Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 10:36 PM
4,834 Replies, 1,054,915 Views

Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Stranded Elite Dangerous Pilot Rescued after 3 Months

Quote:
An Elite Dangerous pilot, Commander Deluvian Reyes Cruz, has been stranded in space for three months. Ambitiously hoping to set a record for the furthest distance travelled from Sol, he has instead found himself trapped in the lifeless abyss beyond the edge of the Milky Way, no doubt risking space madness. It took him over a month to reach that point, and he's been stuck there since November. This week, rescue is finally in sight.

It's being mounted by the Fuel Rats, which isn't too surprising. This player-created organisation has rescued countless players—including one attempt thwarted by a cat—supplying stranded pilots with life-saving fuel, and they're exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to exist out in space. When your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, you can get help, so why not out there, too?

The Fuel Rats must be a bit sick of daredevil explorers. Quite a few pilots have struck out into the unknowable reaches of space, setting records and getting stranded. Travelling beyond the galaxy seems like the easy bit; the hard part is getting back. And when players miscalculate their fuel consumption, it's the Fuel Rats that have to make journeys that take hundreds of hours—600 in this case—to save them.
PC Gamer.

You will never be this hardcore.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
Kalti
Peon

I love this.
Kalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I wonder if these guys role play the entire time.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Now that's some cool shit right there, couldn't get into Elite but that community sounds pretty awesome.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I love stories like this. I don't know if I'd ever have the patience to play some of these games, but the stories that come out of 'em are always great.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I love the idea, but I wonder why guys jump this far out. There isn't anything out there. I think they need to put something else out there at some horrific distance (ever read YOU???) and let people find it.

Not that I'm not saying I don't admire these guys, I do, but I think exploring the galaxy already takes months so going out in the big empty seems like it would be...

Big.

And empty.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I'm surprised hes survived that long, the game is as interesting as watching a microwave cook a burrito but less rewarding.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

I think my interest in this game peaked and dissipated in the time it took me to read this thread.

Thank you, next!*

*I threw up a little. I can't stand little Ms. Sinusitis. Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I had my skin saved by a fuel rat during my early days. It was like working with a OnStar rep. Super professional and helpful.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I love the idea, but I wonder why guys jump this far out. There isn't anything out there. I think they need to put something else out there at some horrific distance (ever read YOU???) and let people find it.

Not that I'm not saying I don't admire these guys, I do, but I think exploring the galaxy already takes months so going out in the big empty seems like it would be...

Big.

And empty.
With the update this past December they made some significant changes to Exploration. There were a lot of things out there. Mostly just what you'd expect to see, spatial anomalies, geological formations, and odd biological stuff. Example picture i took below. Still not more exciting that exploring Guardian ruins. And significantly less exciting than killing Thargoids.

The new changes exposed a lot of content that was hidden throughout each sector. It now pays a shitload of money too. I made about 30 million credits from about 10 systems worth of Earth and Water planets.

It is a lot of fun playing it in VR though.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I love the idea, but I wonder why guys jump this far out.
Cuz.. you make more money that way as an explorer. I stopped playing a few years back but even then a lot of space was already explored. If you wanted to make a living as an explorer (even though overhead is way low) you really needed to scoop some planets and places no one had ever been to. There was a huge bonus for that.

I dipped my toe in everything and almost lost it both as a merc and a trader, while I had a great time being a miner (weirdly, I also enjoyed that in EVE) but exploration was easily the dullest thing I had ever done. I think I spent like two months just bouncing around and scanning every heavenly body I could find and almost got myself messed up with bad planning even in relatively known systems but it was still boring as hell. When I got back and uploaded my charts, nothing was previously undiscovered and I made about as much money as a week of mining.

It was around then I quit and haven't come back.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I used to have stress dreams about Elite where I’d jump into a system too close to a star. Haven’t had time in the last year to play and keep meaning to get back. You need to put in several hundred hours to reach “end game” ships and gear, which scares 95% of newbies after a couple days. It’s about creating your goals. The community was always professional. There’s a ton of ingame lore and the novels range from decent to great.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

A lot's changed in the past year Mad Max. Word is the developer who was pushing to make it grindy was moved to another project. With the last patch in this past December it's super easy to make money in both mining and exploration. And scanning planets is ridiculously fast now. You can scan a whole system from the Sun. if you want bonus money for mapping a planet you still have to fly to it.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
With the update this past December they made some significant changes to Exploration. There were a lot of things out there. Mostly just what you'd expect to see, spatial anomalies, geological formations, and odd biological stuff. Example picture i took below. Still not more exciting that exploring Guardian ruins. And significantly less exciting than killing Thargoids.

The new changes exposed a lot of content that was hidden throughout each sector. It now pays a shitload of money too. I made about 30 million credits from about 10 systems worth of Earth and Water planets.

It is a lot of fun playing it in VR though.
That was my point, he isn't exploring new systems, he left the galaxy and was heading out into the big black empty. There is nothing out there except the prestige of being able to say that you got further out than anyone else has.

When there is still a ton of the galaxy left unexplored (for people who want to head really far out) it seems silly to get stranded out in the middle of nothing.

I love community stories like this, I just think if you are going to get stuck it should be somewhere where there is "something".
Old 02-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'll add that I need to get back into this one. I put some time into it on the PC and I haven't done much with it on the PS4. I thought the controls were a lot easier to manage on the PS4. Though, I don't guess you could stream yourself sitting in the void for 3 months on the PS4. Power save settings and all. Heh.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #16
AlfredT
Evil Dead

I play this game Single player all the time.. but it pisses me off when I can't cuz server issues etc.,

Tags
elite dangerous