21 Replies, 1,513 Views
Pet Sematary Remake...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 05:22 AM
25 Replies, 2,883 Views

Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
skribb
Death Knight

Question Looking for promo images from F.E.A.R (2005)

I recall back in 2004, when the first promo images of F.E.A.R were released.

what I recall is that one image (I think the initial promo image batch was 2-3 images) was an in-engine shot of a fat guy sitting at his computer desk, with a comical frightened expression on his face, and on the desk was a can of Pepsi, but the Pepsi was labeled "Pispee". I do not recall what the other promo images depicted.

It was not a screenshot from the game, as the image was very comedic in nature (which at the time lead me to believe that FEAR was going to be a spoof game just like NOLF).

I know i'm not misremembering because I found a forum post I made in 2004 referencing this image, but I didn't post the actual image in that thread:
https://www.gtasajten.com/topic/1696...comment-251396

Does anyone have this image or know where to start sleuthing for it?

I haven't been a gamer for 10 years so I'm totally out of the loop on where to find game images. The gaming website I used to frequent has since long been shutdown (ActionTrip, for anyone interested), and the usually exhaustive MobyGames does not have this image in their archive.
skribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I suspect you might be referencing some unapproved leaked material from very early on in F.E.A.R.'s development that could have gone astray between Vinvindi and Monolith before the concept and story had been decided upon.

I worked on F.E.A.R. and by the time marketing had kicked in the serious action and horror vibe of F.E.A.R. had been established. I doubt any approved promo shots would have been of an comedic value at all.

Granted, I left before the final Geo-Poly reviews but I am reasonably sure "Pispee" would have been caught and excised by either Monolith's or Vinvindi's geo-poly reviews well before release. It wouldn't be the first time something stupid made it through on some marketing material but that combined with a comedic inference makes me think you may have seen something from super early in development before the actual F.E.A.R./Alma story and concept took hold in the team.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
skribb
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I suspect you might be referencing some unapproved leaked material from very early on in F.E.A.R.'s development that could have gone astray between Vinvindi and Monolith before the concept and story had been decided upon.

I worked on F.E.A.R. and by the time marketing had kicked in the serious action and horror vibe of F.E.A.R. had been established. I doubt any approved promo shots would have been of an comedic value at all.

Granted, I left before the final Geo-Poly reviews but I am reasonably sure "Pispee" would have been caught and excised by either Monolith's or Vinvindi's geo-poly reviews well before release. It wouldn't be the first time something stupid made it through on some marketing material but that combined with a comedic inference makes me think you may have seen something from super early in development before the actual F.E.A.R./Alma story and concept took hold in the team.
thanks for the reply!

yeah it makes sense that it could be a alpha leak of some kind. At the time I seriously thought that FEAR was going to be as comedic as NOLF because that shot was such a NOLF-esque image. but it seemed official in the sense that it was very "desktop wallpaper-y" in its design and the framing of the shot, you know kinda like the Doom 3 promo:

" It wouldn't be the first time something stupid made it through on some marketing material"
Do you have any examples of note? Sounds interesting.

3 more things:
1. what is Geo-Poly? Google is of little help in this case
2. funnily enough "pispee" is also a spanish word meaning "gaze" according to wiktionary
3. You mean Vivendi right? :P
Old 10-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

1) Geo-Poly is "geo-political", it is a review which is partially a legal review but also tries to hit cultural touch points to make sure the game doesn't do things that will overtly (or covertly) offend or cause geo-political issues.

For example a game which might accidentally use a religious script or book in a sacrilegious context that would offend a large population.

Or the old examples of "Chevy Nova" meaning "shit" in Spanish being the reason the car didn't sell (I think this was just an excuse but I'm too lazy to hit Snopes).

Or the Pepsi slogan from a few decades ago "The choice of the new generation" translating to Chinese as "It brings your ancestors to life."

When I worked on Windows when you picked your timezone they used to do a highlight stripe where your timezone fell. Well in Win 95 they did the highlight stripe through Tibet for one of the timezones and China felt that Microsoft was giving official recognition to Tibet as an entity separate from China which nearly led to an international incident.

This is a serious type of geo-poly issue they try to catch.

"Pispee" has obviously problematic naming which, depending on the game may or may not make it through. It could also depend on the rating someone was trying to get. An "E" or "T" game may want to avoid a name like that.

3) Yes, Vivendi. Autocorrect likes Vinvindi for some reason. Neither are real words.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
skribb
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
things

thanks a lot

Tags
fear, monolith, nolf, vivendi