Post something good you...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 04:24 AM
83 Replies, 24,946 Views

Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah, I know. My monitors have both an HDMI and DVI channel, but I do notice a quality difference between the two if I use DVI for one and HDMI for the second. It could simply be a cable shielding issue, or drivers on my current video card (right now I'm using an old Radeon HD 6570), but I notice colors are brighter on the DVI connection. It's just an expensive bet that it's a shielding issue when I've switched the cables around and observed the switch in quality on my displays (eliminates the monitors being the source of the problem).
HDMI and DVI use the exact same signal, so any problems have to be within the monitor themselves. "Shielding" is a non issue as the signal is digital.
Quote:
...Because HDMI is electrically compatible with the CEA-861 signals used by digital visual interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

I'm rocking 3 monitors on my AMD 7870, one DVI, one HDMI, and one Displayport to HDMI. I can move the cords around as I please and get the exact same picture quality off all of them. Only difference being slight differences in my monitor configuration.

Don't worry about buying a $100 cooler, just get a cooler master hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099
or a Xigmatek SD1283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233082

and you'll be fine. Cooling performance between both of em is nearly identical, its just a matter of which is one sale at the particular moment. I also think the Xigmatek is a bit easier to install.

For videocard vendors i tend to rely more upon the actual strength of the cooler compared to stock, I like big open coolers that lower noise. So either the Asus or Gigabyte would be good choices. EVGA's cooler looks decent as well.

What I'm curious about is why you want to go with a 750ti? 128-bit memory bus is fucking weak.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Your suggestion? Clearly from someone who does not know how to 'puter.
Yeah haven't had my coffee yet. One nice benefit of lazy sundays.

Been keeping a close eye on this case for a sale. Love the layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Rommel
International Playboy

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6854/r...or-competition

Quote:
There are really a couple of flies in the ointment here. First, unless you need the form factors the Blackhawk Ultra supports (or you really want to be able to roll your case around), the case is essentially beaten on two fronts. You can get basically the same case, but cheaper and in some ways better, by buying Rosewill's own Thor v2 for $40-$50 less (ignoring frequent discounts from sales.) At the same price point, the Blackhawk Ultra is hanging out in the same neighborhood as NZXT's Phantom 630, and outside of a couple of degrees of raw thermal performance, the 630 is in most ways a superior case. Even with its fans turned all the way up, it's measurably quieter than Rosewill's case.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
Ravijn
Evil Dead

I love the SATA dock on top of the case.
Ravijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Azrael
Evil Dead

Personally a fan of ASUS myself, had 2 gigabyte cards and both got toasted due to poor coolers.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #26
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Don't worry about buying a $100 cooler, just get a cooler master hyper 212
or a Xigmatek SD1283

and you'll be fine. Cooling performance between both of em is nearly identical, its just a matter of which is one sale at the particular moment. I also think the Xigmatek is a bit easier to install.
I prefer spending a bit on a water cooled heatsink since those huge cheaper heat sinks eat up a shit load of space which sucks. Also are sharp and make getting around in the PC more difficult once they are in unless you have a hefty size case.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I prefer spending a bit on a water cooled heatsink since those huge cheaper heat sinks eat up a shit load of space which sucks. Also are sharp and make getting around in the PC more difficult once they are in unless you have a hefty size case.
I've been taking a closer look lately at the closed system water coolers. A lot of progress has been made in terms of quality in the last five years. My next build will have one no doubt.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
What else are you going to do with the space though? A huge open hole in the PC case is exactly where a gigantic cooler should go, its not like it would be in the way of anything else in 99% of case designs. The only thing that a big air cooler could get the way of would be a case fan and the ram. If you're going to change out a CPU often, then yeah, its probably not worth it. However i don't know anyone who changes out CPUs compulsively.

Also, compared to some other coolers, the two i mentioned are pretty cheap. I just don't feel that water coolers are worth it unless you're extremely heavily overclocking. The cheaper water coolers (while they have improved greatly) don't perform quieter or better than comparatively priced air coolers, and considering the efficiency of most modern processors, the modestly priced air coolers are all you need.

I have a crazy power hungry 140 watt CPU running at a 25% overclock with an SD1283. It's 23 idle and hits 45c load, all while being completely whisper silent. Good cooling is surprisingly cheap these days and I feel that all the closed water units are purely to make up profit margins because air cooling has gotten so cheap. Heatpipes, they're pretty fantastic.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #29
Mr. Lake
Developer

Just finished building my new little monster today. Purrs like a kitten. I ended up getting an EVGA GTX 750 Ti SuperClocked 2GB card, got my dual monitors set up (one straight DVI and the other straight HDMI) and as I suspected, the HDMI was washed out. The blacks weren't black, and the colors were dim. So I went and got an HDMI-to-DVI cable and sure enough, that fixed the problem. I think at this point I have to give Syl credit and blame the monitors, because only certain color/temp/brightness options are available with DVI versus HDMI.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #30
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lake View Post
I think at this point I have to give Syl credit and blame the monitors, because only certain color/temp/brightness options are available with DVI versus HDMI.
Now THAT is interesting. I thought the answer was going to be that the colors needed calibrating with something like this thing. Mind you, I never cared about this, I am not an artist despite the 8 pantone books that sit on my desk in the U.S. It sounds like the monitors were not built to handle HDMI well, at all.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #31
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
What else are you going to do with the space though? A huge open hole in the PC case is exactly where a gigantic cooler should go, its not like it would be in the way of anything else in 99% of case designs. The only thing that a big air cooler could get the way of would be a case fan and the ram. If you're going to change out a CPU often, then yeah, its probably not worth it. However i don't know anyone who changes out CPUs compulsively.

