Liberals gone wild
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 10:36 PM
4,834 Replies, 1,054,915 Views

Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

SSD questions

I was thinking of buying a 128gb Samsung 830, but I had some questions.

1) Do I need to reinstall Windows or will it work immediately after plugging it in? I ask this because I have an Asus motherboard and I saw someone on Tom's Hardware say that Asus boards require a Windows reinstall for new hard drives.

2) If a Windows reinstall is NOT required, can I just drag games from my current HDD to the SSD? Or do I need to install Windows and the games on the SSD?
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

a: Depends more on your bios than the motherboard, but older boards do have issues. I made sure I bought a SSD friendly board for that very reason (I heard sabertooths had issues so I went with ASRock. Couldn't be happier)

b: Just make sure you only put things on your SSD that are very CPU/calculation intensive so you get the most use out of yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Syl
Evil Dead

If your motherboard requires you to reinstall windows to detect a new harddrive, you have a shitty fucking motherboard and a shitty fucking copy of windows. Whoever told you that is probably naive.

You can, in theory, drag the game to the SSD. The only problem is generally going to be with the registry. If your games are on STEAM, you should really use something like SteamTool to move games one by one and very safely.

Some games without steam tool might transfer fine, some may give you issues, reinstalling them should solve any problems.

You have no reason to install Windows on your SSD if you don't want too, but honestly, 99% of the reason to have an SSD is to have your windows boot drive on the SSD, so you WILL want to move your primary partition and windows to the SSD so you can see the most benefits of the hardware upgrade.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

Thanks, I'll probably just install Windows and the games on the SSD. I only have 72 gb used on my current HDD so space shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
I was thinking of buying a 128gb Samsung 830, but I had some questions.

1) Do I need to reinstall Windows or will it work immediately after plugging it in? I ask this because I have an Asus motherboard and I saw someone on Tom's Hardware say that Asus boards require a Windows reinstall for new hard drives.

2) If a Windows reinstall is NOT required, can I just drag games from my current HDD to the SSD? Or do I need to install Windows and the games on the SSD?
I just bought the 256gb version and am looking forward to reinstalling everything. Even if it is a days job.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have two SSD drives, but the biggest problem I ran into is that Windows is a bloated hog of a piece of software and even with almost nothing installed I still almost ran out of space on my C: drive.

Microsoft stuff is complete crap. Thank god I can ignore Windows 8 because of that horrific touch-screen based interface.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
I just bought the 256gb version and am looking forward to reinstalling everything. Even if it is a days job.
You have an SSD.

I don't think you understand just how much of an improvement it is.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
You have an SSD.

I don't think you understand just how much of an improvement it is.
Still have to download the Windows updates and then sort out my steam library on my traditional HDD. Like you say it will be quicker I just have no idea how much.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Syl
Evil Dead

It took me 15 minutes to install vanilla windows 7 and every single windows update. 10 minutes of that was simply downloading the updates.

As for steam, I have so many steam games that I keep them on my separate HD, i then use SteamTool (linked above) to transfer games to my SSD whenever i'm playing them oftenly, then I move them back to my STEAM HD for everything else.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
It took me 15 minutes to install vanilla windows 7 and every single windows update. 10 minutes of that was simply downloading the updates.

As for steam, I have so many steam games that I keep them on my separate HD, i then use SteamTool (linked above) to transfer games to my SSD whenever i'm playing them oftenly, then I move them back to my STEAM HD for everything else.
Nice, but don't be offended if I don't believe you. It sounds truly impossible.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

I think you're almost crazy to buy anything except an Intel SSD these days. Sandforce is where it's at. Buy at least 250gb. Those gigs go fast these days.

Both my regular HDDs need to be RMA's, so I'm living purely on my SSD, so with windows and all programs reinstalled I have... 54gigs left.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Syl
Evil Dead

I have a 128 gig SSD and 6 terabytes of other harddrives. works well for me. (I did buy my SSD over a year ago, it was over 2x the price they are now)
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
Meusli
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I think you're almost crazy to buy anything except an Intel SSD these days. Sandforce is where it's at. Buy at least 250gb. Those gigs go fast these days.

Both my regular HDDs need to be RMA's, so I'm living purely on my SSD, so with windows and all programs reinstalled I have... 54gigs left.
I got the one that Rock, Paper, Shotgun recommended, by all accounts the are very reliable.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Technidon
Evil Dead

This is quite funny due to me just getting a SSD last weekend.

1. Intel is WAY overpriced... there are some companies that are offering a excellent sweet spot and they are OCZ Samsung Corsair and Kingston... I prefer OCZ due to their deal with sandforce.

2. The trick that evil did not notice (and I did not until today) is to remove the index option from the windows folders and its subfolders this will remove the excess 35gbs of bloat that windows has inherently built into it to "run" faster (this is huge if you have a SSD smaller than 90Gbs). You will not need it due to the architecture of the SSD.

3. NEVER I repeat NEVER defrag your SSD... and also remove the superfetch option from windows and also DO NOT allow for it to use page file on the SSD.. It will lower the life of the SSD over all.

Well this is what I have found... Oh and just to let you know I have windows vista x64 ultimate... and it was a royal pain to get it streamlined but once I have it here... I boot in no more than 25 seconds... yes that is 25 and I only have 3gbs SATA mobo... thats awesome!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
randir14
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technidon View Post
This is quite funny due to me just getting a SSD last weekend.

1. Intel is WAY overpriced... there are some companies that are offering a excellent sweet spot and they are OCZ Samsung Corsair and Kingston... I prefer OCZ due to their deal with sandforce.
I was looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 since it's only $90 for 120gb on Newegg, what is Sandforce?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
I was looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 since it's only $90 for 120gb on Newegg, what is Sandforce?

Just bought into that product. Make sure you have the latest Intel Chipset. You'll hit nearly 500mb/s on that fucker, no shit.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Guide on optimizing Win7 for an SSD:

http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/for...dows-7-tweaks/
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
Meusli
Subscriber

Quick question to those in the know. I have disabled indexing with the program included on the disk but now my music/video libraries(win7 64bit) are showing as unresponsive. Do I leave this as it is or can I turn indexing on, on my old HDD?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Quick question to those in the know. I have disabled indexing with the program included on the disk but now my music/video libraries(win7 64bit) are showing as unresponsive. Do I leave this as it is or can I turn indexing on, on my old HDD?
I'd love to provide an answer but I don't keep music on this computer so it's never been an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Technidon
Evil Dead

Quote:
yes... sadly the SSD search times are do stupid fast that the OS is waiting too long on the HDD... so you will need to keep it on with that and also put the page file on that drive as well.