8 Replies, 498 Views
Nic Cage fights an...
Last post by Booda
Yesterday 11:38 PM
14 Replies, 932 Views

Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Software Pirates Worried About PC Games Becoming Too Hard to Crack #PCGames #Hackers

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
By 2018, anti-piracy measures on PC games will be so advanced that it may bring about an end to pirated games. That's according to a Chinese cracking group that goes by the name of 3DM.

3DM forum founder Bird Sister said in a blog post that efforts to crack the Denuvo anti-tempering measures for Avalanche's open-world game Just Cause 3 have so far proven unsuccessful. Though 3DM thinks the game can eventually be cracked, the group is not optimistic for the future.

"I still believe that this game can be compromised," Bird Sister said in the blog post (via TorrentFreak). "But according to current trends in the development of encryption technology, in two years time I'm afraid there will be no free games to play in the world."

As TorrentFreak explains, Denuvo is a secondary encryption system that adds to whatever form of DRM a developer/publisher may put on a game. BioWare's 2014 RPG Dragon Age Inquisition used the product, and it was able to keep pirates at bay for an entire month, which was deemed a long time.
More at Tech Amok.

Thanks, Mix-Master!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

By current methods, maybe. But never underestimate the ingenuity of man.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

But according to current trends in the development of encryption technology, in two years time I'm afraid there will be no free games to play in the world."

Oh no you mean they'll actually have to start supporting an industry they've done nothing but take from for years? Sorry if I don't feel bad!
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
But according to current trends in the development of encryption technology, in two years time I'm afraid there will be no free games to play in the world."

Oh no you mean they'll actually have to start supporting an industry they've done nothing but take from for years? Sorry if I don't feel bad!
I use piracy as a replacement for demos. Bring back demos, and Ill stop pirating.. or just stop making me cynical by pumping out shitty game after shitty game.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
I use piracy as a replacement for demos. Bring back demos, and Ill stop pirating.. or just stop making me cynical by pumping out shitty game after shitty game.
How entitled of you, because there isn't enough media out there to be able to determine if a game is good or not.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
92miata
Evil Dead

Used to pirate when I was poor. Thank god that is done. Also, with refunds and all these cheap games through STEAM, I don't think there is any reason to justify pirating games anymore.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
92miata
Evil Dead

IRONIC MOMENT: Saw a sign today in Tempe. I wish I could illegally download a Starbucks Coffee.

WOW. How about you buy that game and withdraw from Starbucks for 10 days to pay for the game at full price. Or wait for the STEAM sale and withdraw from Starbucks for 1-2 days.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Bring back demos, and Ill stop pirating.
Bullshit excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
LegendOfWayne
Banned

Seems like I've been reading articles like this one for the last 10+ years. I'm sure people will be playing pirated games 10 years from now.

With games being released in a broken state, like Battlefield 4, the latest Batman, and Just Cause 3, I'm less inclined than ever to buy a brand new game.
LegendOfWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
Used to pirate when I was poor. Thank god that is done. Also, with refunds and all these cheap games through STEAM, I don't think there is any reason to justify pirating games anymore.
This. The moment I got a good paying job it became more important to me to own them legit then to play them at all. The games I pirated I almost never beat, and almost never fully enjoyed. I was also just out of college/still in college at the time.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
The same media that hypes shitty games like Destiny?

Edit: quoted the wrong post
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #12
kefka95
Lord

There is exactly one reason why people pirate games: so that they can play them without paying for them. If you can't make a purchase decision with the available media, or if you don't like something about the way the game was published, there is one appropriate response: don't play the game.

Any of these other excuses "I'm just trying it out" or "I don't like XYZ feature/DRM, so for some reason I'm now fully entitled to steal the game and play it for free", are complete BS.
kefka95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post

Yeah, I KINDA get that. When pre-ordered games are reviewed highly and they turn out to be a piece of buggy shit, I can see it burning you.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post

There's plenty of youtube let's plays out there that aren't paid shills of developers to determine if a game is worth the 60 bucks or not. Never mind the media blitz in general and coverage of games the internet allows for. If one needs a demo to determine if a game is good or not, they're not trying very hard.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Kayden
Dread Lord

I've heard this many times over and every time, a some one finds away around it. Sure it took them a long time to do it but after that, the process got much quicker. There are more battles that have to won before I believe any of this kind of nonsense, it's like when the US said it had won the war on drugs when it was far from over and became a bigger issue after that announcement. We also need to look at the two games that are being used as a point of fact for this statement, when the fact is they are both terrible games. The facts are that neither game is selling well and people are leaving negative reviews so often that no one wants to play them, even pirates, obviously. Wait for a popular title to use this DRM and see how fast it get's cracked then, mark my words it wont take too long after it is released for a crack to appear and if it does take a long time, it just proves popularity is the driving force for games to be cracked even if the task is monumental at first.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
There's plenty of youtube let's plays out there that aren't paid shills of developers to determine if a game is worth the 60 bucks or not. Never mind the media blitz in general and coverage of games the internet allows for. If one needs a demo to determine if a game is good or not, they're not trying very hard.
like with destiny? and watch dogs and all the games where paid youtubers that you didn't know were getting paid gush about shitty games?

no dude, demos are the best way to see if YOU personally like a game. Watching someone play and gush about a shitty game won't stop you from buying games you won't like.

I personally don't pirate many games because I usually wait till they are super cheap. But saying only poor people or idiots pirate is taking the position of the media when the media cried "entitled gamers."
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #17
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
I've heard this many times over and every time, a some one finds away around it. Sure it took them a long time to do it but after that, the process got much quicker. There are more battles that have to won before I believe any of this kind of nonsense, it's like when the US said it had won the war on drugs when it was far from over and became a bigger issue after that announcement. We also need to look at the two games that are being used as a point of fact for this statement, when the fact is they are both terrible games. The facts are that neither game is selling well and people are leaving negative reviews so often that no one wants to play them, even pirates, obviously. Wait for a popular title to use this DRM and see how fast it get's cracked then, mark my words it wont take too long after it is released for a crack to appear and if it does take a long time, it just proves popularity is the driving force for games to be cracked even if the task is monumental at first.
QFT. 《---- when's the last time you saw that?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

People pirate to avoid paying for shit. You don't watch a pirated movie before going to the theater because the film might suck and the reviewers might be shills. The simple truth is that people pirate to avoid paying.

I have my own solution. I wait until paying for a game is so inexpensive it's akin to scraping money out of a couch. I feel like I've 'seen the light' on buying at launch/early. I don't buy many games at all any longer, and those I do buy are a few bucks here or there. (I will, however, pay full price for a Diablo 3 xpac! STAT!)

If you're in college or younger, I can understand piracy somewhat. If you're out of college or older, the honest answer for why people pirate is simply a refusal to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #19
Raw
Evil Dead

Bunch of newbs. Might have to get my hands dirty.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #20
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw View Post
Bunch of newbs. Might have to get my hands dirty.
Ingenuity, folks.

Tags
hackers, pc games