the Sony PlayStation Blog has been updated with word that No Man's Sky has been delayed until August.

Quote:
However, as we approached our final deadlines, we realized that some key moments needed extra polish to bring them up to our standards. I have had to make the tough choice to delay the game for a few weeks to allow us to deliver something special.

After a short delay, No Mans Sky will launch in North America on August 9, in Europe August 10, and in the UK August 12.

We understand that this news is disappointing. Making this game is the hardest thing Ive ever done in my life, but we are so close now, and were prepared to make the tough choices to get it right.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Lutheran
Dreadnought

Polish her up, I will still give you my money in August..
Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Delaying a dumb game like Asassin's Creed is maybe something people can be upset about. But delaying a game like this is something no gamer should actually be upset about. This is something that will hopefully stand the test of time as opposed to disposable crap that comes out every year.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Damn, oh well, Factorio's 0.13 is June 1st-ish anyway so, was likely going to disappear in there for a month regardless.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
NightRain
Evil Dead

PC version delayed because of PS4... excellent... pretty much what I expected anyway... this game is probably going to suck but looks like it has a ton of potential

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Take a look at the pic. I don't know what it is but I love it. Maybe it's the synchronized space launches.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
actusoul
Evil Dead

This is one game that could be great or an epic failure. Will be interesting to read the reviews.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Already preordered this so it's not like I have a choice.

Fly or fail, it's going to be an experience, and likely one of the most ambitious games ever attempted in terms of sheer scope, that's for sure.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
This is one game that could be great or an epic failure. Will be interesting to read the reviews.
Spore 2.0.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Spore 2.0.
Remember what Spore was supposed to do an look like.

Check out the 2:40 mark and 35 minute mark, roughly.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #11
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I'm OK with this. It pushes it to the mid-term. If over watch sucked I might be more annoyed.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
There's enough media out right now to have a good idea of what the game is.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I suspect that while you can explore forever and forever, that there isn't going to be enough "content" to justify the price.

I find that Elite Dangerous kinda suffers from the same problem. Sure you can fly around a massive universe, but why bother?

For people that enjoy that whole thing where you just fly around and explore and get to name planets and systems it will be a gold mine.

I'm willing to give it a shot. Spore was fun for a while. Black & White was fun for a while. And since Elite isn't available on the PS4, it's an easy choice to make.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I suspect that while you can explore forever and forever, that there isn't going to be enough "content" to justify the price.

I find that Elite Dangerous kinda suffers from the same problem. Sure you can fly around a massive universe, but why bother?

For people that enjoy that whole thing where you just fly around and explore and get to name planets and systems it will be a gold mine.

I'm willing to give it a shot. Spore was fun for a while. Black & White was fun for a while. And since Elite isn't available on the PS4, it's an easy choice to make.
Agreed. How hard would it be to put in some random space alien generator or random content generator?

I might fly around the verse in ED more if I had the chance to find something unique.

Maybe you could even capture the aliens and force them to do battle with other players captures.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

***Potential Spoilers / Theory Spoilers***

Quote:
I suspect you mean depth of variability in gameplay. Remains to be seen. They seem to be taking an open-ended approach much like Minecraft took, and it's not like Minecraft had any problem with content like this.

Quote:
They've given you a galaxy-scale goal: to find other people. And the only way to do that is to get to the century of the galaxy. There might arise a phase2 of the game at that point, where people can finally play together and combine powers. Who knows. The entire galaxy might even phase at that point, WoW-style, to defeating the machine-threat in a way that requires many players to all work together gathering resources and building warships to collectively destroy the machine-threat at the center of the galaxy which is working to destabilize the black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy and thus cause it to blow up in a galaxy-scale Ultranova that would destroy our entire galaxy.

What will begin at that point is that everyone who makes it to the center of the galaxy will realize what's going on and join the quest to protect the galaxy, or else ignore it and accept their fate--the actual destruction of the galaxy would takes thousands of years even after the blackhole-blows.

