Last post by Booda
Yesterday 08:21 AM
6 Replies, 261 Views

Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #41
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
...which is the main reason Nintendo hasn't cared to make a more powerful console for current generations. It doesn't benefit their core franchises in any real way. What, render all the bristles on Mario's mustache? Does that make the games more fun in any legitimate way? I think they are pretty confident that it doesn't but... people want those numbers...
A fair argument. I am not going to give any credence to any supposed strategies they might be attempting until something is working though (their mobile profits are fine -- talking about their console strategy).

I would be OK with that strategy if they had had more games coming down the pipe sooner. They should have a hit a month IMO, given all of the IP they have under their belt. More said hits should have launched around the launch window.

It's easy for people to say that Nintendo doesn't care to compete where they fail. They claim to not care about online, yet they keep half-assing attempts in that space. They supposedly had strategies in place to assure mostly quality software around the time the Wii came out, yet the Wii had more shovelware available for it than probably any system I recall. They're just in a hot mess, imo...

They could ride the Nintendo name for at least a few decades more without going bankrupt, most likely, so if they can turn things around, great.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #42
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I feel like you are misusing the term "core fanbase". Nitendo's "core fanbase" are the people who like what they are doing. Not the people who wish they were doing something else. There are a ton of people who finish a Zelda game and then just immediately want another Zelda game just like the one they just played.

You and I aren't those people, but they exist...
I don't know man. I kind of disagree unless you have evidence to the contrary. The people who gave the GameCube and Wii successful launch numbers were largely old-school gamers (or at least games who played N64) with disposable income who were fantasizing about the days of old, heh. I could be wrong on this, but based on the kind of people I've seen present at Nintendo hardware launches, this is my thinking. Aren't most really young kids today happy with their touch devices, etc.? I am just wondering if there are Nintendo-crazy kids running around. I don't know any. But then again, I know maybe one kid. A lot of the time a parent buys the console (riding the same old-school feels) hoping to share gaming as a hobby with their kids, no?
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
92miata
Evil Dead

LOVE my WiiU. My 6 year old son loves Zelda, Mario, all the 1st party titles. I want to know where Metroid designed specifically for the WiiU is?
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #44
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
Most of those games are ports and on last gen systems along with the PC.
Even I as a PS4 owner have to admit the thing I'm most looking forward to is the PS4 version on Last of Us... an update of a game from the previous system. That's a bad sign.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #45
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
I don't know man. I kind of disagree unless you have evidence to the contrary. The people who gave the GameCube and Wii successful launch numbers were largely old-school gamers (or at least games who played N64) with disposable income who were fantasizing about the days of old, heh. I could be wrong on this, but based on the kind of people I've seen present at Nintendo hardware launches, this is my thinking. Aren't most really young kids today happy with their touch devices, etc.? I am just wondering if there are Nintendo-crazy kids running around. I don't know any. But then again, I know maybe one kid. A lot of the time a parent buys the console (riding the same old-school feels) hoping to share gaming as a hobby with their kids, no?
Well, sort of. I think that less applies to the Wii. I think Wii Sports with the basic but intuitive gimmick of motion controls sold the Wii. I have family who for the first time in their lives played a video game because of the Wii. (The trend I noticed is that females like bowling and men liked golfing in my family).

Actually, let me set this whole thing straight for people who just don't know why people still buy Nintendo consoles. Im 29. I don't still want to play Nintendo games because of some undying fanboyism or some nostalgia I can't let go of. Nintendo 1st party games are still fun for me. In fact, theyre still some of the best gaming experiences I can have to this day. I could play next iterations of Smash Bros, Metroid, Zelda, and Mario until Im dead. Theyre fun. A lasting fun. When Gears and Halo start to get old.

If someone can't let go of the image thing, you might have some weird identity problems.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #46
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Penguin View Post
It's weird that basically everyone is doing terrible but folks act like Nintendo is the special oddity.

Even Sony is doing fuck all outside of their games division. If not for the PS4 I don't know of anything positive they could announce.

Nintendo's biggest mistake from an investment view is not preying on their fans. If the would just heavily monetize everything and stop caring about making good stuff they'd make a killing.

Profitability in games right now is like that movie "The Producers". You get lots of money off a half assed POS than you will off something good.

I'm glad they don't do this, mind you, but that's where the money is right now. Why people seem so adamant that they should go after that money is beyond me.

There ARE things they do poorly though and places they fumble. But almost all of those mistakes are not what is holding them back compared to competition.

That said I'm very fond of the PS4. No idea what the point of an Xbox One is, but the PS4 is lovely. (I also personally really like the Wii U, I have 8 or so games for it and each of them has been incredibly good. I wish I could have that kind of consistent result from buying relatively blindly for other consoles or the PC).
There's a lot of wisdom in this. I do admire Nintendo for sticking to their guns, but at this point, they really do need to fix the WiiU thing.

Release some fucking GAMES. Where is the Bayonetta 2 exclusive that was teased at LAUNCH. Someone throw some money that way and make that shit happen! A sexy librarian who's clothes are made of her hair, with guns on her shoes so she can shoot you in face at the same time she kicks you. Brilliant! And not a "Kiddy" IP! Where is Metroid? Where is Zelda? Where is some cool space shooter? Where is the motion controlled lightsaber simulator?

One thing I can say about Microsoft...when they smelled their own blood in the water, they passed a piece of paper to EA and said "write down a number for Titanfall to be exclusive MS release". Nintendo doesn't have to go quite that far, but they do really need to step up their development. It's a bit unbelievable that HD art assets take them THAT much longer to do compared to everyone else. And if they want any decent third party stuff, they are going to have to pay for it.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #47
EmoryM
Lord

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a fantastic platformer and absolutely gorgeous.

Lego City Undercover is a lot of fun and has a bunch of references thrown in for the older crowd. I hope more people go back and play this if they pick up the system for MK8 or Smash.

Super Mario 3D World is a fun game, of course, especially the frustrating special stages.

The Wonderful 101 is a lot better than the demo led me to believe and difficult enough that doing something cool feels good.

New Super Mario Brothers U is a solid collection of 2D platformer levels. I haven't gotten a chance to play the Luigi stuff yet but if it doubles the number of levels then it effectively doubles the quality of the game.

Nintendo Land didn't look like much but it's actually a blast, especially with another player.

The Wind Waker on GameCube is a great game and the Wind Waker on Wii U is slightly greater.

I'm glad that I have a bunch of other consoles but I haven't regretted owning a Wii U - I feel like there is enough gameplay in the library to justify the investment.
EmoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #48
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozena View Post
There have only been 6 million Wii U's sold since launch 16 months ago. PS4 surpassed that in five.
All that even without games!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #49
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Oh shit. It's happening. Look out Skylanders.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo