8 Replies, 1,436 Views
Apex Legends – Fight or...
Last post by HillTribe
Yesterday 06:07 PM
2 Replies, 233 Views

Old 01-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Star Wars VII Home Video Release Will Have Deleted Scenes, No Extended Cut #StarWars

Entertainment Weekly has the story.

Quote:
We got the scoop on J.J. Abrams’ plan for The Force Awakens on home video.

The director told EW there will not be an extended edition of his mega-hit Star Wars sequel.

But there will be some additional footage.

“There will be deleted scenes, but not an extended version,” Abrams told us after the panel for his upcoming Hulu series 11.22.63 at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday.

We also asked what the longest cut of the film was before he edited it down to two hours and 16 minutes for theatrical release.

“I don’t know what the longest cut was,” Abrams said. “Probably, if it were with credits, close to two hours and 50 minutes was the first cut.”

So unlike the first six Star Wars films, which were relentlessly and often controversially tinkered with by creator George Lucas, it sounds like Abrams expects to stick with the original theatrical cut. The director previously described a couple of the deleted scenes to EW, including a few that were teased in the film’s trailers.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

> No Extended Cut

Not this decade anyway.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Twenty years from now Disney will release a CGI-infested version, to upgrade the visuals to be in line with what people expect at that point in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

What Lucas did was not just an extended cut, he also heavily altered non-cut scenes as well.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of adding in deleted scenes to make an extended version. Especially of movies I really like. For example, I can't watch the theatrical cut of Knights Tale any more as I am too used to the extended cut (it's much better). With today's technology, I don't understand why they don't always make a version of the film where you can toggle inclusion of the deleted scenes on and off.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

For Dune (1984), the TV version is my favorite, because it includes a couple deleted scenes you don't otherwise get to see. It's a very rare cut. I finally found a copy of that version on a torrent site; it's impossible to actually purchase afaik.

Also the extended cut of Waterworld makes a looooot more sense than the actual theatrical release.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
...With today's technology, I don't understand why they don't always make a version of the film where you can toggle inclusion of the deleted scenes on and off.
Agreed, I can't understand why music isn't released in separate tracks today that get mixed in real time, which would allow anyone to make karaoke out of it, remix it to hell and back, etc.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm not sure everything needs an extended cut, but I suspect that Disney will follow the Lord of the Rings path and release the movie uncut first, then do an extended cut later to try to con people into buying it twice.

I got smart with the Hobbit and waited for the extended cuts before buying.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

In 15 years we'll get a version where Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are 100% CGI to make her look about 20 years younger.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Agreed, I can't understand why music isn't released in separate tracks today that get mixed in real time, which would allow anyone to make karaoke out of it, remix it to hell and back, etc.
A few bands have done that. Nine Inch Nails, notably...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Twenty years from now Disney will release a CGI-infested version, to upgrade the visuals to be in line with what people expect at that point in the future.
I don't know...

I think Star Wars as pop culture moment-in-time is done with. I think this particular edition of Star Wars won't get any more attention than an individual episode out of a TV series, at this point. With a new Star Wars coming out every year, in 20 years we will have 20 new star wars films, if people don't get sick of it. If they do, and they probably will, we'll likely have about 10. I don't think any one single edition is going to stick out in any real way from the other 16.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
JAXSONmonk
Squire

I'm a fan of this. A lot of times extended cuts are just double dip attempts released at a later date. Give us the movie we should be seeing in theaters
JAXSONmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
In 15 years we'll get a version where Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are 100% CGI to make her look about 20 years younger.
In 15 years CGI will be so good that you can't tell it isn't real life any more and there will be a LOT of actors out of work as a result. People like Andy Serkis who do motion capture and voice work will be the big stars of the future.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Personally, I'm a huge fan of adding in deleted scenes to make an extended version.
Plenty of movies are ruined by re-editing them like this. Case in point is Aliens. The directors cut isn't nearly a tight as the original release. Sometimes it's just best to leave them alone. Like the original SW trilogy.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
I think Star Wars as pop culture moment-in-time is done with.
I kinda think this too. I liked "Force Unleashed" but it wasn't the watershed moment episode 4 was when it came out. Nothing like it had ever existed before. It was a revelation. Even if the story was sorta hammy. The graphics were like nothing seen before in movies.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I think Star Wars as pop culture moment-in-time is done with.
I actually agree. It wasn't the moment for my kids that Ep. IV was for me as a kid.

Then again, I'm also of the mind that Western culture is exhausted and on the verge of intellectual and moral collapse, so there's that to impact my view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
In 15 years CGI will be so good that you can't tell it isn't real life any more and there will be a LOT of actors out of work as a result. People like Andy Serkis who do motion capture and voice work will be the big stars of the future.
I agree with this but decent actors will still dominate over anything CGI because people want to see the real deal. You can argue motion capture to play a huge role in acting, like as Planet of the Apes. Andy did an amazing job there, but there was a lot of post processing and touch up work on Caesar's face, so you can't give Andy all the credit.

What's amazing to me is that movie theaters haven't really changed all that much in the last 20 years. Sure we get IMAX, bigger screens, upgraded sound systems, but for the most part the experience is pretty much the same as mid 90s or even 80s for many theaters. Sticky floors, butter stained smelly seats, people talking during the movie or chatting on their cell phone at full brightness. Where I live you can at least select your seats at the time of purchase, but many theaters in the US are first come first serve.

Why do people still go to the movies when you can buy a 60"+ flat screen TV at a reasonable price? How long will this continue before movie theaters become a thing of the past? It's not like we're going to see a live play where actors have to perform for individual crowds.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #17
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I don't think we will see live actors totally phased out. People still watch movies just because a certain actor is in them. For example, If they replaced all the actors in it, would the Furious movies still get the viewers they have had? The two without Vin Diesel were the two lowest viewed movies of the series.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
Azrael
Evil Dead

Finally got around to seeing the film. Pleasantly surprised. My mate and I both thought it was a fantastic. Held the pacing and feel of the original trilogy which was great. Look forward to seeing this again down the line
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
Sinistar
Subscriber

Wait, are you telling me that VII isn't already an extended cut of IV. With the home video release, I hope they include the Jabba scene!
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I kinda think this too. I liked "Force Unleashed" but it wasn't the watershed moment episode 4 was when it came out. Nothing like it had ever existed before. It was a revelation. Even if the story was sorta hammy. The graphics were like nothing seen before in movies.
There was absolutely no way Ep7 could have ever been the watershed moment the original film was in 1977. I don't think the creators ever intended it to be, either; there's absolutely no way you can ever recreate moments like that. It was, however, everything it needed to be.

It could never be what the original was, but it certainly upheld the legacy created by the original.

Tags
star wars, the force awakens