Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 06:26 AM
0 Replies, 52 Views

Old 11-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #21
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcinder View Post
Do a reddit search on Wow Private Servers. I currently play on LightsHope which is a vanilla wow server. Peak times you'll see 6-9k on a few of these servers. The population is enormous.
I started on pirate servers before I paid to play. The pirate servers were always buggy and broken and would constantly crash and you'd lose progress or your whole character (or account). I guess that others don't get attached to their progress or characters or even care that much that the game and dungeon fights and mobs don't work right -- but it was an absolute turn off for me.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I would rather see something new. But WoW 2 if it is ever a thing might not be coming out anytime soon. Some time in the future it could be a mobile game. With the gobal mobile market size would it really be that shocking 5 or 10 years from now? Not saying I really want that to happen but would not be surprised either.
If we see another Warcraft game, it'll most likely be an RTS or a more action-oriented game in a similar vein as Overwatch.

MMOs - while not dead - aren't even remotely as lucrative or popular as they were 13 years ago. WoW's success simultaneously helped put the genre on the map (in terms of wider and/or mainstream appeal) and killed it over the span of a decade.

WoW will be the last MMO we see out of Blizzard, I think.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

To me, vanilla WoW is defined by having to wait at the entrance to dungeons and actually having to ask people if you can join their group. Ah the Deadmines days.

Oh and the infamous gank spot of Tarren Mills.

But that's more nostalgia than gameplay. I'm too far gone to go back, but it is good that people have choices now.

That said, they need to ultimately decide what they want to do with WoW as far as story lines go. Legion is just slightly retread territory of BC. They need to progress the whole Alliance vs Horde plot that they keep stalling with the whole greater threat.

There doesn't need to be a WoW 2 as in a whole new game from the ground up. That never works well for an MMO as I feel it just splinters the audience or they just give up since they have to start over. Everquest 2 died because no one wanted to move on from Everquest 1, imo.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
That said, they need to ultimately decide what they want to do with WoW as far as story lines go. Legion is just slightly retread territory of BC. They need to progress the whole Alliance vs Horde plot that they keep stalling with the whole greater threat.
That's precisely what they're doing with the next expansion.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
I ask you, what actually is "the game experience" because even just no-expac WoW had massive changes from launch to last patch. Is Stratholme 15, 10, or 5 players? What about silly rouges "Swirly ball" (detect traps)? About the only thing I foresee agreement on is no flying mounts. What about all the other core modernizations of the game? You really want a 60 min hearthstone again? No guild bank?

Raid gear also trashed PvP honor gear -- there was a lot of bad player behavior that players engaged in due to (or to exploit) mechanics of the game. Honor / PvP ranking being top of the list.

If you're expecting to "just go back to original code” I believe Blizzard set that expectation at "No." It'll be interesting to me what WoW Classic maintains, what modernizations it adds, and what it tosses out.
Rogue's detect traps is a toggle skill now. It used to a self buff (swirly ball dispel animation.) I'm guessing they'll probably keep it a passive unless they feel like jerking off a meme.

The massive changes wow had from launch to the first xpac was the release/population of a few zones, dungeons and raids. Dire Maul and BWL/Naxx/AQ/ZG/ZA additions. There were many changes to holiday events, and wow classic had several unique events (scourge invasion for the xpac, accidental blood plague).

Stratholme wasn't changed till several xpacs. So It'll be 5 man. UBRS was the 10 man oddity.

Personally I'm not nostalgia afflicted. I'll probably give it a spin to see how it is since its free with my sub anyways, but I don't see me re-doing old raids again.

Tags
blizzard, world of warcraft