Wait, it's free? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Q&A about Windows 10 install:
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...ws-10-upgrades

Quote:
But what about later? What if you wish to reinstall?

If you think about the way upgrades work now, you can of course choose what to keep at the time of the initial upgrade. So if you choose to keep “nothing,” you will do a sort of clean install right up front.

You can of course wipe the machine later using PC Reset or PC Refresh if you wish to as well.

But what if you want to do a “real” clean install?

Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed: It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.

This suggests that Windows 10 install media will be made available to upgraders, much as Microsoft today makes Windows 8.1 install media available for download. But I haven’t yet confirmed that this is the case, but I will do so.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #22
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Nice. Thanks for that Wolfgang. That particular point was my only holdup. I'll probably upgrade at some point, especially when one considers the price for current Window Users to upgrade!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #23
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
I have a free upgrade but I have always been against upgrading a previous versions and doing a clean install. This makes it easier to reinstall at a later date and not create any issues down the road. Is this still a valid opinion or should I just suck up and go the upgrade path?
Same, but I'm going to upgrade this time.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #24
Syl
Evil Dead

I've installed windows 10 multiple times fresh, I've also updated it multiple times over the past few months (dozens of times across multiple computers) and either one should work well at this point. Though I think a fresh install would be a bit better.

Mostly because if you have an SSD than windows 10 installs super, super fast. Single digit minutes fast. Upgrading it is considerably slower because it copies everything into a ridiculously large windows.old folder.

If you don't have an SSD then anything involving your computer is so damn slow that your operating system doesn't fucking matter in the first place.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #25
inscribed
Evil Dead

I'm holding off on any Windows upgrades until this develops more: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/super-s...oud-computing/

I'm not interested in making a Microsoft account either. That seems unnecessary. Even though they are offering 10 free for a while, if/when I get it, I think I'd torrent it just out of tradition.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #26
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
I'm holding off on any Windows upgrades until this develops more: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/super-s...oud-computing/

I'm not interested in making a Microsoft account either. That seems unnecessary. Even though they are offering 10 free for a while, if/when I get it, I think I'd torrent it just out of tradition.
If you want to use the Microsoft Store (aka App Store) you will need to use a Microsoft account just like with iPhone (iTunes Account) and Android (Google Play). You can use Windows 10 without a Microsoft Account. I use it at work on a domain with no Microsoft Account.

With Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 as a home user you will be able to use it without a Microsoft Account, but obviously that breaks all the app stuff (some apps you can use a Microsoft account individually instead of using a global account), auto settings back ups, etc...

http://www.baldnerd.com/install-wind...osoft-account/
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #27
Syl
Evil Dead

I'm more surprised people here are so worried about the "Microsoft Account." If you have ever used Xbox Live, free or paid, at all, you already have a microsoft account.

The microsoft account system is pretty cool anyway, made all those times I installed or updated windows 10 on my peripheral laptops really painless as it loaded all of my settings for me even after a clean install.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #28
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I've installed windows 10 multiple times fresh, I've also updated it multiple times over the past few months (dozens of times across multiple computers) and either one should work well at this point. Though I think a fresh install would be a bit better.

Mostly because if you have an SSD than windows 10 installs super, super fast. Single digit minutes fast. Upgrading it is considerably slower because it copies everything into a ridiculously large windows.old folder.
So you burned a fresh Windows 10 install to DVD or put it on USB? That's what I think a lot of us want to use, but you can only do that right now because it is in beta and doesn't require a license. After it goes live, you won't be able to do that right?

Also, if you get it as an upgrade and you need to format (for example, your SSD decides to die) then won't you have to install your old version of Windows, then do the Windows 10 upgrade? Also, won't you ONLY be able to do this for the year that the upgrade is free?

That's the scenario I anticipate happening. . . upgrade to Windows 10, a year passes, the SSD dies, reinstall and it says I need to buy a Windows 10 license at a price that has not yet been announced too. If I knew in advance that it was going to be around $100 like other Windows versions (at least for a Home user), then I wouldn't worry about this much. A possible $100 charge a year from now isn't that big of a deal.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #29
bean19
Butt Stallion

Just found out the costs: $120 for normal, $200 for pro

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/win.../1100-6427734/
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #30
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
So you burned a fresh Windows 10 install to DVD or put it on USB? That's what I think a lot of us want to use, but you can only do that right now because it is in beta and doesn't require a license. After it goes live, you won't be able to do that right?

Also, if you get it as an upgrade and you need to format (for example, your SSD decides to die) then won't you have to install your old version of Windows, then do the Windows 10 upgrade? Also, won't you ONLY be able to do this for the year that the upgrade is free?

That's the scenario I anticipate happening. . . upgrade to Windows 10, a year passes, the SSD dies, reinstall and it says I need to buy a Windows 10 license at a price that has not yet been announced too. If I knew in advance that it was going to be around $100 like other Windows versions (at least for a Home user), then I wouldn't worry about this much. A possible $100 charge a year from now isn't that big of a deal.
I've been installing windows from USB for years. It's super simple to do. As long as you have a key microsoft doesn't give a fuck where you get windows from, they have ISOs of all the major windows versions available for download from their website.

