Yesterday 01:43 PM
8 Replies, 911 Views

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

PS4 Pre-Loading Pre-Orders

Seen over at Engadget :

Quote:
Tired of making sandwich after sandwich, idly waiting while the ol' PlayStation 4 downloads Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes? Though we'd never encourage you to stop making delicious sandwiches, we do sympathize with the situation. Thankfully for you, Sony's adding pre-loading of all pre-ordered upcoming games to the PlayStation 4 starting this fall with Bungie's next big game: Destiny. That means you can download the whole shebang ahead of the game's "official" launch on September 9th, and when midnight strikes, you're ready to go. Bizarrely, the news comes via PlayStation Network message from Ubisoft; as seen above, Watch Dogs (which launches this Tuesday) won't have pre-loading. Sorry Charlie! Come September, however, you're good to go.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Great news, I'm still not sure I'm all-in for digital-only games. I think there would need to be some kind of a significant discount to make me pass up the disc.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Zelos
Evil Dead

PC did it first you lose.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Nice to see the consoles finally starting to catch up to what pc users have had for years now.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nice to see the consoles finally starting to catch up to what pc users have had for years now.
Yes, because we should all be celebrating the loss of our rights to digital content.

I think it is easy to forget that the primary reason that the Xbone is failing this generation is because Microsoft tried to move everything over to 100% digital content and the consumers rebelled and rejected that idea.

What people seem to celebrate about Steam is everything that Microsoft wanted -- and exactly what the consumers didn't want. A few discounts on old games and people quickly forget that they can't loan or sell their old games. Your entire Steam library is worthless, and may some day disappear if Valve goes out of business.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Yes, because we should all be celebrating the loss of our rights to digital content.

I think it is easy to forget that the primary reason that the Xbone is failing this generation is because Microsoft tried to move everything over to 100% digital content and the consumers rebelled and rejected that idea.

What people seem to celebrate about Steam is everything that Microsoft wanted -- and exactly what the consumers didn't want. A few discounts on old games and people quickly forget that they can't loan or sell their old games. Your entire Steam library is worthless, and may some day disappear if Valve goes out of business.
You speak as though Steam is the only digital distro platform out there. I have little doubt that if Valve were to ever go under (LOL) they'd offer to unlock the drm from people's libraries,, much like the offline profile workaround for titles that used GFWL.

The Xbone is failing not due to DRM, it's failing due to the hardware not being anything resembling "Next Gen" in the first place and MS being retarded enough in initially forcing the Kinect making the console far more expensive than it needed to be.

I own both consoles anyway because there are certain games I'd rather or have to play on a console. I can't get The Show on PC, I can't get NHL on PC, or for example on the Xbone side, Dead Rising 3 or Killer Instinct.

I'm a gamer first and foremost, the petty console fanboys are just that, petty as fuck.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
Paranoia
Evil Dead

I still prefer disc based games. I don't like the idea of downloading 50Gigs of data that will only cause issue with my data cap.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
You speak as though Steam is the only digital distro platform out there. I have little doubt that if Valve were to ever go under (LOL) they'd offer to unlock the drm from people's libraries,, much like the offline profile workaround for titles that used GFWL.

The Xbone is failing not due to DRM, it's failing due to the hardware not being anything resembling "Next Gen" in the first place and MS being retarded enough in initially forcing the Kinect making the console far more expensive than it needed to be.

I own both consoles anyway because there are certain games I'd rather or have to play on a console. I can't get The Show on PC, I can't get NHL on PC, or for example on the Xbone side, Dead Rising 3 or Killer Instinct.

I'm a gamer first and foremost, the petty console fanboys are just that, petty as fuck.
Gamer 1st. I don't think it is the DRM, it is the fact that both consoles including the PS4 are silly underpowered. Everybody talks about 1080p vs. 720p. Serious? I care about 4k. All 3 of my gaming pc's are capable but neither next gen console is?

It is funny how the kids on the internet argue the PS4 is so much more powerful. Yeah maybe a little, but not ever worth arguing about. I want 4k on my consoles.

And I own all the consoles including the shield.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
92miata
Evil Dead

Also, my 3 year old gaming machine has 12 gigs of memory, 1 year old has 16. Current gaming pc has 64 gigs.....:^P
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
It is funny how the kids on the internet argue the PS4 is so much more powerful. Yeah maybe a little, but not ever worth arguing about. I want 4k on my consoles.

