Last post by Chief Smash
Today 04:24 AM
83 Replies, 24,946 Views

Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
RE4 was the best game on the gamecube. One of the best games ever. It's the only reason I owned a GC. If Nintendo wants me to buy their hardware, they need to make games I like. So far, they haven't. It's fine that you don't agree with me. That's not the point of this topic though.
Nintendo didn't make RE4, so how would it be expected that they would make something like it. WiiU did launch with a wide variety of games. It was probably one of the best launch window line ups in all console history, but it was followed by a dry period as well.

Did you play ZombiU? It's a pretty awesome zombie game, with it's only negatives being muddy visuals and it being harder than the casual survival horror games out there today.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
What are these "really fun games" on the PS4 that there are "a lot of"? For the last two weeks I forgot I even owned one.
From launch till April
Assassin's Creed IV
Lego Marvel Superheros
Need for Speed Rivals
NBA 2k14
Resogun
Doki Doki Universe
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider
Outlast
Strider
Awesomenauts
Dead Nation
TowerFall
Stealth Inc
Infamous

From April till today
Mercenary Kings
FF14
Trials Fusion
Octodad
Child of Light
Daylight

I also have hopes for MLB 14, but I won't get to start that till tonight, so I don't know if I shall find it fun or not.

And again: OPINIONS! Video games are art. That means things that one person finds enjoyable, others may not. There is no one right answer (I still have no clue why people liked the original Halo, for instance).
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
Zelos
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
From launch till April
Assassin's Creed IV
Lego Marvel Superheros
Need for Speed Rivals
NBA 2k14
Resogun
Doki Doki Universe
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider
Outlast
Strider
Awesomenauts
Dead Nation
TowerFall
Stealth Inc
Infamous

From April till today
Mercenary Kings
FF14
Trials Fusion
Octodad
Child of Light
Daylight

I also have hopes for MLB 14, but I won't get to start that till tonight, so I don't know if I shall find it fun or not.

And again: OPINIONS! Video games are art. That means things that one person finds enjoyable, others may not. There is no one right answer (I still have no clue why people liked the original Halo, for instance).
Most of those games are ports and on last gen systems along with the PC.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nintendo didn't make RE4, so how would it be expected that they would make something like it. WiiU did launch with a wide variety of games. It was probably one of the best launch window line ups in all console history, but it was followed by a dry period as well.

Did you play ZombiU? It's a pretty awesome zombie game, with it's only negatives being muddy visuals and it being harder than the casual survival horror games out there today.
It doesn't matter who makes the games as long as they're on the system. I didn't really want to address how Nintendo shits on 3rd party devs. I think we all know about that.

As for ZombieU, I'd need to have a U to play it and I don't and probably never will until there are more games I might like. Maybe I'll check it out on Youtube. Obviously the other downside of the U is as you pointed out, it's pretty weak hardware wise.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #25
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Best thing that could happen is Apple buys Nintendo. Would destroy Samedung overnight.
This would actually be a good pairing. Nintendo and Apple both have a history of quality hardware -- well-designed with build quality above and beyond (excluding the Wii U, which IMO feels cheap, and countless throw-away-later plastic accessories). Making software for the Game Boy Advance, while learning more about their other consoles, really made me feel this way.

That said, Nintendo is so out-of-date wrt competing technically (speaking wrt performance specifically). Apple would be able to give them what they need to have compelling modern hardware, with hardware and SDKs designed by two companies with elegance in design (software and hardware) as a priority. Nintendo is viewed as a toy company by many at this point -- I would love to see a supercomputer console come from their joint brand.

If this happened, we would probably see a first-party Apptindo (see what I did there) controller FINALLY (something wireless that can work with all of the devices from Apple and Nintendo going forward) -- finally everything would not have to be designed around touch (if you want to sell to more than ten people). Nintendo's massive retro library could be sold in an App Store ecosystem, and the games could be enjoyed on mobile phones, iPads, the new beefy Apptindo device, etc.

Don't know if this is practical, but I think it would be interesting. :-) All the big companies keep saying consoles are going away, no one need's dedicated über consoles anymore, etc. Not sure I agree though.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

p.s., based on things Jobs said in the past, along with decisions he made, indicates that for whatever reasons he didn't give a crap about games/having Apple be a games-focused company. I think this could change going forward under new leadership. Their App Store makes too much money from games to ignore them...
Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
Rico Penguin
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstshifter View Post
You've missed out on a LOT of fantastic games then. Nintendo catches a lot of flak, especially on this website, but they have consistently pushed out at least a couple solid 1st party titles every single year. I really don't expect anything more than that from them. People have these expectations that Nintendo is supposed to be exactly like Microsoft and Sony when it comes to gaming, but they are so very different.

