1 Replies, 60 Views
There Are 28 Different...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 06:16 AM
13 Replies, 423 Views

Old 09-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Father of the Web Tim Berners-Lee Tells His Radical Plan to Upend the World Wide Web

Fast Company has the story.

Quote:
Last week, Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, asked me to come and see a project he has been working on almost as long as the web itself. It’s a crisp autumn day in Boston, where Berners-Lee works out of an office above a boxing gym. After politely offering me a cup of coffee, he leads us into a sparse conference room. At one end of a long table is a battered laptop covered with stickers. Here, on this computer, he is working on a plan to radically alter how all of us live and work on the web.

“The intent is world domination,” Berners-Lee says with a wry smile. The British-born scientist is known for his dry sense of humor. But in this case, he is not joking.

This week, Berners-Lee will launch, Inrupt, a startup that he has been building, in stealth mode, for the past nine months. Backed by Glasswing Ventures, its mission is to turbocharge a broader movement afoot, among developers around the world, to decentralize the web and take back power from the forces that have profited from centralizing it. In other words, it’s game on for Facebook, Google, Amazon. For years now, Berners-Lee and other internet activists have been dreaming of a digital utopia where individuals control their own data and the internet remains free and open. But for Berners-Lee, the time for dreaming is over.

“We have to do it now,” he says, displaying an intensity and urgency that is uncharacteristic for this soft-spoken academic. “It’s a historical moment.” Ever since revelations emerged that Facebook had allowed people’s data to be misused by political operatives, Berners-Lee has felt an imperative to get this digital idyll into the real world. In a post published this weekend, Berners-Lee explains that he is taking a sabbatical from MIT to work full time on Inrupt. The company will be the first major commercial venture built off of Solid, a decentralized web platform he and others at MIT have spent years building.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Now is he saying this because he realizes Facebook and the rest of the social media sites are schilling for liberals? Or is he saying this because he's bought into the russia lie?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
a decentralized web platform he and others at MIT have spent years building.
We need it. We currently have authoritarian communist nations like China using leftist Western technology companies to work their will in controlling the web and those who use it in authoritarian nations while those same fundamentalist tech companies work to censor and manipulate web content in the West.

Fuck these people and their 'science is settled....no platforming...speech is violence' excuses for their puritanical thought control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
We need it. We currently have authoritarian communist nations like China using leftist Western technology companies to work their will in controlling the web and those who use it in authoritarian nations while those same fundamentalist tech companies work to censor and manipulate web content in the West.

Fuck these people and their 'science is settled....no platforming...speech is violence' excuses for their puritanical thought control.
We aren't always on the same page, but what Terran said!
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

My biggest main issue with the current situation is that the companies holding/selling/using our data have little to no accountability and Zero at CEO/Executive level. IMO most companies have shown little to no respect OUR for personal data, only that they can sell it. Week in week out these companies demonstrate this and seemingly get away with it other than bad publicity for a few weeks in the press.

Sounds like a really interesting idea in that users own their data about themselves and decide who/how it's used .. what a novel idea to own the information that defines you... go Tim!
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
My biggest main issue with the current situation is that the companies holding/selling/using our data have little to no accountability and Zero at CEO/Executive level. IMO most companies have shown little to no respect OUR for personal data, only that they can sell it. Week in week out these companies demonstrate this and seemingly get away with it other than bad publicity for a few weeks in the press.
Let's be fair, these are private companies not public platforms. It isn't "your" data that they are selling, it is their own data. You don't have to use their products and you don't have to agree to their terms of service.

That's the big issue. Everyone is crying about twitter and Facebook banning conservatives, but conservatives have no right to freedom on those platforms. They are private companies and can allow anyone that they want to use their service and/or disallow any speech that they see fit.

Just stop using them. Twitter has always been on the verge of going out of business and Facebook has lost a ton of market share since they changed how your feed works. If the 50% of the country that is conservative just stopped using these platforms, they would go out of business almost overnight.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Let's be fair, these are private companies not public platforms. It isn't "your" data that they are selling, it is their own data. You don't have to use their products and you don't have to agree to their terms of service.

That's the big issue. Everyone is crying about twitter and Facebook banning conservatives, but conservatives have no right to freedom on those platforms. They are private companies and can allow anyone that they want to use their service and/or disallow any speech that they see fit.