Your license from your previous windows version will transfer, that's kind of the entire point of this upgrade. If your SSD dies you will only lose your license if you lose your CD key and ALSO never logged into a microsoft account. Otherwise you should just need to sign into your microsoft account when you reinstall windows and you'll be good to go forever with that key.

Because the Windows 10 technical preview never asked for a cd key of any sort so I'm curious whats going to happen on my two computers where I'm using it when it transitions to the full version. Cause I sure as hell don't have the original keys from whatever windows was on those things in the first place. Probably not that big of a deal, i'll find a way.

(I'm also not going to pay $100 for a key for a laptop that is barely worth $50, but it was an experiment to try and run Windows 10 on an ancient acer netbook with 1.5 gigs of ram and a single core atom processor. It works, surprisingly.)
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #31
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Already answered... I know reading is hard!

Q&A about Windows 10 install:
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...ws-10-upgrades

Quote:
But what about later? What if you wish to reinstall?

If you think about the way upgrades work now, you can of course choose what to keep at the time of the initial upgrade. So if you choose to keep “nothing,” you will do a sort of clean install right up front.

You can of course wipe the machine later using PC Reset or PC Refresh if you wish to as well.

But what if you want to do a “real” clean install?

Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed: It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.

This suggests that Windows 10 install media will be made available to upgraders, much as Microsoft today makes Windows 8.1 install media available for download. But I haven’t yet confirmed that this is the case, but I will do so.
Also: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/05...ee-windows-10/

Quote:
Microsoft’s Gabriel Aul revealed the free Windows 10 upgrades in a single message on Twitter. The news was in a reply to a question asked by a Windows Insider interested in participating in the program. The user asks if users “will be able to upgrade to the [Windows 10] RTM version for free with [the Windows Insiders] preview?” Aul doesn’t mince words, simply replying “yes.”.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #32
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
(I'm also not going to pay $100 for a key for a laptop that is barely worth $50, but it was an experiment to try and run Windows 10 on an ancient acer netbook with 1.5 gigs of ram and a single core atom processor. It works, surprisingly.)
How well does it run? I have a dual core atom netbook with 2GB of ram and windows 7 starter is god awful slow on it. I toyed with the idea of installing Android on it just for a portable web device, but the wireless chipset it has isn't compatible.

So if you had Windows 7 starter on it and it works better with 10 I'd like to know!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #33
Syl
Evil Dead

Yep. Exactly what I had. It certainly works much better with windows 10. I do use a 4 gig SDcard for readyboost and that makes an extreme difference at hardware at this slow speed.

I think you could actually do quite a bit with a dual core atom, 2 gigs of ram and Windows 10. My single core can do plex and netflix, but not hulu for some reason. I mostly use it to play networked music and just to honestly see what it can handle, which isn't much.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #34
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
From the Win10 FAQ

What the hell does that mean??? Are they just going to move to a rental model from then on?

I will become a Linux pro so fast it will make their heads spin.

---

http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/11/wit...ajor-releases/
I had read somewhere that it actually had to do with the way legacy operating systems detect applications.

If you look for Windows 9 - you are going to get a return on 95/98.

I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense.

I still have to load XP once in a while for some of our clients - they run PLC software that just is never going to be updated & cost so much to purchase that they'd rather just run until they can't.

Yup.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #35
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post

I still have to load XP once in a while for some of our clients - they run PLC software that just is never going to be updated & cost so much to purchase that they'd rather just run until they can't.

Yup.
I once did contract tech support for a company that had to run a Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups!) computer because they had these government contracts that needed documents printed on this ridiculously expensive printer that didn't have support for 95 or anything newer. Of course the documents couldn't be created on a computer that old. I don't remember the details of the solution but it involved a 3rd computer that would rip the document and spit it out to the Windows 3.11 computer and they would have to run a .bat file that I had scripted to print and delete the file from there. It worked 75% of the time. Windows Vista was out or nearly out at the time, IIRC.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #36
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
I once did contract tech support for a company that had to run a Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups!) computer because they had these government contracts that needed documents printed on this ridiculously expensive printer that didn't have support for 95 or anything newer. Of course the documents couldn't be created on a computer that old. I don't remember the details of the solution but it involved a 3rd computer that would rip the document and spit it out to the Windows 3.11 computer and they would have to run a .bat file that I had scripted to print and delete the file from there. It worked 75% of the time. Windows Vista was out or nearly out at the time, IIRC.
Fun, just wait until it's like 2250 and people are running 300 year old computer code :P
Old 06-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #37
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I'm going on six or seven years on my current install. It's ridiculous. I've got it exactly how I want it.
How can you sleep at night? Get in there & fuck something up already!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #38
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
How can you sleep at night? Get in there & fuck something up already!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #39
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Fun, just wait until it's like 2250 and people are running 300 year old computer code :P
Dude, your body is running MUCH older genetic code. It'll be alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #40
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Hahah!

I'm at the point of wanting to do a reload now - everything works great, but I guess I'm just trained from the ol XP days... been a while... I should probably reload the OS...

Tags
win10