The power of the console has nothing to do how much fun a game is. If you got 4k on PS4, what would you do with it, look at high resolution pictures?

Both PS3 and 360 are ancient consoles and it didn't stop Rockstar from selling millions of copies of GTA5. PS4/XBOX have a great future ahead if they release solid titles which will look just fine on the majority of 1080p TVs. Complaining about 4k when most people are using 1080p TVs is silly.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:

NOPE

Digital distribution has proven to be an effective and acceptable form of DRM. If other platforms want to embrace it, great. This will give us that much more of an excuse when they try to pull some other kind of shady underhanded DRM like the SecuROM days before they toned that shit down. Steam sales weren't the only thing that made them attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
Gamer 1st. I don't think it is the DRM, it is the fact that both consoles including the PS4 are silly underpowered. Everybody talks about 1080p vs. 720p. Serious? I care about 4k. All 3 of my gaming pc's are capable but neither next gen console is?

Your gaming PC is capable of 4K? You have two Titan level video cards running in SLI. That's impressive. What does that cost... around $1000, right?

And that is with a $700 or $1200 monitor.

Oh, and lets not forget that there aren't really any games that support that resolution correctly.

I don't think 4K is anything people should be at all concerned about. It's something for PC gamers to pretend is important when really we are still years away from it being an actual thing.

A PS4 costs $400. Until recently an Xbone cost $500. That's less than half of one of those Titan cards. I think that kinda explains why console gaming has become such a beast and PC gaming is now the red-headed stepchild.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
NOPE

Digital distribution has proven to be an effective and acceptable form of DRM. If other platforms want to embrace it, great. This will give us that much more of an excuse when they try to pull some other kind of shady underhanded DRM like the SecuROM days before they toned that shit down. Steam sales weren't the only thing that made them attractive.
It's DRM. That's exactly why Microsoft loved it. I'm sure Hollywood would love it too. We gave away those rights on the PC and now we are heading full-speed into a future where we give away those rights on the console.

Are you aware of the situation with Hachette and Amazon? That is how big companies treat people once people are under their thumb.

It's not pretty.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
I still prefer disc based games. I don't like the idea of downloading 50Gigs of data that will only cause issue with my data cap.
For me as a european buying games on the US PSN is dirt cheap. 30% cheaper than the stores over here.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
ldi222
Evil Dead

Quote:
If Valve was ever to go out of business, I'm sure there would be some notice and at that time if you really wanted a backup of your digital content you could install every game and configure Steam to run in Offline mode.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
sixtyfps
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldi222 View Post
If Valve was ever to go out of business, I'm sure there would be some notice and at that time if you really wanted a backup of your digital content you could install every game and configure Steam to run in Offline mode.
And when your Windows installation goes kaput...?

Wanting to be taken seriously as a gamer is like wanting to be taken "dessertly" as a potato. —LoTECH
sixtyfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #17
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
It's DRM. That's exactly why Microsoft loved it. I'm sure Hollywood would love it too. We gave away those rights on the PC and now we are heading full-speed into a future where we give away those rights on the console.

Are you aware of the situation with Hachette and Amazon? That is how big companies treat people once people are under their thumb.

It's not pretty.
Quite aware, but Gabe also left Microsoft to go do things his way, and so far his way has been a breath of fresh air, if not to be so bold as to state the "Best" way to handle DRM and your customers. Valve remains private for a reason, they don't need anybody but the loyalty of their fans while showing steady positive growth in the process. Just the right size for a company that it doesn't lose sight of the big picture, while they continue painting it in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

It's not pretty.
Like your digital downloads off the Sony store aren't DRM.. I know you're trying to troll PC gamers Evil. But everytime you try this you do such a laughable job at it, best to quit while you're behind.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Yep, glad to see one more nail in physical media's coffin.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #20
Schling Fo
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
This is a big reason why physical media isn't yet being nailed into a coffin.

Until data is unlimited and free, ISP service is 100% reliable, and hard drives never fail or fill up, any game I purchase will be an actual physical item that I can hold in my hands and keep on my shelf "in case shit."
Schling Fo is offline   Reply With Quote