91 Replies, 4,284 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Booda
Yesterday 08:21 AM
6 Replies, 261 Views

Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
shadow763
Lord of Woe

TCPView is super helpful to see all active connections on windows.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...=msdn.10).aspx
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

p.s. -- If the program's not phoning home to a known malware server, for ex., if part of a distributed bot net, the port (number after the colon) might be more useful when trying to determine the culprit. There are tools that report what programs (by executable name) are transmitting (at least, I have to assume there are). Maybe Wireshark does that. Been a while since I had to use any tools in this dept.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post

Cool. Figured something like that existed. :-)
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:

Oh wow. This is awesome. Thanks.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
Yeah it has been used to download torrents, but during these ping spikes I went to check the computer and utorrent wasn't running. In fact nobody was even using the PC.

I forgot to mention another thing, sometimes a message on there will pop up saying something like "Windows has detected an IP conflict, another device on this network has the same IP". But when I check my router every connected device has its own unique IP.
I'd take off whatever you need and format that sob. We ran all sorts of malware scans on his laptop but it showed the same problem until given a clean format.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Difficult to tell without knowing your network. Have you tried ipconfig release/renew?
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #27
Rommel
International Playboy

Is the computer set up to use some proxy or VPN that is routing him through a gateway across the world?

I know nothing about IP Tech and really shouldn't comment in this thread. I'll now go back to tapping on my Springfield and complaining that phones do not have a discrete graphics card.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had an idea what could be causing a problem I'm having. Beginning about a week ago I have been noticing weird ping spikes (like 50-500) in online games. At first I thought it was a router problem so I tried plugging my PC's ethernet cable directly into the modem. That brought speeds back to normal.
Why is your gaming PC running off of wireless anyhow? Wired is the way to go. You wouldn't be having this issue since it is full duplex.

Since it seems to be isolated to your wireless, that makes more sense it being a half duplex technology. Exactly why the one PC appears to be spamming data is hard to say, but the latency makes sense since the packets are having to be resent if the "line" is busy. This gives you that awesome latency.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Why is your gaming PC running off of wireless anyhow? Wired is the way to go. You wouldn't be having this issue since it is full duplex.

Since it seems to be isolated to your wireless, that makes more sense it being a half duplex technology. Exactly why the one PC appears to be spamming data is hard to say, but the latency makes sense since the packets are having to be resent if the "line" is busy. This gives you that awesome latency.
My gaming PC is wired, the problem PC is using wireless but still has issues when I tested it wired.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
bean19
Butt Stallion

Have you considered backing up any data (Word, music, video, photos, etc.) and formatting it? I only have one PC, so I do this about every six months just to keep things running well.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
My gaming PC is wired, the problem PC is using wireless but still has issues when I tested it wired.
So the upstream is being taxed? Could also explain the variances in your ping but why your downloads are still solid. You see this just normally if you do large backups.

Definitely worrisome if you are not using that box for anything like you said. The old backup/reformat is probably the safest way to go. At this point either some sort of torrent thing is going on or your box is being used for possible malicious means.

Did you run TCPView at all and see where connections are pointing to from that box? Or Wireshark? If your box is compromised, the other machines on your LAN could be at risk as well.

Did you run Malwarebytes etc?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #32
randir14
Subscriber

I ran Malwarebytes and AVG Antivirus which didn't find anything. I was going to use another program that someone posted earlier, but I decided instead to just reformat. The person who owns the computer ordered a 64gb flash drive today so they can back up their stuff, after that I am reinstalling Windows on their PC. And yeah I used Wireshark but I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary. I ran it from my PC though so I don't know if that makes a difference, I figured it would show everything happening on the entire network. Maybe later tonight I will go on their PC and run TCPView.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #33
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Wire shark like TCPView works to show the traffic between devices. So capturing on the problem PC will give you superior results. You will see broadcast traffic on the LAN in your captures but will miss out on the IP traffic that machine is sending out to someone else on the Internet. But it would be good to see if that machine is talking to yours suspiciously or if your PC is doing some things it shouldn't.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #34
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
I ran Malwarebytes and AVG Antivirus which didn't find anything. I was going to use another program that someone posted earlier, but I decided instead to just reformat. The person who owns the computer ordered a 64gb flash drive today so they can back up their stuff, after that I am reinstalling Windows on their PC. And yeah I used Wireshark but I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary. I ran it from my PC though so I don't know if that makes a difference, I figured it would show everything happening on the entire network. Maybe later tonight I will go on their PC and run TCPView.
If the problem is truly a virus, are you worried it has infected the other machines on the network you plugged it into?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #35
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If the problem is truly a virus, are you worried it has infected the other machines on the network you plugged it into?
I had thought of that, but the problem only occurs when that one computer is active. If it's turned off or has its internet unplugged the problem disappears.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #36
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
I had thought of that, but the problem only occurs when that one computer is active. If it's turned off or has its internet unplugged the problem disappears.
With the little (Read: Zero) IT knowledge I have, it really sounds like something is screwed up with the IP and proxies on that machine. That is usually (I guess ahdunno) a chore to reset manually, all those little numbers entered a dozen different places, so a windows reformat will likely fix the problem. They'll fix you, they fix everything /robocop.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
randir14
Subscriber

Problem fixed, reinstalling Windows on the infected PC did it.