Today 12:27 AM
9 Replies, 448 Views

Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Final Fantasy VII Remake Undergoes A Big Development Change

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Square Enix's Final Fantasy VII Remake is moving forward, but under a new development setup of sorts. Gematsu reports that the publisher said recently during a livestream event that the project is now being made internally at Square Enix instead of with the support of external help.

Additionally, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII main programmer Haoki Hamguchi is now leading development on Final Fantasy VII Remake for Square Enix.

"I've taken charge on the development side for Final Fantasy VII Remake," Hamaguchi said during a livestream for Mobius Final Fantasy, for which he is the project lead. "As for the whole story, (it's a sensitive topic, but) until now, development was moving forward with external cooperation, but the company has decided to shift to an internal setup, including mass production and quality, because we want to control everything, including quality, on a stable schedule. (I won't be leaving Mobius Final Fantasy.)"
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Could it be that seeing what a disappointment Hitman's episodic release was that they're dropping the stupid episodic release format they were talking about earlier and just release the damn thing as a full retail product? Well we can always dream can't we?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
dirtbag
El Matador

How many re-releases of FF7 can we possibly get? Let's have some of the other classic RPGs get a chance instead - Phantasie series, Última, Legacy of the Ancients, Pool of Radiance (gold box).

How did FF7 become the Weaboo touchstone of JRPG perfection anyway?
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Please be a single full retail release, not some stupid episodic garbage! I'll just stay with the original then.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

It's a frigging REMAKE! REMAKE. NOT RERELEASE.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Isn't Lightning Returns the one everybody hated? Where you play a turn base jrpg with only one playable character?

If So That Doesn't Sound Very Promising .
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

It sounds to me they do not want another FFXV situation, where a game takes a decade to complete and even that timeline was only possible because they renamed a title in process. Also, I assume the quality was not up to expectations for a game of this magnitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
How many re-releases of FF7 can we possibly get?
This is a remake, not a re-release.

Quote:
Let's have some of the other classic RPGs get a chance instead
That's not... that's not how this works. That's not how anything works. Do you think other games are being prevented from releasing because the market, stores or something is full?

Quote:
Phantasie series, Última, Legacy of the Ancients, Pool of Radiance (gold box).
Not a one of these games are Square titles. In fact, none of these are Square Enix titles. You're so off the mark that you managed to name titles that aren't even Japanese in origin. You really don't know anything about video games, do ya?

Quote:
How did FF7 become the Weaboo touchstone of JRPG perfection anyway?
Aw look, the idiot found an internet slur and thinks he knows how to use it. FFVII is the best selling title in one of the most popular franchises in the genre. It is one of the games that made the PSX the dominant machine of its generation and is often cited as the singular release that brought JRPGs to prominence in the North American territory. As the original's graphics were one of its selling points but have not aged well, for a mixture of reasons, fans have clamored for a remake that could offer the impactful experience the way they remember it. Want to complain about weebs, go to a Hyperdimension Neptunia thread or something. Better yet, go back to lurking.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
willbert
Reaper

Rommel, you are the man. Said exactly what i was thinking but much better.

I couldnt stand ffx thru xv. Episodic releases are yuck. VII needs the proper care and attention for this remake to be valid or meaningful. Hopefully they get it right.
willbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

I'm looking forward for the remaster of FFXII than this. I guess FFXII is more tangible and the whole episodic thing was a big downer.

Hopefully they don't release FFVII in pieces
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 AM   #10
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
FFVII is the best selling title in one of the most popular franchises in the genre. It is one of the games that made the PSX the dominant machine of its generation and is often cited as the singular release that brought JRPGs to prominence in the North American territory. As the original's graphics were one of its selling points but have not aged well, for a mixture of reasons, fans have clamored for a remake that could offer the impactful experience the way they remember it.
Well said! "Final Fantasy VII" was amazing at the time and is still great on a handheld (on a big TV, not so much).

I was under the impression that Square Enix would not only split the remake into episodes, but also change the content... i. e., make different games that, together, form the FFVII storyline? I sincerely hope that's not the case, but information has been sparse.

The best-case scenario for me would be a ginormous package containing both "Crisis Core" and FFVII, with "Dirge of Cerberus" as a bonus game and the extended "Advent Children" cut as (unlockable?) bonus - all of it done in the unified visual style of Advent Children, of course. It's not going to happen, because the games are completely different, but I'd certainly buy a Collector's Edition like that! I remember the joy of re-playing the main game after finishing Crisis Core and finally understanding the full extent of the story...
Old 05-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #11
Azrael
Evil Dead

FF7 is one of my all time favourite games. Literally just finished playing the game on my phone! Really hope this pans out
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Came here to rant, but Rommel said it all
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Oh no, Lighting Returns was poo.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Isn't Lightning Returns the one everybody hated? Where you play a turn base jrpg with only one playable character?

If So That Doesn't Sound Very Promising .
Turn based?! I wish... more live live action TIME LIMITED junk.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
dirtbag
El Matador

Wow! I didn't realize I would be crapping on so many people's sacred cow. Rommel's deliberate obtuseness aside, it just seems to me as if Final Fantasy VII was instantly put up on an altar by fanboys back in 1997, and I became sick of people creaming about it back then.

Additionally, with the extreme fanboyism surrounding FF7 comes an extreme risk of a disappointing remake with 'improvements' that take away from the things that caused such adoration in the first place.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Wow! I didn't realize I would be crapping on so many people's sacred cow.
FFVII is not a sacred cow around these parts. If anything, Sierra titles and some obscure flight sims might be more beloved. While personally, I prefer Cloud and his crew of misfits to most games ever made I want you to know that isn't why the world came down on you. It piled atop because your statement was awful, nonsensical and displayed nearly zero industry knowledge. The world doesn't hate you for your opinions, it hates you because you're awful.

Quote:
Rommel's deliberate obtuseness aside,
Someone finally figured it out; all is lost! All is lost!

Quote:
it just seems to me as if Final Fantasy VII was instantly put up on an altar by fanboys back in 1997, and I became sick of people creaming about it back then.
Yeah, it was an is popular. If you have nerd rejection syndrome, where you hate things that become cool, so be it. Don't come whining about how it is holding your beloved remakes back--all of which were made in the United States--And expect a hipster hat tip and a dick tip rub.

Quote:
Additionally, with the extreme fanboyism surrounding FF7 comes an extreme risk of a disappointing remake with 'improvements' that take away from the things that caused such adoration in the first place.
That's entirely possible and the first coherent thought you've managed to post. I assume your cat walked across your keyboard, just before you hit "submit reply." To the kitty cat's point, it is very likely the development change listed in this news story is a result of internal review deeming the work thus far to be disappointing, hence the change.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #17
Cranium
Reaper

Barret's arm looks unrealistics with realistic graphics. It doesn't look heavier than his regular arm. It was more realistic with cartoony graphics.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy vii, square enix