Also, compared to some other coolers, the two i mentioned are pretty cheap. I just don't feel that water coolers are worth it unless you're extremely heavily overclocking. The cheaper water coolers (while they have improved greatly) don't perform quieter or better than comparatively priced air coolers, and considering the efficiency of most modern processors, the modestly priced air coolers are all you need.

I have a crazy power hungry 140 watt CPU running at a 25% overclock with an SD1283. It's 23 idle and hits 45c load, all while being completely whisper silent. Good cooling is surprisingly cheap these days and I feel that all the closed water units are purely to make up profit margins because air cooling has gotten so cheap. Heatpipes, they're pretty fantastic.
Well my water cooler has lights on it that change based on the temp of the CPU...and it looks cool.

Also, better air flow, and looks cleaner. The less cluttered and open the case is the better I feel. The only thing in there putting out any real heat from the front of the case to the back are the two GPUs. Aesthetics aesthetics aesthetics.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Now THAT is interesting. I thought the answer was going to be that the colors needed calibrating with something like this thing. Mind you, I never cared about this, I am not an artist despite the 8 pantone books that sit on my desk in the U.S. It sounds like the monitors were not built to handle HDMI well, at all.
Yeah, i also thought the situation was going to involve monitor calibration, not anything involving differing color options for different inputs. That is really, really weird.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #33
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
Yeah, i also thought the situation was going to involve monitor calibration, not anything involving differing color options for different inputs. That is really, really weird.
Yeah, there are multiple bits of weird to it, like the fact that the monitors have "HDMI" stickers and emblems all over it like you can't plug anything else into it. Another thing is that despite being option-limited on the DVI connection, all the options in the world for the HDMI input can't equal the image quality. So... yeah. If you're curious and want to check out the weirdness for yourself the monitor is an ASUS VW246H - It's still a really nice monitor, but DVI is going to give you the best picture quality apparently.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #34
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

So I've been considering buying a 770 (Rommel, you suggested an EVGA I think?) but at this point is it worth it to wait for the 8xx and plow that $350 into like an 860 Ti GTX?

It seems like it's been a bit since nvidia released a flagship line and I don't want to be caught a generation behind if I can just wait a little while longer.

What's the word on the street about the 8xx?

I'd rather not go with ATI, they fucked me on drivers a few years ago when their Catalyst took a shit and even as far back as my Mach32 when they didn't release drivers for Win95 (yes, I'm still bitter).
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
So I've been considering buying a 770 (Rommel, you suggested an EVGA I think?) but at this point is it worth it to wait for the 8xx and plow that $350 into like an 860 Ti GTX?

It seems like it's been a bit since nvidia released a flagship line and I don't want to be caught a generation behind if I can just wait a little while longer.

What's the word on the street about the 8xx?

I'd rather not go with ATI, they fucked me on drivers a few years ago when their Catalyst took a shit and even as far back as my Mach32 when they didn't release drivers for Win95 (yes, I'm still bitter).
I use an EVGA card. There is very, very little difference in the high-quality vendor 770s: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7392/t...msi-compared/8. Get the brand that's cheapest or a reference unit if you have a small enclosure that needs a blower.

As for the next generation: They just released the 800M series and the first Maxwell-based unit, so this year is the time frame for the GTX 800 series. Other than that, I know of no information and a Googling-ding didn't help. I would guess the Nvidia next card is the 790, with two 780s on a single PCB, but that was allegedly supposed to launch two weeks ago.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #36
Syl
Evil Dead

Vallor, you can always, always, 100% of the time, wait for a better videocard.
The AMD R9 3xx series are also rumored to be coming out this year.

The question is do you think the wait (and paying a premium for something at launch) is worth it?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #37
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Vallor, you can always, always, 100% of the time, wait for a better videocard.
The AMD R9 3xx series are also rumored to be coming out this year.

The question is do you think the wait (and paying a premium for something at launch) is worth it?
That's a good point, thanks guys. 770 it is!

Last edited by vallor; 03-20-2014 at 05:51 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #38
Syl
Evil Dead

Not sure if you bought it yet, but it's a good choice.
This came out today.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7888/b...rds-march-2014
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #39
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
This came out today.
Well it is about time the Titan: Black hit the grid. It's irrelevant for gamers, better for "Prosumers" who want the GK110's calculation abilities for scientific work but I am glad it finally launched. Also, it includes a copy of the $9.99 title Daylight! Wait ... why are they using a $9.99 game for a bundle to show off customers brand new toys?

I disagree with a lot of what that article states, though. It seems to live in a bubble where one or two examples (Out of Stock) of the R9-series below their currently inflated street price shows the units back at their MSRP. News flash AnandTech: The R9-290X was advertised to retail for $550, not $650. Equally disturbing, the 780 Ti is available at that price in greater frequency and is a superior product. While some of their ultimate conclusions are correct, their premise and methodology is in question.

This issue of misinterpreting the AMD market is endemic with the article. How does AnandTech recommend the R7 265 for $150-200 when they aren't in stock at your linked page? You may as well recommend users hire a Bigfoot for manual labor around the home. Why would anyone crossfire R9290X units for $1200 when the power consumption is obscene and the cooling is poor on reference cards? You could use the very well-received MSI Lightning version of the card in crossfire, each for a $100 premium. Hey, you could also get the same performance from SLI 780s each providing a $100 deduction. That would also confer a lower power bill, better thermals and GSync / Shadowplay support.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #40
Mr. Lake
Developer

Quote:
This came out today.
Still really enjoying my EVGA 750 Ti Superclocked. Probably the best deal I've ever got from a budget card.