And those numbers don't really look too far below their forecast. Every business goes through a few bad years every once in a while. They will bounce back.
It's weird that basically everyone is doing terrible but folks act like Nintendo is the special oddity.

Even Sony is doing fuck all outside of their games division. If not for the PS4 I don't know of anything positive they could announce.

Nintendo's biggest mistake from an investment view is not preying on their fans. If the would just heavily monetize everything and stop caring about making good stuff they'd make a killing.

Profitability in games right now is like that movie "The Producers". You get lots of money off a half assed POS than you will off something good.

I'm glad they don't do this, mind you, but that's where the money is right now. Why people seem so adamant that they should go after that money is beyond me.

There ARE things they do poorly though and places they fumble. But almost all of those mistakes are not what is holding them back compared to competition.

That said I'm very fond of the PS4. No idea what the point of an Xbox One is, but the PS4 is lovely. (I also personally really like the Wii U, I have 8 or so games for it and each of them has been incredibly good. I wish I could have that kind of consistent result from buying relatively blindly for other consoles or the PC).
Rico Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
How about addressing my message instead of attacking the messenger?
I wasn't "attacking the messenger" at all. I wasn't even arguing with you. I was making a completely separate comment related to the comment you made that you thought Nintendo's games were "kiddy" and that you prefer Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. I simply said "I think THOSE games are "kiddy". You're free to enjoy what you like. I'm just saying I don't see much of a difference between what Nintendo is putting out and Resident Evil in terms of maturity.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #29
Rico Penguin
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I wasn't "attacking the messenger" at all. I wasn't even arguing with you. I was making a completely separate comment related to the comment you made that you thought Nintendo's games were "kiddy" and that you prefer Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. I simply said "I think THOSE games are "kiddy". You're free to enjoy what you like. I'm just saying I don't see much of a difference between what Nintendo is putting out and Resident Evil in terms of maturity.
How can you not find guns and zombies mature!

Come on man! They are like, guns and zombies! These things are so adult!

Did you see the blood? That's super mature.

And metal gear? That's as mature as it comes.

Boobies.

[ I'm a big fan of both series, well RE up to 4. But I do find it amusing what is categorized as mature. ]
Rico Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
p.s., based on things Jobs said in the past, along with decisions he made, indicates that for whatever reasons he didn't give a crap about games/having Apple be a games-focused company. I think this could change going forward under new leadership. Their App Store makes too much money from games to ignore them...
He seemed to be changing his mind about that in his end days. especially when he saw that he could control them via the app store. Seemingly Jobs considered everything he wasn't personally interested in to be "shit". But once he was interested in it, he behaved like he was always interested in it and he didn't know what you were talking about if you mentioned his previous stances on it.

It's how a tremendously insecure man says "I don't know enough to have an opinion on the matter"
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Penguin View Post
How can you not find guns and zombies mature!

Come on man! They are like, guns and zombies! These things are so adult!

Did you see the blood? That's super mature.

And metal gear? That's as mature as it comes.

Boobies.

[ I'm a big fan of both series, well RE up to 4. But I do find it amusing what is categorized as mature. ]
Yeah, I mean, I PLAYED the RE games. Ironically I played RE4 on the Wii and enjoyed the heck out of the gameplay. But I found the story so absurd that I had a really hard time understanding how it wasn't getting more flak for being ridiculous. I found it EASILY as laughable as RE1.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #32
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

I'm jumping in on the Mario Kart 8 system bundle, so that's at least one sale for them. Between that and Smash Bros U, I should be set on my console needs for the entirety of this generation. Definitely take advantage of any other must-haves Nintendo releases though.

Hopefully Big N turns it around before long. Think brand confusion on their new platforms has really hurt them, among other complaints. Soccer moms can't tell the difference between "Wii" and "Wii U". Doubt most of what the core gamers are complaining about strongly effect the market at large though. Most "gamers" are just looking for another magic CoD/EA Sports-box, and they'll grab some other titles here and there at their whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid
list of games
Like three of those aren't PC games, and a lot of them were released prior to the PS4. Is it a list for people only considering playing on a single platform, but are only allowed to choose between WiiU and PS4?

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 05-07-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

The 3DS is cool with respect to the 3D aspect and it being the first (and maybe last) one. But the games on it are mostly kiddy, as are most Nintendo games. Also it doesn't help that quite a few of the 3D ports are downright terrible (yes I'm looking at you "The Amazing Spiderman").

Plus, Nintendo doesn't really produce anything new anymore. All they do is re-hash the same games over and over and over again, and that is probably starting to take it's toll. Why do we need a even need a new Pokemon game when the last one is barely a half a year old? I got the X for free when it was being offered a couple of months ago and it's boring, because I've played it before. SEVERAL TIMES.

