Outer Wilds - Launch...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Yesterday 01:43 PM
8 Replies, 911 Views

Old 05-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

EA closes BioWare Mass Effect Studio

Rumors are floating around that after the failure of Mass Effect Andromeda that EA is dropping the Mass Effect product line and downsizing the studio responsible.

Quote:
BioWare Montreal Scaled Down, Mass Effect Put On Ice For Now

In the wake of BioWare’s polarizing Mass Effect: Andromeda, fans have wondered where the lauded sci-fi series will go next. The answer, according to people familiar with the studio, is nowhere—at least for the time being. BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda’s developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

That doesn’t mean there will never be another Mass Effect game, of course. It’s unlikely that BioWare will kill the popular sci-fi franchise. But BioWare is letting Mass Effect sit for a while rather than putting staff on Andromeda’s follow-up right away, those sources said.

Last month, a number of BioWare Montreal employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront II. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare’s other games including the new intellectual property, code-named Dylan, which we expect the company to announce at E3. BioWare Montreal will also continue to patch and support Andromeda’s multiplayer.

BioWare’s main studio in Edmonton is heading up Dylan, while BioWare’s other studio, in Austin, is also helping out with that game.

When reached for comment, publisher Electronic Arts sent over the following statement, attributed to BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy:

"Our teams at BioWare and across EA put in tremendous effort bringing Mass Effect Andromeda to players around the world. Even as BioWare continues to focus on the Mass Effect Andromeda community and live service, we are constantly looking at how we’re prepared for the next experiences we will create.

The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we are driving collaboration between studios on key projects.

With our BioWare and Motive teams sharing studio space in Montreal, we have BioWare team members joining Motive projects that are underway. We’re also ramping up teams on other BioWare projects in development.

There will be much more to come from BioWare in the years ahead."
SJW's kill everything they touch. Lesson learned EA?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Mondopest
Evil Dead

I digress....

I remember getting a really early look at Dragon Age 2 while at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con. They had shown a bit at E3 but no real gameplay yet. I was sitting in the "BioWare Base" and watching the gameplay demo thinking, "Man, they really dumbed this thing down". I feel like that might have been the beginning of the end for them. DA2, ME3, DAI, MEA.... A shame, really.

I remember talking to Mike Laidlaw (a lead designer at BioWare who also worked on the Baldur's Gate series) after the DA2 demo. We had spoken at previous gaming events and bonded over Minsc and Boo (characters from the BG series we both loved) and how he tried to bring in Miniature Giant Space Hamsters in their games wherever possible as a tribute. Despite this, he seemed weird about DA2, like he knew they were taking it in an off-direction from what came before.

Oh well, I wish anyone laid off from BWM the best of luck. The gaming industry is a harsh mistress.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They won't learn a lesson because the lesson they take from failure is that the voters...ahem, customers....were too stupid to understand the importance of what they were communicating in their groundbreaking fugly game.

They're dead to me as far as my spending is concerned. Dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondopest View Post
I digress....
I remember getting a really early look at Dragon Age 2 while at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con. They had shown a bit at E3 but no real gameplay yet. I was sitting in the "BioWare Base" and watching the gameplay demo thinking, "Man, they really dumbed this thing down". I feel like that might have been the beginning of the end for them. DA2, ME3, DAI, MEA.... A shame, really.
You hit the nail on the head. Dead on.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Just like the comic book industry, maybe the gaming industry is getting the message as well. People just do not want politics in their entertainment.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Social Justice meets reality. Justice prevailed.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Called it and called it. Then again it's like saying the sun would rise in the east tomorrow morning. Although plenty of people are blind...
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Ozymandis
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondopest View Post
I digress....

I remember talking to Mike Laidlaw (a lead designer at BioWare who also worked on the Baldur's Gate series) after the DA2 demo. We had spoken at previous gaming events and bonded over Minsc and Boo (characters from the BG series we both loved) and how he tried to bring in Miniature Giant Space Hamsters in their games wherever possible as a tribute. Despite this, he seemed weird about DA2, like he knew they were taking it in an off-direction from what came before.

Oh well, I wish anyone laid off from BWM the best of luck. The gaming industry is a harsh mistress.
That's my take on it too. The politics are ok* but Bioware has really dumbed down their games. The one successful RPG of "modern" Bioware to me was Dragon Age: Origins, which was a throwback in many ways, and then in the two sequels they basically slashed and burned the depth right out of the game. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were great in spite of themselves; the RPG gameplay was cut down but I feel like the attention to the characters and interactions made me overlook that. ME3 and DA2/I were disastrous; shallow, stupid, and, in ME3 in particular, they cut out the best parts of 2, while making it a better action game. The problem there for me was that there are a lot of good action games, and especially better cover shooters, but Bioware RPGs had a unique niche that isn't filled by other games. Better action paired with worse characters, a fucking terrible ending, one single quest hub (with poor quest design), etc. etc. was an unacceptable trade. Then you had SWTOR which was a WoW clone aimed at WoW BC or even pre-BC, that blew its whole wad on voice acting, but overall was a very mediocre game. And now Mass Effect: Andromeda which was a beta-quality release masquerading as a $60+ AAA title.

Bioware did themselves in.

*I can agree or disagree with Bioware's politics but ultimately their games featured inclusiveness which felt very forced. Diversity is great. However, you should weave your tales and characters in a natural way rather than filling quotas.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Rumors are floating around that after the failure of Mass Effect Andromeda that EA is dropping the Mass Effect product line and downsizing the studio responsible.

