7 Replies, 444 Views
See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,485 Views

Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
Syl
Evil Dead

Good choices. Let me know how it runs, i'm going to be outrageously jealous.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
Saudade
Evil Dead

Will do, and thanks to you and others it helped a ton in the decision. Especially on the PSU. I am so looking forward to finally owning a modular psu.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

hehe yeah the modular PSU is sort of a luxury item. When you start getting into higher wattages, you start getting more and more cables hanging out of the thing. So being able to control it more is just nice. It makes for an easier install, as you can do it without any wires getting in the way. It also helps with cable management, as you can run fewer cables, and route them individually one at a time after all your hardware is in. Just take your time and think it through, and experiment a little.

As far as Intel's SSD's, they're supposedly the bee's knees, but the prices are still up there, and the jump to a "Good" SATA III SSD will be impressive enough for now. The prices are finally starting to come down on SSD's in general, a lot can be had for around a dollar per GB, where as 2 months ago even if was usually 50% higher or more.

Future-proofing computers are close to impossible for he average person. And even if you had gobs of money the tech moves so fast, it'd still be hard. The best you can do is get a killer combo and try to stretch it as long as possible, and hopefully your setup will allow for some great upgrades to stretch it even further. Keep us posted with the progress. And pictures if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presage View Post
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
montemuscle1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Saudade
Evil Dead

Does anyone know if you can return a monitor to Newegg or Amazon and get a full refund if you just don't like it? I never checked if either of them have a no questions asked return policy,
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
Syl
Evil Dead

I'm pretty sure at the very least you have to pay a restocking fee. I've never had to worry about it.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #46
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I'm pretty sure at the very least you have to pay a restocking fee. I've never had to worry about it.
So you have returned items before that worked fine but you just didn't like? I am thinking I may end up doing this if one of the monitors turns out to be crappy, not broke, just crappy.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
So you have returned items before that worked fine but you just didn't like? I am thinking I may end up doing this if one of the monitors turns out to be crappy, not broke, just crappy.
Oh, i've never returned items that were working fine, but i've had to pay a restocking fee on defective items.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #48
Saudade
Evil Dead

System finally showed up. Everything put together and had 1 stick of DOA ram. Sweet. Also ran into another problem I am not knowledgable in, I bought 3 drives: SSD128, SSD256, 1Tb 7200. I installed win7 onto the 128SSD but my other 2 drives do not show up in windows explorer. They are there and are listed in Device Manager and in the BIOS. What do I do to get windows to allow me to use them for whatever? I found one post where someone mentioned going in to computer management and 'initializing' the drives? Well I did but nothing happened. Even assigned a Drive letter to the other SSD256 and it only assigned a letter to that drive under 'System Reserved' of 100gigs. Ugh. I am lost on this one. I do not get an option to assign any letter to the sata 1Tb 7200.

Aside from those problems, the system is very nice. Haven't had a chance to try a game yet. The Corsair 600T casing I picked up is very good. So quiet and the LED lighting is actually really cool, it isn't too bright and very nice shade of metallic blue.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
Syl
Evil Dead

Yeah, windows 7 is weird about drives. Do this:
Start button: Type "Computer management" then go to "Disk Management" There you can partition, name, and assign drive letters for all your drives. This has always worked for me, and i've installed a good 20+ drives under windows 7.

Make sure you format the drive with a partition the size of the entire drive. If you're using SSDs also make sure you downloading whatever the firmware/software for that SSD is as soon as possible. This will enable TRIM.

I have no fucking clue why microsoft makes something as important as activating a drive such a damn pain.

