DOOM Eternal Delayed...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:39 AM
18 Replies, 880 Views

Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Weekend Boxoffice Chart #StarWars #TheHatefulEight

Star Wars: The Force Awakens marched confidently into the new year, raking in an additional $88.3 million over the New Year's weekend and topping the box office for the third week in a row.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of January 1st to January 3rd, 2016.
  1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens $88.3/$740.2
  2. Daddy's Home $29.0/$93.6
  3. The Hateful Eight $16.2/$29.5
  4. Sisters $12.5/$61.7
  5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip $11.8/$67.3
  6. Joy $10.4/$38.7
  7. The Big Short $9.0/$32.9
  8. Concussion $8.0/$25.3
  9. Point Break $6.8/$22.4
  10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 $4.6/$274.2
  11. The Good Dinosaur $4.0/$114.7
  12. Creed $3.9/$103.4
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

We tried to go see the IMax version [of Star Wars] Saturday afternoon at around 4:30. It was sold out, as was the next showing. I thought that the Imax was going to be the showing with the fewest people (since it costs twice as much), but it turns out it is actually the showing with the MOST people (at least at my theater it is).
Old 01-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I should have gone to see Hateful Eight on Sunday night before the end of the long weekend. I saw some people posting tweets of totally empty theaters.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Grandpappy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
We tried to go see the IMax version [of Star Wars] Saturday afternoon at around 4:30. It was sold out, as was the next showing. I thought that the Imax was going to be the showing with the fewest people (since it costs twice as much), but it turns out it is actually the showing with the MOST people (at least at my theater it is).
I had the same experience. I'd still like to see it in Imax while I can!
Grandpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
We saw it in IMAX 3D and it was great (though not truly necessary in 3D). True story: We had sixteen people in our party with prior purchased tickets but we were all able to walk into the theater, up the stairs, and into the actual show/seating without showing a single person our tickets. It was the worst run theater I've ever been at. Anyone could have walked in off of the street and entered the movie for free. They had one ground-floor employee selling tickets and food, a harried looking dude running up and down the stairs doing who-knows-what, and a second floor employee selling food.

Pretty hilarious actually. Never in my life have I been to a theater where it was so obviously easy for anyone to just walk in to the show without paying, right through the front door. Amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
actusoul
Evil Dead

I saw the roadshow edition of the hateful eight. One of the best movies I have seen in years.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I saw the roadshow edition of the hateful eight. One of the best movies I have seen in years.
I was going to post that this was one of the more disappointing flicks I've seen and wonder at the sales # but maybe my tastes have just changed. It certainly is classic Tarantino but I can't say the pacing and setup was my cup of tea. It had it's moments but didn't offer me enough juice for the 3 hour squeeze.

Star Wars on the other hand kept me in my seat the whole time. I went in with moderate expectations and fairly spoiler-free and was pleased with just about everything. I can see why it's nearing the billion mark.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Venkman
Evil Dead

I love Tarantino movies, but just thinking about sitting through 3 hours of his dialog at once is making me get antsy.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Star Wars on the other hand kept me in my seat the whole time. I went in with moderate expectations and fairly spoiler-free and was pleased with just about everything. I can see why it's nearing the billion mark.
I found it to be fun but a bit too long. When I want to check my watch in a movie, it's too long. Liked the characters for the most part but would have appreciated a faster pace. Reminded me of "Lord of the Rings" in that this felt like mostly setup for the next episode.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
I was going to post that this was one of the more disappointing flicks I've seen and wonder at the sales # but maybe my tastes have just changed. It certainly is classic Tarantino but I can't say the pacing and setup was my cup of tea. It had it's moments but didn't offer me enough juice for the 3 hour squeeze.

In another lifetime, we could never date. I HATED Star Wars Awakens and I am an avid Star Wars fan. Very disappointed in the rehash and crossing my fingers they redeem themselves in the upcoming films.

As stated before, I think the hateful eight is a GREAT film and shows what quality filmmaking is all about. We have opposite tastes.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I love Tarantino movies, but just thinking about sitting through 3 hours of his dialog at once is making me get antsy.
I love Tarantino movies and have been following the director since DAY 1. He is a true great along with Ridley Scott and Coppola. I even named one of my dogs Quentin.

You said you loved Tarantino movies... you will NOT be disappointed. Too bad you missed the roadshow. There was a 15 minute intermission and a special book that was handed out. Everyone applauded at the end of the movie.

The script is excellent and is a stark contrast to how shallow and safe hollywood scripts are these days.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Anemone
Evil Dead

H8 starting to have some trouble. Hopefully it's got a snake's tail.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Hateful Eight bombing big time compared with QT's other work. Love the sour grapes, too:

Quote:
“We’re living in a ‘Star Wars’ universe,” (Harvey Weinstein) said. “I love ‘Star Wars.’ I think it’s great. It’s not sour grapes, but if I’m writing a memo to myself, I would say ‘do not open against ‘Star Wars.’ Do not open against the biggest movie of all time.”
Sour grapes it is.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Hateful Eight bombing big time compared with QT's other work. Love the sour grapes, too:

Sour grapes it is.
Good article. Sounds like The Hateful Eight is really killing off the Weinstein Bros. Cutting back from 18 films to 8? That is a major blow. They really screwed up with their timing. A November release would have put them up against almost nothing.

I thought the film would do much better because they were making bank from the 70mm road show.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

I'm stating the following completely divorced from my intense dislike of QT, so I hope people can accept it because I believe it is the truth:

A three hour, 70mm film is an idiotic vanity project inspired by a director too self-absorbed in his own supposedly artistic vision and his view of the importance of every meaningless nuance of the history of film to realize that the damn things need to actually earn money if you ever hope to continue making more of them. Additionally, a three hour run time halves your screens; even worse, in fact, because theaters don't want to run a film that will only allow for half the showings of a 90 minute film that will pull the same average attendance per screening. Finally, 70mm for a film that takes place in large part indoors is art house asininity and a complete failure to utilize the medium for the proper project (examples being Out of Africa or Zulu, among others that might use 70mm properly).

Back to my old QT hating self: QT is a Blockbuster savant who stumbled his way into directing and splashes the screen with stylized, alt-house gore in an attempt to appear artistic. He's well overrated.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Anemone
Evil Dead

Yes, H8 is one giant indulgence by QT. Even if it fails to live up to its potential, QT will watch it at home on his 70mm screen until he's 102 years old and love every second of it. That's why he made it, for him.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
That's why he made it, for him.
That's what home movies are for; I hear they're pretty inexpensive to produce.

The guy is an idiot narcissist.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Honestly, QT earned his self-indulgent dream project, and I don't blame him one bit.

You can always downgrade the visual quality. None of us were hurt remotely by his use of 70mm. We just have a new option that most movies don't have. And when you buy your first 4kHDTV, watch H8 on it and marvel, because it will be the only movie that comes close to maximizing your rez.

As for the plot, it's not bad. Movie's a bit slow but not molasses. Couple fantastic scenes at least, more than you can say for most movies.

It does suffer from QT being too self-indulgent in a few aspects, but even those sections don't fall flat on their face, they just fail to be significantly more valuable than the time they cost.

Everyone should see H8 once.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #19
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

If you don't like or at least appreciate The Hateful Eight you need to stop watching movies altogether. It's by far the best movie on that damn list even above fucking Star Wars in regards to quality.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #20
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
I had to get tickets to see the IMAX version a week in advance.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart