Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 12:47 AM
5 Replies, 589 Views

Old 08-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
RAV
Soul Reaper

GoG 2.0 -- All-In-One Games Platform

I haven't seen this discussed here yet.

Apparently, Good Old Games is currently working on the second generation of its digital delivery platform.

It unifies all your accounts, from Steam to pretty much any other store front out there.
It even pulls from all your console accounts.

It logs into all at once, and presents all the games you own as if it were on one platform.

This would seriously clean up the mess, and you don't need to mind anymore which platform you prefer.

Learn more in this video, of a guy who just also happens to go by the name GoodOldGamer.

RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Very interesting. I'll have to give this a spin. Their GOG Galaxy (1.0?) was kinda pointless, but I like the whole unifying things aspect of this.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Hmmmm... My interest has been peeked.

Nice find.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
My interest has been peeked.
Somebody looked at your interest?

Mine has been piqued, personally! Others' interest may have peaked!

<hug it out!>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

I think quite a few folks are liking the aggregation feature. I personally am not interested in that feature but am probably a minority there. Thanks for the video, I've been meaning to catch up on what all is new with this.
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:50 AM   #6
RAV
Soul Reaper

I'm stretching the topic now, but I really wonder if this is gonna be the swan song of downloadable games.

I mean with the next generation of streaming coming in -- I know, I know, latency and all.
But the new features they are developing for it are just so awesome.
The ability to freeze a game at any point and send a link to someone else, who's clicking it and keeps playing from there. The integrated streaming to other viewers and even giving them controls. Being able to just transfer a game in its current state to any device you have. Running an AAA game on any shit machine there is, phones, tablets, TV, Rhaspberry. (This might just crush the whole premise of the Switch.). No long download, installation and patching time -- just instant click and play. And so much more crazy shit with connectivity and shared processing power, you never even thought about, that's only possible because the game is virtualized in the cloud.

It makes the old model look too static, too isolated, and too dusty. Not every game is sensitive the same to latency, and there might be entire new genres developed just for it, where you don't care about latency. But I also think this will spark a huge amount of effort in the industry to improve latency. Kinda everyone wants these features, they will find ways to make this work.

I mean aside from that they are building the Internet 2.0 right now. A whole new network of satellites that brings cheap high speed internet with low latency to every corner of the world. We only got now the tech to do that, and only because we got cheap space flight now, after the privatization of the rockets industry. When you combine these two technologies, the streaming might come sooner than you think.

It will probably spawn a whole new debate and complaints about ownership rights on content. further disenfranchising customers, and god knows how modding will work with this :/ ....

But it's coming rather sooner than later for sure now. And we will learn to like it for the convenience, just like we learned to appreciate downloadable games in the first place. Or reading thousands of books on one Kindle. Or streaming thousands of movies from the cloud. Now your gaming machine doesn't need big harddisk drives anymore either -- and everything available instantly.

ahem, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. You know, maybe there is some things to complain about current gaming (as there always was at any point in time, despite the bright sides), and maybe there is some potential concerns about the new tech (as there always will be, despite the cool potential), but there is no doubt I wouldn't go back to how things worked 30 years ago, and then I look at these new developments, I already know the future can't come fast enough.

Last edited by RAV; 08-24-2019 at 02:06 AM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote