18,690 Replies, 3,714,402 Views
Outer Wilds - Launch...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Yesterday 01:43 PM
8 Replies, 911 Views

Old 11-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Final Fantasy XV Reviews "despite some real flaws, it ultimately won me over" #FFXV

GamesRadar - 4.5/5

Quote:
Then again, the story behind the making of Final Fantasy 15 is kind of a mess too, and it's impossible to know how much of this mish-mash of ideas is the result of its tumultuous history as a spin-off that entered development hell a decade ago or whether this was always what it was meant to be. It's a beautiful mess, though; a fascinating, wonderful, exciting, bold, and often inscrutable mess with endless ambition and the fearlessness to at least try something new with staid genre conventions. Even when it falters, it's never dull, the humanity of its heroes and the warmth of its world shining through even when its story leaves you cold. And if that's not Final Fantasy, I don't know what is.
Destructoid - 9/10

Quote:
As I'm typing this up now, I'm seeing a future where people buy Final Fantasy XV due to some of the more positive assessments (like this one), and walk away disappointed. Because if you loathe JRPGs, XV is not going to make you a believer. In a way it's silly that Square spent 10 years making this, and it feels like a really shiny version of something it would have actually made 10 years ago. While a complete overhaul of the genre would certainly suit someone's needs, XV suits mine just fine.
Game Informer - 8.5/10

Quote:
Final Fantasy XV is unlike any RPG or open-world experience Iíve played before. It succeeds and struggles in finding its unique stance, but a few problematic designs donít hold it back from being a hell of a journey. Just days after playing it, I find myself reflecting on it fondly. The thoughts of that damn car are recessed and blanketed by Noctisí journey and some of the stunning moments that unfolded within it. I wasnít a fan of Final Fantasy XIIIís sequels, but I hope Square returns with another XV or a similarly designed sequel to iron out the rough spots. Thereís a solid foundation here that begs to be explored further.
IGN - 8.2/10

Quote:
When Iím riding chocobos across the beach at dusk with my three friends and hunting iconic Final Fantasy monsters in a huge, picturesque open world, Final Fantasy XV feels like nearly everything I could want from a modern Final Fantasy. But when it funnels me into linear scenarios and drab, constricted spaces that plunge the simplistic combat into chaos, my blood boils a bit. There is so much good here, so much heart - especially in the relationships between Noctis and his sworn brothers. It just comes with some changes and compromises that were, at times, difficult for this long-time Final Fantasy fan to come to grips with.
GameSpot - 8/10

Quote:
One of the first things you see when you boot up the game is this claim "A Final Fantasy for fans and first-timers." It's a strange statement; fans can't agree on what makes a good Final Fantasy game, and who knows why newcomers shied away from the series in the past. It's been a long ten years since Final Fantasy XV was first revealed, and tastes have changed in the meantime. While it's safe to assume fans and outsiders will find some aspect of Final Fantasy XV disappointing--be it the shallow story or finnicky Astrals--it would be hard for anyone to deny that Final Fantasy XV is a fascinating game after giving it a chance. Where its characters fail to impress, Final Fantasy XV's beautiful world and exciting challenges save the day.
USgamer - 4/5

Quote:
I was really skeptical that Final Fantasy XV could ever be successful; but despite some real flaws, it ultimately won me over. I warmed to the characters over the course of many camping trips, found more than I was expecting in the open world, and even enjoyed the bombastic setpieces. I have no doubt that it will be harshly criticized in some circles, but it also has some real merit. Stick with it even if you find yourself rolling your eyes at the opening hours: You may be surprised by how much you end up enjoying yourself.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Im having fun with it. It surprises me how much new stuff I find in the game. Like I found this cool door/vault in a tomb. I have no idea how to open the damn thing(or what it's for) but it's fun trying to figure it all out. I read something about these secret dungeons that provide really cool gear if you beat them. Im thinking it's one of those but I am not sure.

The only thing that bothers me is some of the voice acting.. It's so Japanese cliche(borderline racist? maybe...). haha For instance the voice acting for that one female mechanic is so freaking irritating. Also Ignis's voice just doesn't fit. Anyway just small gripes, but another than that it's fun.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Anemone
Evil Dead

I'm enjoying it, about an hour in only. Kinda forgot it was dropping on Sunday until late.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
For instance the voice acting for that one female mechanic is so freaking irritating.
Agreed, annoyed the crap out of me too. But I think the reason is because the Japanese actually prefer, apparently, to listen to games in English and use Japanese subtitles, so it's more for them than for us, and if she had a sweeter southern accent they probably wouldn't even pick it up, perhaps? As it is, it's heavy handed and trashy, or not trashy but like, slovenly perhaps.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Just play it in Japanese. It allows you to easily ignore repeated banter and improves some of the characters, particularly Prompto.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Just play it in Japanese. It allows you to easily ignore repeated banter and improves some of the characters, particularly Prompto.
I'm glad that's an option.

"anime" voice acting is absolutely unlistenable, to me.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I got this last night, but was worried I wouldn't be able to get into it. That remains to be seen, but after 3 hours I have a very positive view on it. I was enjoying it!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Shai
Former Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I like Prompto's English performance. I like all their performances, but I find that the other 3 can sometimes sound very similar to one another. It is usually Noctis who throws me off as the performance is inconsistent tonally - usually he is a high baritone but then sometimes he gets as low as Gladios' bass.