SJW's kill everything they touch. Lesson learned EA?
More like EA kills everything it touches.

Can't believe how far EA has changed, philosophically speaking, from when they first started.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Mondopest
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
That's my take on it too. The politics are ok* but Bioware has really dumbed down their games. The one successful RPG of "modern" Bioware to me was Dragon Age: Origins, which was a throwback in many ways, and then in the two sequels they basically slashed and burned the depth right out of the game. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were great in spite of themselves; the RPG gameplay was cut down but I feel like the attention to the characters and interactions made me overlook that. ME3 and DA2/I were disastrous; shallow, stupid, and, in ME3 in particular, they cut out the best parts of 2, while making it a better action game. The problem there for me was that there are a lot of good action games, and especially better cover shooters, but Bioware RPGs had a unique niche that isn't filled by other games. Better action paired with worse characters, a fucking terrible ending, one single quest hub (with poor quest design), etc. etc. was an unacceptable trade. Then you had SWTOR which was a WoW clone aimed at WoW BC or even pre-BC, that blew its whole wad on voice acting, but overall was a very mediocre game. And now Mass Effect: Andromeda which was a beta-quality release masquerading as a $60+ AAA title.

Bioware did themselves in.

*I can agree or disagree with Bioware's politics but ultimately their games featured inclusiveness which felt very forced. Diversity is great. However, you should weave your tales and characters in a natural way rather than filling quotas.
Absolutely. I have no issue with diversity but they dropped the target of their games to what seems to the lowest denominator (forgetting the "common" part altogether).
Old 05-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

EA Montreal was scaled down not closed. Mondopest has it spot on though I truly believe the scaling down and forcing diversity started long before being a subsidiary of EA. It's also interesting to me that all of a sudden people are taking issue with the writing, Bioware''s writing since Baldur's Gate has never been above standard fantasy tropes and was never really anything super special. And when you have a gay man leading the writing team for years is any really surprised they forced gay relationships? Really?

Bioware has been moving this direction for a long time, it's popular to blame and hate on Electronic Arts, but really, it's as much on Bioware themselves.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Skunk
Evil Dead

EvAv you're a riot calling EA Montreal "SJWs"

C'mon dude, they're French. Canadians. The order of things in their games is their status quo, not some movement.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #13
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post

C'mon dude, they're French. Canadians. The order of things in their games is their status quo, not some movement.
That's exactly the same thing, their views or liberal, just as Germany/Switzerland ect

SJWs are just a noisy strain of the virus.

When you have a animator that made a video that says "Why I hate men" on her website, pushed transgender characters, and have staff openly preaching racism and hate on white people, you're as close as it gets to SJW as you can be while still maintaining a job and working as a game dev.

Just like was said earlier, Marvel comics is under fire and fans aren't buying the comics because of all left liberal views being literally forced in to their entertainment, gamers are cut from related cloth.

You try to sell us something we not only don't like but quite literally use at times to escape the very thing you're trying to force us to buy and I will show you a black lives matter member who isn't racist.

You can not sell a heterosexual man with heterosexual standard family unit views material that undermines his value, ethics, hardships and dare I say morals.

People with views who oppose the existence of many of their customers are going to step on toes, it's just unavoidable.

Bad animations never stopped other games from selling well, and they weren't the only reason mass effect didn't sell in the numbers they were hoping for.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:59 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post

The funny thing is the whole ME:A SJW whining is based on one line of dialog that got patched out of the game 2 patches ago. I'm as anti liberal fuckery as they come but in this case it's simply a witch hunt.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #15
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
That's exactly the same thing, their views or liberal, just as Germany/Switzerland ect

I kinda agree with the rest of your rant, but I'll have you know that Germany and Switzerland are not remotely the same thing!
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #16
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
They won't learn a lesson because the lesson they take from failure is that the voters...ahem, customers....were too stupid to understand the importance of what they were communicating in their groundbreaking fugly game.

They're dead to me as far as my spending is concerned. Dead.
Totally agree
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #17
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The funny thing is the whole ME:A SJW whining is based on one line of dialog that got patched out of the game 2 patches ago. I'm as anti liberal fuckery as they come but in this case it's simply a witch hunt.
The game is filled with borderline SJW dialog and liberal doctrine. The trans person coming out was only the most obvious instance of it.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'll have you know that Germany and Switzerland are not remotely the same thing!
Damn right. One killed millions of Jews (among millions of others), the other just bankrolled it all while taking the dead Jews' valuables.

DIFFERENT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
The game is filled with borderline SJW dialog and liberal doctrine. The trans person coming out was only the most obvious instance of it.
The trans line was the only thing I really noticed andI eye rolled hard when I heard it. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more instances of it. None really jump out at me as being memorable though. I do think the game is getting a worse rap than it deserves in some senses though, the combat is likely the best in the entire series with not being locked into a particular class along with the combo primers and detonators and the jump jet adds some mobility to the combat itself as well.

I still don't think Bioware's writing even going back to say something like Neverwinter Nights was ever particularly wonderful either. So I don't quite get why now people are all of a sudden finding issue with it. Their writing has never been that amazing to begin with.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #20
steved
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
the combat is likely the best in the entire series with not being locked into a particular class along with the combo primers and detonators and the jump jet adds some mobility to the combat itself as well.
Unfortunately the combat gameplay is the same from start to finish. A game of this proportion, and you fight the same enemies - or reskinned ones with exactly the same skillsets - all the time.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, mass effect andromeda