Today 02:42 PM
4 Replies, 198 Views

Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered Announced for PS4, Xbox & Switch

Quote:
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Gets a High-Res Remaster This Year

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers! I’m Matt McKnight, the biz dev director and producer on the upcoming Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered. That’s right, we’re breaking some news globally today. The game that’s been known as a love letter to Ghostbusters fans is making a high-resolution comeback!

I still remember the first time I ever heard about Ghostbusters. It had launched in theaters in the summer of 1984 and I knew had to catch it on the big screen. It was playing at the great old Coronet Theater in San Francisco (which now happens to be a senior housing facility). What followed was a smash hit in creativity, comedy, and universe building. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson had starred in one of the most successful action comedy films of its time — a film written by Aykroyd and Ramis themselves.

Over two decades later, Ghostbusters: The Video Game released, and I was excited but cautious. Licensed games can often be an afterthought, but I couldn’t have been more pleasantly surprised. The game was also penned by Aykroyd and Ramis, and featured a story set shortly after the events of Ghostbusters II. Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson are all in the game with their voices and likenesses. It became a game beloved by fans that really made you feel like you were joining the team and participating in a Ghostbusters movie.

For those who haven’t played the original game, you’ll join the Ghostbusters as the new rookie recruit. Using tools like the PKE Meter and trusty Proton Pack, you’ll learn to hunt, wrangle, and trap ghosts with the team across iconic New York City locations like Times Square and Central Park. You’ll upgrade your ghost traps and Proton Pack. The Proton Pack will have alternate firing modes such as Shock Blast and Slime Blower.

Getting into wild, funny, and exciting ghostly adventures with the Ghostbusters through all the action brings a big smile to my face, and we hope it does the same for you. We can’t wait to announce more details about the game soon. Until then, don’t cross the streams!

We’re incredibly honored and excited to announce Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered will be launching on PS4 in 2019. All of the in-game videos and cutscenes were found on a hard drive in storage from one of the original creators and remastered in 4K. The great storytelling and audio has all been preserved while enhanced textures and lighting complete the package.

For those who haven’t played the original game, you’ll join the Ghostbusters as the new rookie recruit. Using tools like the PKE Meter and trusty Proton Pack, you’ll learn to hunt, wrangle, and trap ghosts with the team across iconic New York City locations like Times Square and Central Park. You’ll upgrade your ghost traps and Proton Pack. The Proton Pack will have alternate firing modes such as Shock Blast and Slime Blower.

Getting into wild, funny, and exciting ghostly adventures with the Ghostbusters through all the action brings a big smile to my face, and we hope it does the same for you. We can’t wait to announce more details about the game soon. Until then, don’t cross the streams!
blog.us.playstation.com
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Great! I'm glad I never made it more than 30 minutes in and left it on my shelf for years to buy it again! Story of my gaming life!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
walstib
Evil Dead

I remember the original version on the Atari 8-bit computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph87Lftez5w

Not a bad game - we enjoyed playing it.

In fact it was better than the reboot movie - but that's like saying chocolate is better than crap. they look similar....
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
Oddmaker
Developer

I remember and I'm still impressed by the voice at the start!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
I remember the original version on the Atari 8-bit computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph87Lftez5w

Not a bad game - we enjoyed playing it.

In fact it was better than the reboot movie - but that's like saying chocolate is better than crap. they look similar....
I had that version of the game for both the Atari 2600, and the C-64. It was a fun game back in the day!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I had that version of the game for both the Atari 2600, and the C-64. It was a fun game back in the day!
had no idea it was also on the 2600 but sweet jeebus you are correct!

it was impressive to have “digitized voice” on the atari 800XL - Castle Wolfenstein had it too albeit not as clear. so many fond memories of that ‘puter. it spawned my career as a dev.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
formeragent
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Oh man how many times I died trying to get through marshmallow man's feet at the end of the game. I do remember feeling let down that it took that long to beat it to only see that it was the end of the game. Still epic for it's time
formeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
had no idea it was also on the 2600 but sweet jeebus you are correct!

it was impressive to have “digitized voice” on the atari 800XL - Castle Wolfenstein had it too albeit not as clear. so many fond memories of that ‘puter. it spawned my career as a dev.
Mine as well. I had an Atari 800 and an Apple ][e. I had the C compiler for the Apple. I remember compiling a program and then spending 5 minutes swapping disks in the single disk drive, lol.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Mine as well. I had an Atari 800 and an Apple ][e. I had the C compiler for the Apple. I remember compiling a program and then spending 5 minutes swapping disks in the single disk drive, lol.
devs today are spoiled with their 1s and 0s. back then we only had 0s. and sometimes an occasional O slipped in. programming was hell 😉

but yeah. my experience as well. i used to know 6502C assembly. it is truly amazing what devs did then when having a low resource budget!

my top 3 games from that era:

Ultima 4
Alternate Reality the City
Alternate Reality the Dungeon

so many others but those stick out as outstanding for so many reasons

...and Ghostbusters 👍

Tags
ghostbusters