For me that would be the ultimate ending to the game, a collective destruction of the central machine threat by the players at large.

And once the machine threat is defeated the game still continues because you can still do all those other things and enjoy a human-protected galaxy, but it sets them up to release NMS2.

Even the name NMS suggests an ending like this, as it recalls the nomenclature invented to describe the dangerous dead-zones between trenches of World War I: no man's land.

This game is named after a terrible war between galaxy-scale enemies.

I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when we see planets being protected by robots. That weak threat may turn into a gigantic one.

And the fantastic thing is, and this may be the creator's greatest secret, that he can drive conflict with this robot enemy in the same way that he's creating worlds. He can create an entire ecosystem of organic conflict, of war on all fronts and from all directions, he can procedurally-generate enemy activity and thus create a game that takes the combined effort of thousands of people to defeat over the course of, say, a year or two.

And the major tuning factor in difficulty will just be how many people are actually trying to defeat it.

If he does this, he'll go down as a great creator and NMS will be the first of many.

Pro-gen has much more utility than merely creating worlds, if he applies it to creating conflict then he'll have, potentially, something very special.

We've seen some precedent for this, so it's not like I'm inventing things whole cloth here--the very popular game World of Warcraft has had various world-events, not raids, that required people in the world to come together by the many dozens and take on bosses that were even more powerful than raid bosses, like the world-scale events that open the gates of Ahn'Qiraj (or however you spell that).

This is what I hope young Sean has pulled out of his hat. If he hasn't, then it's sad that I can come up with such a compelling goal and ending for his game than a guy that's been working on it for years.

Edit: We also run into alien races quite a bit in this game and learn their language, and have faction rep. This might become important in time. Gain faction with someone and they end up helping you defeat the machine threat in the end of the game, etc. Or possibly also conflict with other players if one were to, say, take control of a planet by force and thus suck their resources, which then need to be defended from other players in a galaxy-scale game of king of the hill.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Delay as long as they want, I'm fine with it. I just hope it makes me feel like I did when I played Starflight way back on my Amiga in 1989. Because NO space game has ever done anything for me since (except Mass Effect), Starflight was like the pinnacle of awesome.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Delay as long as they want, I'm fine with it. I just hope it makes me feel like I did when I played Starflight way back on my Amiga in 1989. Because NO space game has ever done anything for me since (except Mass Effect), Starflight was like the pinnacle of awesome.
Never heard of it.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Starlight was amazing.

Anemone, you have though a lot about this game, that usually don't bode well for your experience of actually playing it. I hope you can enjoy it still. Although the game you describe wouldn't be that hard to do it seems.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
Starlight was amazing.

Anemone, you have though a lot about this game, that usually don't bode well for your experience of actually playing it. I hope you can enjoy it still. Although the game you describe wouldn't be that hard to do it seems.
I'm not too worried, I think a lot about lots of things and my expectations for this aren't too high because I think the pro-gen tech they're pioneering here is hard to wrangle and not in an advanced state. I'm excited however that this advancement is occurring at all, and that's why I'm supporting it with a prepurchase. This game could be great, but will likely be at least good. But if it's great then gaming will move in this direction and much more pro-gen gaming development will then take place, and we will find ourselves in a much better gaming world soon after, where pro-gen becomes a rule rather than an exception, and that is a good place to be.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I'm not too worried, I think a lot about lots of things and my expectations for this aren't too high because I think the pro-gen tech they're pioneering here is hard to wrangle and not in an advanced state. I'm excited however that this advancement is occurring at all, and that's why I'm supporting it with a prepurchase. This game could be great, but will likely be at least good. But if it's great then gaming will move in this direction and much more pro-gen gaming development will then take place, and we will find ourselves in a much better gaming world soon after, where pro-gen becomes a rule rather than an exception, and that is a good place to be.
Your expectations shouldn't be high because every show off of the game it just doesn't look like it's any fun to actually play. Pro-gen isn't this new wonder cure all for game development, it's been around forever.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no man's sky