Dishonored & Prey...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:37 PM
4 Replies, 229 Views

Old 10-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA's Sports Business Is The Big Bright Spot For The Company Right Now

Microtransactions. It's in the game! GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Electronic Arts has reported earnings for its second fiscal quarter, which ended on September 30, 2017. It was a period that saw most of its major sports game release, and EA seems quite happy with the results overall.

"We saw a notable shift to digital in our sports titles and remarkable growth in Ultimate Team," CFO Blake Jorgensen said. "Our sports titles have once again shown their value in delivering a stable and dependable performance. This quarter demonstrates how they can drive our business and offers a window into how our games will evolve over the months and years to come."

Indeed, digital net bookings (what EA called net sales previously) were up 26% year-over-year to $3.24 billion for the 12 months ending in September. During the second quarter alone, digital net revenue was $689 million, up from $566 million the year prior. This move to digital, however, resulted in a drop in "packaged goods and other net revenue," which fell to $270 million from $332 million a year ago. Total net revenue, however, was up to $959 million from $898 million.

EA shared little about specific games, though it did say that more than half of Madden 18 players "engaged" with its new Longshot story mode. FIFA Mobile has now seen more than 113 million total players, while Battlefield 1 has attracted 23.5 million. Monthly active players in The Sims 4 on PC were up 40% compared to the same period a year ago. EA didn't reference the return of NBA Live, which was perhaps the most interesting release from the company during this quarter.
I do like EA Sports' Madden and NHL titles, but buying virtual card packs is not my thing.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Big FIFA 18 patch nerfs passing
Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I wonder if Madden will see as dramatic a shift in purchases as viewers have left the NFL. I tend to think people will still vicariously play Fantasy Football and Madden even while not watching the games themselves.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I wonder if Madden will see as dramatic a shift in purchases as viewers have left the NFL. I tend to think people will still vicariously play Fantasy Football and Madden even while not watching the games themselves.
People are hooked on getting those Ultimate Team card packs.

A good friend of mine and I used to collect Baseball and Football cards. We were Jets season tickets holders and Mets fans, that went to a lot of games. The cards can get very, very addicting. Especially when you buy the boxes of 24 packs. We both stopped buying the cards because we both got married, a mortgage etc.

From my expierience with Madden Ultimate Team being able to take those uber cards out on the field of play makes it potentially more addicting. I can see people blowing a small fortune on it.

At least I still have all of my physical cards, which are worth less since eBay came along. Still, Joe Namath!

Tags
ea sports, electronic arts