39 Replies, 1,764 Views
Blair Witch Coming to...
Last post by Evil Avatar
11-20-2019 07:52 PM
2 Replies, 297 Views

Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #21
Terran
Evil Dead

The Win 10 installation is borked. I've spent the past couple of hours doing a number of repairs and workarounds, and all I'm left with is creating a new account (not going to do it) or reinstalling. I'm not reinstalling it on a messy hard drive. I'll format the drive first and then install properly and cleanly.

So...a few moments of joy, followed by disappointment once again. C'est la vie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

A quick test is to create another administration account, log in with it, and then rename your user profile from Yohann to Yohann.old. this will make Windows recreate it as a test. You can always delete the new profile and rename it back to just Yohann if you figure out the problem. That said, a fresh install is always much easier for most people.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #23
Terran
Evil Dead

Silly question, but does anyone know the process for making a recovery/backup of just Windows 10 (the OS) so that I can load Win 10 properly on my new HDD? Obviously, I don't have installation disks, as it was an online upgrade from Win 8.1, so...not sure what would be the proper steps.

Can I actually create a recovery on the new HDD, then use that to reinstall the OS and start that new HDD from scratch?

Can't wait to redownload everything. Boy oh boy, will that be fun.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #24
Rommel
International Playboy

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

That? Do you want that?
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #25
Terran
Evil Dead

I think so, thanks! Is there a way to locate my license key for Win 10, just in case of potential problems and so I don't have to pay for it?

Perhaps I located that within the link you sent.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I think so, thanks! Is there a way to locate my license key for Win 10, just in case of potential problems and so I don't have to pay for it?

Perhaps I located that within the link you sent.
Terran, if you have an MS account, then the Windows 10 license is linked to that account. I'm pretty sure I viewed mine the other day with the same thought. If you don't have an MS account register one and link it to your PC so you can "save" that copy of Windows 10 indefinitely.

I'll try to look at all that this evening when I wake up if you have further questions.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
Terran
Evil Dead

Yeah, I have it all linked and when I get home, I'll check that out and just do a fresh install of Win 10 to the new hard drive.

Really should have just done that from the start. Wasted a TON of time trying to clone the dang thing. Now, I'll just have to reinstall all of my programs on the new HDD anyways, so BAH HUMBUG!
Quote:
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #28
Terran
Evil Dead

No key if you upgraded digitally for free.

Quote:
If you bought a digital copy of Windows 10 from a Microsoft website, the product key will be in the confirmation email you received after buying it or will be distributed digitally as an entitlement, in which case you won't receive a product key. For example, if you upgraded to Windows 10 for free, you'll receive an entitlement instead of a product key.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #29
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Never in my 20+ years of working in systems has a Windows Upgrade gone smoothly. I'm not starting now.

I installed Win10 over the weekend from an Action Pack license that we hold from work. Went flawlessly.

I am sorry to hear the trouble you are having.

Here is an idea too for when you get your system figured out.

You can download a tool from Microsoft, Disk2VHD and create a VHD (virtual hard disk). You'll need the space of your existing volume to do this (a spare disk of equal or greater size... or ya know... a file server or NAS or something storage based).
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ee656415.aspx

In the disk management (diskmgmt.msc) you can choose "attach virtual hard disk".

I do this from my file server and when I realize "shit I forgot to move that important thing over to the new system"... I just mount the VHD, move what I want, and then detach. The VHD is also writeable, but you can set it to read only if you have the kind of fingers that fuck everything up. Not sure if finger fuckups apply to clicking the "read only" option. You might just blow the fucker up after reading over this thread... ')

ALSO TERRAN:

www.ninite.com is your friend when performing software installs for home use. I seriously owe this author some money and a drink for the hours he's saved me.

Good luck - sorry I haven't had time to review this thread... but the volunteer IT support team at EvilAvatar is just outstanding. Shit, I do this kind of stuff for a living, but rarely get to see the desktop side of anything anymore & they helped me out quite a bit w/ some very helpful suggestions in regards to a small upgrade to get a bit more out of the system I'm running. Thanks Rommel & BrandonJClark.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #30
Terran
Evil Dead

Multiple clones, multiple software, no joy. The closest I have come is to get the hard drive working but the Win 10 start menu/search is unresponsive. I have tried the usual online suggestions, including restarting multiple times (DUH!), reinstalling apps, trying a new user account, reinstalling Win 10. NOTHING works.

I am at my wits end with the damned machine. I want to take the entire thing and send it through a wood chipper. Now I have a nice, larger HDD that's good for a coaster and nothing more. Son of a *********************.
Quote:
Old 11-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #31
Rommel
International Playboy

You took the oddest approach I've seen to installing Windows on a new drive. Have you tried formatting the drive blank and installing the software the default way? Have you tried formatting and installing an earlier version of Windows? The approach you're taking leaves me confused, like that time that incredibly hot tall girl with the surprising large Adam's apple made out with me in a piano bar with a fondness for rainbows.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #32
Terran
Evil Dead

I think that may have been Charlie Sheen.