Also, I'll always choose an English dub over the Japanese because I find that this allows me to relate emotionally to the performance more. In Japanese, volume and tone don't necessarily reflect the same emotional subtext that they do in English and vice-versa.
Shai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

Judging by the quoted text, those reviews are not as favorable as the numbers associated with them. I'm hearing the following:

- The main storyline is balls. Dull balls at that. Dull, crazy Japanese balls--somehow.
- The characters themselves are as annoying ball-band BS weird as they looked when we first saw them.
- The world play, running around the map completing tasks, is almost Bethesda in feel.
- The combat is good, though marred by a lost camera.
- The relationship between the characters is fantastic.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #10
Snipee
Evil Dead

This game is highly addictive and fun! I'm on chapter 3 out of 15, with close to 16 hours played so far.... Leeps and bounds better then FFXIII,-XIII3.
Snipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:07 AM   #11
mojo_x
Soul Reaper

Wow, its' great to hear the positive impressions about a game that I'd completely written off. The cast, art design and game world etc just do nothing for me unfortunately. But if the combat system is decent I'll add this one to my "to buy" list.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:24 AM   #12
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_x View Post
Wow, its' great to hear the positive impressions about a game that I'd completely written off. The cast, art design and game world etc just do nothing for me unfortunately. But if the combat system is decent I'll add this one to my "to buy" list.
Download the Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive movie and the setting will make a lot more sense. I feel it isn't necessary to play the game, but it adds a ton to your immersion in the story.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #13
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

I heard dull story I cant force myself to buy it ... sorry
HB_IKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Download the Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive movie and the setting will make a lot more sense. I feel it isn't necessary to play the game, but it adds a ton to your immersion in the story.
This is the first I'm hearing of this. Is the movie a sort of prequel to the events of XV? I felt like they really just tossed you into the middle of a story at the beginning of the game and it turned me off quite a bit. I guess I'll check this out.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Yeah, it's the events happening inside the Insomnia city. I guess the events happen in between the game's beginning and when you reach the first port hotel/restaurant.

There is also an anime series, of about 5 episodes (on the FFXV youtube channel,) which shows you the relationship between the main characters, how they met and stuff like that. I recommend it as well, it's well done, and since it's very short you will be done in a couple of hours.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I'm glad that's an option.
As am I. It is great that games now are going out of their way to support dual language. For the longest time we had to suck it up when the dubs have been poor.

Quote:
"anime" voice acting is absolutely unlistenable, to me.
For what little I have played in English (I switched over to English last night while working on the side stories/missions) the dub is very good. It doesn't suffer from the typical anime dubbing (you know, where either everyone sounds very similar or bored by the script) and everyone feels very unique. It is more inline with the casting that you would expect with an American cartoon on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, rather than as Japanese anime dub you hear on Toonami.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

So for someone who generally doesn't do JRPG's and hasn't played an FF game since FF8, those who are playing it, do you find the changes to the combat feel fresh enough from the old school JRPG menu based combat to find it worth it?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
So for someone who generally doesn't do JRPG's and hasn't played an FF game since FF8, those who are playing it, do you find the changes to the combat feel fresh enough from the old school JRPG menu based combat to find it worth it?
It's really apples and oranges, in my opinion.

The question is, in my opinion, "Do you like Kingdom Hearts?" and "Would you be okay if Final Fantasy played like Kingdom Hearts?"

If the answer to both of those questions are "yes", then you might be okay with the changes to the game.

But i
Old 12-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #19
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
It's really apples and oranges, in my opinion.

The question is, in my opinion, "Do you like Kingdom Hearts?" and "Would you be okay if Final Fantasy played like Kingdom Hearts?"

If the answer to both of those questions are "yes", then you might be okay with the changes to the game.
Really? I haven't played a lot of "Kingdom Hearts", but I don't see it here. For me, the combat is something fairly unique. If anything, I'd compare it to the later "Batman: Arkham" games: You're usually swamped with enemies, and you can't simply spam "attack". Instead, you're constantly evading and countering, depending on the selected weapon, with some simple reaction tests (not really QTEs, since you know what buttons to push) thrown in. You will also be momentarily retreating quite often, to assess the situation, recover stamina, and literally throw yourself back into the action via a highly useful teleport strike.

By the way, there are three pre-set controller configurations. I highly recommend trying them out and deciding on one of them early on. I found the default setting nearly unplayable, for example.

Overall, I'm loving what I've seen so far. I'm stuck in the very beginning of the game, because I'm doing side quests like crazy. The one thing I found disappointing is the "Justice Monsters Five" mini game. It's similar to a super-simple pinball table, and you can play for hours (on a single game, mind!), just to win some lame (?) accessories. Well, maybe it'll evolve later on...
Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 AM   #20
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Really? I haven't played a lot of "Kingdom Hearts", but I don't see it here. For me, the combat is something fairly unique. If anything, I'd compare it to the later "Batman: Arkham" games: You're usually swamped with enemies, and you can't simply spam "attack". Instead, you're constantly evading and countering, depending on the selected weapon, with some simple reaction tests (not really QTEs, since you know what buttons to push) thrown in. You will also be momentarily retreating quite often, to assess the situation, recover stamina, and literally throw yourself back into the action via a highly useful teleport strike.

By the way, there are three pre-set controller configurations. I highly recommend trying them out and deciding on one of them early on. I found the default setting nearly unplayable, for example.

Overall, I'm loving what I've seen so far. I'm stuck in the very beginning of the game, because I'm doing side quests like crazy. The one thing I found disappointing is the "Justice Monsters Five" mini game. It's similar to a super-simple pinball table, and you can play for hours (on a single game, mind!), just to win some lame (?) accessories. Well, maybe it'll evolve later on...
I've read a few reviews that talk about Justice Monsters as being disappointing and unfun. It's strange because if i'm not mistaken, they actually put that game out on it's own on mobile.

Tags
final fantasy xv, square enix, squaresoft