I just got my Vita Slim today (BL2 package). Never had a PS portable before so we will see how that compares.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
Zelos
Evil Dead

There's that word again "kiddy". What is the definition to you? To me it is not Nintendo. To me Nintendo games are Disney, Pixar and Studio Ghibli games, Games that are for everyone. I guess sadly most people's definition of kiddy is anything without blood, gore and has any colors besides shades of brown, grey and black. You people make me sad.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

I'm not surprised Nintendo is struggling.

* Their online architecture has always been atrocious, which means their customers cannot easily network with their friends (as they can on Live or PSN). This was an oversight at first, but now it's just stubborn stupidity. This is a feature that is just required in this day and age. It should work and do so easily (CODES!).

* Too many of their IP are ancient. They aren't reinvigorating their brand with new IP often enough. Look at Disney...launched a brand new billion-dollar IP with Frozen. Nintendo still seems stuck in the 90s, with far too infrequent additions to their stable of IP.

* There are too many other gaming options now, especially in the mobile space. Nintendo stubbornly refuses to launch a digital store for content on other platforms, which limits them to the shrinking market of people willing to shell out hundreds for a dedicated mobile gaming device when the market is moving toward mobile gaming being a feature of a mobile device, not its dedicated raison d'ętre

They're a dinosaur. I think they'll continue to exist, and continue to make some wonderful products for their fans, but they limit themselves at every turn and will increasingly be seen as a bit player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #36
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
There's that word again "kiddy". What is the definition to you? To me it is not Nintendo. To me Nintendo games are Disney, Pixar and Studio Ghibli games, Games that are for everyone. I guess sadly most people's definition of kiddy is anything without blood, gore and has any colors besides shades of brown, grey and black. You people make me sad.
As much as I'll defend Nintendo with everything I've got, it's getting really hard to say they AREN'T marketing more toward children than they have in the past. Well, that's not true. They've always marketed toward children. Now it seems more like they're making games for dumb people. I was just looking at the video for the new Mario Golf game and, while the game looks decent, the way they characters keep screaming gibberish is like they are seriously mentally challenged. I honestly for the life of me do not understand that design choice.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
RE4 was the best game on the gamecube. One of the best games ever. It's the only reason I owned a GC. If Nintendo wants me to buy their hardware, they need to make games I like. So far, they haven't. It's fine that you don't agree with me. That's not the point of this topic though.
RE4 blew my mind. RE4 showed how powerful the GameCube hardware really was when a game was designed for it. There were plenty of impressive Nintendo titles, but due to their cartoony aesthetic (often very flat-shaded/animated look -- call it what you want, you know what I mean), people didn't realize how powerful the box really was. Early on it had smooth but less than impressive (graphically) titles like THPS (was it 3? Can't recall), but RE4 was AMAZING technically (Wind Waker was as well -- but RE4 felt like a game ten years ahead of its time to me -- when I had my head lopped off by the chainsaw maniac I literally shrieked with glee like a little schoolgirl -- I couldn't believe the model separated like that (did NOT expect it, as it requires some above and beyond work, and models in these kinds of games don't usually break apart), with the head rolling on the floor... holy crap)...
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #38
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Penguin View Post
Nintendo's biggest mistake from an investment view is not preying on their fans. If the would just heavily monetize everything and stop caring about making good stuff they'd make a killing.
They do prey on them (the guys in Zelda hats at the midnight hardware launches)... for successful launches and to get a base minimum number of units out into the world. Then they always want more pie, and start focusing on the people they could convert into the fold (I call this "going after grandma" since the Wii Sports days, heh) because there are far more of them then there are us. And then they ignore their core fan-base. Gotta love it!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #39
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
RE4 blew my mind. RE4 showed how powerful the GameCube hardware really was when a game was designed for it. There were plenty of impressive Nintendo titles, but due to their cartoony aesthetic (often very flat-shaded/animated look -- call it what you want, you know what I mean), people didn't realize how powerful the box really was
...which is the main reason Nintendo hasn't cared to make a more powerful console for current generations. It doesn't benefit their core franchises in any real way. What, render all the bristles on Mario's mustache? Does that make the games more fun in any legitimate way? I think they are pretty confident that it doesn't but... people want those numbers...
Old 05-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
They do prey on them (the guys in Zelda hats at the midnight hardware launches)... for successful launches and to get a base minimum number of units out into the world. Then they always want more pie, and start focusing on the people they could convert into the fold (I call this "going after grandma" since the Wii Sports days, heh) because there are far more of them then there are us. And then they ignore their core fan-base. Gotta love it!
I feel like you are misusing the term "core fanbase". Nitendo's "core fanbase" are the people who like what they are doing. Not the people who wish they were doing something else. There are a ton of people who finish a Zelda game and then just immediately want another Zelda game just like the one they just played.

You and I aren't those people, but they exist...

Tags
nintendo