I'm trying to clone the drive. That's not an unusual approach is it? Seems common.

So tell me the best approach to replace.my Win10 drive with a new blank drive. I'm desperate for steps that WORK. Help!!! I want to delete the old drive and use as backup, with the new drive as my only HDD in the PC.

It's useless.
Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #33
screwyluie
Evil Dead

do what I said, install windows fresh on the new drive. pull whatever files you need from the old drive to the new one and format it.

why would you want only one drive? if you have two why not use them both? the more room the better.

and no, cloning a drive to a new drive is very odd... the idea of cloning a drive isn't but the reason you're doing it makes it pretty strange.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #34
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
...and no, cloning a drive to a new drive is very odd... the idea of cloning a drive isn't but the reason you're doing it makes it pretty strange.
I refuse to believe that buying a new, larger hard drive and then wanting to clone your old, smaller one to the new, larger one is something unusual. I've seen multiple step-by-step instructions for it. I've followed them, but I've encountered errors that no Internet methodology has helped me to cure.

Appreciate the help. I'll get it sorted eventually. I'm nothing if not persistent. It took me years to get my PhD, and the key ingredient isn't intelligence (as evidenced by my difficulties on the topic of this thread, lol) or anything complicated or distant. It's one, simple word: Persistence.*

* Or perseverance. Or doggedness. Or stubbornness. Take your pick.

I will master this damn thing if it takes me until the apocalypse to do it. And it JUST MIGHT!
Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #35
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
I refuse to believe that buying a new, larger hard drive and then wanting to clone your old, smaller one to the new, larger one is something unusual.
It's not an unusual thing under the right circumstances... but Louie has it right - the way you are going about the upgrade is a bit off.

If you were out of room on your drive and wanted to keep everything intact but still have more space on a single drive... then that is not unusual. You would clone - extend - embrace (just like a fuckin Microsoft product).

What he means is that you have a new larger BLANK drive. You want to essentially, clone your existing drive to the larger one, and then upgrade to win10. By doing this, you are adding a layer of complexity to the system due to the way MS installations choose to upgrade or detect existing versions of Windows. Why bother if you don't have to deal with it? Why not just use the blank disk & install Win10 fresh, have both your drives attached & copy what you want. You can use the other drive for game installs or whatever else you need storage for.

Upgrades and Microsoft are like oil & water. All their engineering and planning cannot account for what people do on their systems. They are ALL fucked and futile & it has NEVER been a smooth process. You may hear of folks that have had luck. Fuck them - they are trying to fool you & will be laughing behind your back the whole time. Do a fresh install & tell them you upgraded.

As you say, you'll stick to it - that's how I got into IT over 20 years ago. I have no doubt you can pull it off. That's a great way to learn too!

I sent you a PM. I'd be glad to assist you sometime over the phone in the evening.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #36
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

As Rubishfoo said, cloning has its complexities. I virtualize applications and hardware for a living, and one thing most virtualization admins forget to deal with is block alignment. Cloning a drive and extending it can have negative repercussions for your drive performance if the layer is virtualized. If it's purely physical, you should be good.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #37
Terran
Evil Dead

Okay, well this may seem a silly question, but how do I get Win 10 on my new hdd? I don't have installation disks. My new drive is connected to my PC through an external usb connected enclosure. I can't just turn off the PC and swap in the new drive. I need the OS on there and honestly I've always used disks to do that in the past.

Suggestions? :shrugs:

Perhaps a wood chipper, for my head?
Quote:
Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #38
zeonxavier
Evil Dead

http://www.intowindows.com/install-w...rom-usb-drive/
zeonxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #39
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Okay, well this may seem a silly question, but how do I get Win 10 on my new hdd? I don't have installation disks. My new drive is connected to my PC through an external usb connected enclosure. I can't just turn off the PC and swap in the new drive. I need the OS on there and honestly I've always used disks to do that in the past.

Suggestions? :shrugs:

Perhaps a wood chipper, for my head?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
Old 11-19-2015, 08:01 AM   #40
Terran
Evil Dead

Created the boot disk, put in the new HDD, and voila...FAIL! Several attempts, searching for a missing 'driver.'

Seriously, this is like some lame Benny Hill skit without the sexy girls. I can hear the music as I'm failboating. It's like I'm the black knight, and it's 'just a flesh wound,' lol.

I'll try again this weekend. Next time I want a HDD upgrade, perhaps I'll just buy a new damned PC.
Quote:

Tags
retard tech support, user error