DOOM Eternal Delayed...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:39 AM
18 Replies, 880 Views

Old 03-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Revealed

Ars Technica: Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge hands-on: Samsung finally builds a premium smartphone

Quote:
The Galaxy S6 dumped the plastic found on the S5 and, like the iPhone 4 or Xiaomi Mi Note, went with an all-glass design. The result is a phone that outclasses every plastic Galaxy that came before it, making the S6 feel like a worthy upgrade. To get there, Samsung had to drop long-running features that earned it a few fans, like the removable battery and a MicroSD slot. We think the tradeoff is worth it.

While the materials have seen a significant change, the design hasn't—the Galaxy S6 uses the same basic design language that Samsung has been using since the Galaxy S2.
CNET: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge offers premium design and high-end specs with a twist

Quote:
Both devices run Android 5.0 Lollipop that skinned with Samsung's TouchWiz user interface. The 5.1-inch AMOLED display is the same size as the Galaxy S5, however Samsung bumped resolution to 2,560x1,440 pixels, which measures at 577 pixels per pinch, currently the best on the market. On the inside the company went with its own 64-bit Exynos octa-core processor, rather than the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 that is powering many competing Android devices, that is supported by 3GB of RAM.

On the back, you'll find a 16-megapixel camera and an LED flash that doubles as a heart-rate sensor, with a 5-megapixel shooter with a wide-angle lens on the front. There's also an IR Blaster on the top that can be used to control your TV, wireless charging and an improved fingerprint scanner embedded in the home button.
Engadget: Samsung's new virtual reality headset works with the Galaxy S6

Quote:
Samsung says the new headset is 15 percent smaller than the original (most likely due to the reduction in the phones' screen size -- the S6 has a 5.1-inch display, while the Note 4 has a 5.7-inch unit). It's also claiming improved graphical performance because of the phones' newer, more powerful chips, and improved fidelity thanks to the S6's insanely dense display. Incidental upgrades aside, the new Gear VR does have a couple of additions over its predecessor: Samsung's redesigned the straps, apparently giving it "better weight balance," and has also introduced mechanical ventilation to make it more comfortable to use the Gear VR for longer periods.

The final upgrade is the introduction of a USB port, which lets you charge your S6 while it's inside the headset. While that's a welcome change for anyone sitting around at home watching movies on their Gear VR, it does highlight that you won't get as much playtime from the headset as the original. That's because the S6 has a far smaller (2600mAh versus 3220mAh) battery, making charging a necessity for longer sessions, and somewhat negating one of the Gear VR's main benefits over the competition -- the fact that it's untethered.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

I was a bit worried about the removal of micro-SD upgrade support, but they are making a 128gb version, which is what I wanted, so it's fine. I'm due to re-up in a few months, looking for a release date now. My S4 has been extremely good. And inductive charging, hells to the yes.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
shadow763
Lord of Woe

No removable battery? LOL Way to copy Samsuck.

Touchwiz? No fucking thanks. Keep trying.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Looks nice, but I'm too spoiled by my Note 4 to go back to a regular phone.

Non-removable battery? Well, let's face it, like it or not phones are disposable technology. Personally, I have yet to use one where I needed to replace the battery before upgrading. And there is no need to buy a second battery for extended use any more thanks to portable USB chargers. This would probably affect those that prefer to install extended batteries, but that is a niche market at best.

And as for the lack of SD card spot, well, good and bad I suppose. It's nice to be able to expand the memory via card since they charge an arm and a leg for it when it's built in, and it's nice to be able to change memory if needed. However, I have yet to hot-swap memory from any phone (having it under the battery is a huge reason), and Android still doesn't treat the different memory types seamlessly -- Even though you can move a portion of an app to the added card, it only splits it, and continues to store part in the main memory as well. How much of an app you can store on the removable card is all across the board... from nearly all of it, to none of it (I have a couple of 1+ gig games that refuse to move, which pisses me off to no end).

In any case, in a few years, those "features" will probably be standard with all phones.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

What's up on the specs with the dual quad core CPU? Are they just two different vendors, depending upon the actual phone you get, or are there actually two CPUs in there?

Link.

Quote:
CPU: Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57
Two in the device, or two different vendors/versions?

Also, I LOVE not having an SD card slot, because having both internal on-board memory and a slot usually means a tiny bit of internal memory, which leads to all kids of issues with apps failing to update and stuff you cannot move to the SD slot. A unified internal memory of 64 GB or more is the way to go. That's the case with my OPO, and I love that about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Looks nice, but I'm too spoiled by my Note 4 to go back to a regular phone.
I'm really torn, get this or wait for a Note5 that will undoubtedly have all these features and also the larger screen and click-pen.

I demoed that click pen recently, that thing is incredible. It's practically a mouse. I really love that thing, the way you can draw bounding boxes with the click and the like, so amazing.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I demoed that click pen recently, that thing is incredible. It's practically a mouse. I really love that thing, the way you can draw bounding boxes with the click and the like, so amazing.
Indeed, the pen is really great, especially for jotting down quick notes or taking pieces of web pages. You can write out a phone number and then have your phone dial it. Or quickly jot down an address, select it, and bring it up on the map. Like something on a web page? Circle it and store it and bring that page back up later.

This review gave a great demo of those features (jump to 10:30):

Old 04-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Also, I LOVE not having an SD card slot, because having both internal on-board memory and a slot usually means a tiny bit of internal memory, which leads to all kids of issues with apps failing to update and stuff you cannot move to the SD slot. A unified internal memory of 64 GB or more is the way to go. That's the case with my OPO, and I love that about it.

Yes, i run into all kinds of problems. Get rid of it! Also it sucks to loose 50GB of media because your SD decided to take a dump, which has happened to me recently and has happened before.. I do keep personal video and pics on the internal. 128GB is more than enough for me. I may hold off replacing that 64GB sd card and get one of these, im finding the notes are just a bit to big.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Syl
Evil Dead

I have 32 gigs internal and a 128 gig micro SD card, along with a 6000MH battery because I have a phone that allows me to do all these things. Anything less than that won't work for my next phone. I'd actually love phones to have multiple Micro SD card slots so there is a potential for some actual space.

Using an LG G3.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galaxy s6, samsung