Make sure you have administrative rights and that good stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #50
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

I ran into a similar problem as you Saudade. I just added a regular HDD about a year back. Do what Syl mentioned. Thats what I did, haven't had any issues since. But as Syl said, it's a moronic move on MS's part and stupid as hell.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #51
montemuscle1970
Evil Dead

Thirded. I had to do the same crap, after installing win7 on the boot SSD, on the second SSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presage View Post
I'd like to go see PETA throw blood all over some native American's for wearing animal fur.
montemuscle1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #52
Saudade
Evil Dead

OK thanks! I was able to get Win7 to show the drives but now I cannot format the 2nd SSD drive because it is listed as 'System Reserved'. It also has my drives in this order:
Disk 0: System Reserved 256SSD (System,Active, Primary Partition)
Disk 1: C: drive 128SSD (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
Disk 2: New Volume F: drive 1Tb 7200 (Primary Partition)

I read I have to use Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command to be able to format Disk 0. If I do this will I mess anything up? Or will I be ok to just leave the SSD alone and install programs and dump files onto it?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
Syl
Evil Dead

Go into settings and disable backup. That's what system reserved means, its somewhere setup to be a backup drive to your original SSD. You can format disk 0 as long as its not the System, but since it IS the System disk. For some reason thats where it thinks your windows 7 is installed.

I'm not sure what you did, but i suggest you just format all of them and reinstall windows on whatever SSD you wanted. Installing Win7 on an SSD is probably quicker and easier than anything else you may have to do. Stick some install files from programs you want onto a flash drive or something if you really want to speed up the re installation.

For example, my disks read:
Disk 0: Black (G: ) Primary partition (My STEAM drive)
Disk 1: Speedy (C: ) System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition (OS drive, SSD)
Disk 2,3 and 4 (D:, E:, F: ) all only saw "primary partition" because they're all only used for media storage.

So you want your System, Active, Page file, Boot, and Crash Dump all on the same SSD.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #54
Saudade
Evil Dead

I can tell you exactly what I did and it makes complete sense as to why everything turned out so messed up. I installed all hardware first. All drives hooked up without paying attention to the order I have them plugged in. When I put in Win7 to install windows it immediately brought up the SSD256 drive by default. I then changed it to the SSD128 to be the boot drive and installed Win7 on to it.

Is there anyway to bypass having to reinstall windows, format ssd256 and then have the boot disk repair itself? Or is that wishful thinking
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #55
Syl
Evil Dead

You could attempt to reinstall windows on the drive you want as a repair, copy over everything from the other drive. Then go through a rather lengthy setup involving telling windows not to use anything on the other drive its currently assigned too. Go through the bios and make sure you set the boot drive to the one with windows on it. Something of that sort.

I'd just copy the entire harddrive over to one you don't want as your boot drive, reformat your boot drive, reinstall windows, then copy the previous windows install OVER the new, fresh windows install. Shouldn't take that long, i know on my machine it only takes about 10 minutes to completely reinstall windows 7, so on yours it should be even quicker.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #56
Saudade
Evil Dead

Ok I will try that. If all fails, it won't be too bad since I have hardly anything on these drives yet.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #57
Saudade
Evil Dead

Ok back. Everything should be the way it is supposed to be now.
Reformatted and installed windows 7 to ssd 128. Lists everything.
Was able to format 'System Reserved' ssd 256. it only lists Active, Primary Partition now.
And the 7200 1Tb is listed as just Primary Partition.

"I'm too old for this shit."
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
Syl
Evil Dead

There ya go. That sounds about right. You can remove the "active" from the secondary SSD if you'd like through a slightly obtuse method, but i honestly don't believe it would hurt anything if its still there.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #59
Saudade
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
There ya go. That sounds about right. You can remove the "active" from the secondary SSD if you'd like through a slightly obtuse method, but i honestly don't believe it would hurt anything if its still there.
Thanks again for all the SSD/HDD help. Saved me a shit-ton of headaches.

If the 'active' would/could cause trouble than I most likely will want to. Will removing later when I have programs/files on the drive harm anything?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #60
Syl
Evil Dead

I just removed it from my steam drive earlier this week, where it has probably been since i installed my current OS on this computer almost a year ago. I never noticed it causing any issues before, haven't came across any issues since i turned it off. I just think it means that it turns on when the computer does at boot or something. Which, for an SSD, is even less of an issue.

Tags
halp im a rock!, hot nerd talk