Just stop using them. Twitter has always been on the verge of going out of business and Facebook has lost a ton of market share since they changed how your feed works. If the 50% of the country that is conservative just stopped using these platforms, they would go out of business almost overnight.
Bullshit, people have the right to speak in what would be considered the "town square" Social media in this age IS the town square as print media was when we were growing up. It's just a different medium now but the situation is the same as it's always been. If twitter was honest they would also ban all the anti white, pro Islam, content. They do not, they only target conservatives, when you pick and choose what is considered offensive based solely on political leanings you don't have a fair playing field.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

That's a double edged sword... (l hope for the best)

Both Far left and Far right should go hide in their basements like they used too...
Now with social media all live in their bauble of same-thinkers and actual believe the rest of the world is like them... (while the huge majority look at them and laugh/cry)

That is why the Tiki torched neo-nazis came out in public like its cool ...
or the lefties hippies come out and scream idiotic stuff they "read online"

If half the money of the army went to educate people we will be living in other planets by now... and USA would be the dominate country everywhere (cultural victory in Civ 5 :P )
Old 09-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:

These same companies donate money and services to Political Campaigns so why should they not have to follow the same rules the government has to since they are such an influence on it? Isn't the bill of rights suppose to protect us from tyranny?
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton View Post
These same companies donate money and services to Political Campaigns so why should they not have to follow the same rules the government has to since they are such an influence on it? Isn't the bill of rights suppose to protect us from tyranny?
btw the lobbying thing is the most stupidest thing i looked at ...

In Greece you will get 5-15 years in prison if you give them money ...

The "taxpayers" give the parties money to use in political campaigns ... and if they misuse them they end-up in prison (last week a 20 years term politician got out of prison after 8 years because he used them for personal items)
Old 09-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton View Post
They only donate what the law allows them to donate. If you don't like that, change the law. So, no they don't have to follow the rules about free speech, they aren't public platforms they are private companies.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Bullshit, people have the right to speak in what would be considered the "town square" Social media in this age IS the town square as print media was when we were growing up. It's just a different medium now but the situation is the same as it's always been. If twitter was honest they would also ban all the anti white, pro Islam, content. They do not, they only target conservatives, when you pick and choose what is considered offensive based solely on political leanings you don't have a fair playing field.
Bullshit. Those are private companies and have always been private companies. They don't have to give you or anyone else a platform to spout speech that they don't agree with. If you don't like that, then you can start your own social media platform (like Gab).

Don't get fooled by conservative talking points. If it was YOUR business, would you want the government stepping in and telling you who you had to allow to use your product? Would you want people who you are totally opposed to using your products? I know I wouldn't want some government agency stepping into the business I spent decades building and telling me what I had to allow or not allow in my product.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #13
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
They only donate what the law allows them to donate. If you don't like that, change the law. So, no they don't have to follow the rules about free speech, they aren't public platforms they are private companies.
Thats my point though. How is the average person going to change the law when everything behind the scenes is being run/funded by corps? And if you think they follow every law youre being naieve.

Google and Facebook are the easiest to find this kind of stuff for.
https://personalliberty.com/google-c...ent-donations/
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
Blackwing
Slacker

Quote:
It's hard to uphold the value of free speech when private companies (usually at the behest of the vocal minority) stifle it. Without that value, it is easier for our government to kill it.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:

great. if that is right then as a private citizen running my private business incan stop your from entering my store, deny making you a wedding cake, den serving you food, etc. bedause well it’s a private business.

i say BS. you sell a service you sell it equally to everyone. even those you disagree with
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #16
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

lol you dont have Democracy ... you vote for people to vote for you ... (representative democracy)

The big problem is that they are sold to the highest bitter ... So corporations buy them (or rent them)

Now that there is the technology you can have direct Democracy like It was supposed to be ...
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Well, I looked into this SOLID pod thing. There's really no reason to sign up for one right now unless you are a developer.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The town square, in this case, is privately owned and not technically a truly open and/or free platform. In regards to print media, the editorial section was the only space in which "anyone" could speak...and that was also curated and controlled by the editorial staff. Newspapers have always been free to publish - or not publish - whatever they wanted in the editorial/letters-to-the-editor sections.

We're ultimatley talking about private platforms.

Tags
global domination