9 Replies, 806 Views
The Analogue Pocket...
Last post by RAV
Today 12:27 AM
9 Replies, 448 Views

Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
IGXGamingTV
Gamer. Streamer. Patriot.

Memorial Day 2019 - What are Your Plans?

As we gather together as a nation to honor and remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice during peacetime or wartime military activities, donít forget to take a moment to reflect on the ones that did not make it home. Read more ...
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
IGXGamingTV

I was blessed and lucky enough to serve during peacetime and left the Air Force after my time unscathed. There are others that weren’t so fortunate. I thank God for this great nation and pray for the families that have an extra burdened heart on this day.

As for my plans, I plan on just hanging out with the family, BarBQing, and watching the Red Sox beat up on Cleveland, hopefully. It's what they would want us to do.

I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day and I leave you with the Memorial Day speech from President Reagan on May 31, 1982.

God bless America!

Image Source: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...not-forgotten/
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

My daughter played at a service in the local park here (high school band).
Old 05-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Walked my dog to the local parade and was amazed by the turnout. Last year I moved to a tiny rural farming town famous for its annual fair (100th coming up), so except for one week of the year the place is like a quiet time capsule frozen in the 18th century. When it was all over and the thousands of people filed out there wasn't a shred of trash left behind. If anything the green was cleaner than before the parade. I do not miss the city at all.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGXGamingTV View Post
I was blessed and lucky enough to serve during peacetime and left the Air Force after my time unscathed. There are others that weren’t so fortunate. I thank God for this great nation and pray for the families that have an extra burdened heart on this day.

As for my plans, I plan on just hanging out with the family, BarBQing, and watching the Red Sox beat up on Cleveland, hopefully. It's what they would want us to do.

I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day and I leave you with the Memorial Day speech from President Reagan on May 31, 1982.

God bless America!

Image Source: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...not-forgotten/

One of the owners of a company I used to work at and for whom I've always had the utmost respect for said today in a FB post, "A reminder please that Memorial Day is about those who died, not those who spent two years stapling papers at Fort Dix. The sacrifice is diminished by people yammering, "Thank you for your service." That would be better saved for those with a CIB or CAR, and the attendant memories.".

It totally blew me away....such a stupid thing to say as if someone's honor is somehow attached to if they served during wartime or in combat. So hey bro...Thank you for your service.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Yeah, it seems pretty ignorant to only appreciate folks who've served in actual combat, considering it's not as if soldiers decide whether or not to deploy, whether or not to start a war, whether or not to get shot at, etc., etc..

To those still serving, the wounded, the dead, the retired veterans, and to all their families, thank you for your service and sacrifice. A grateful nation remembers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
One of the owners of a company I used to work at and for whom I've always had the utmost respect for said today in a FB post, "A reminder please that Memorial Day is about those who died, not those who spent two years stapling papers at Fort Dix. The sacrifice is diminished by people yammering, "Thank you for your service." That would be better saved for those with a CIB or CAR, and the attendant memories.".

It totally blew me away....such a stupid thing to say as if someone's honor is somehow attached to if they served during wartime or in combat. So hey bro...Thank you for your service.
I get what your saying about CIB and CAR. But I also understand his point. I spent 3 years in the Army as a Combat Engineer. I spent most of my time in Frankfurt, Germany. Basically doing PMCS and partying. I don't really feel like anyone should be thanking me for that.

Besides today's not the day for that. Veteran's Day is set aside for thanking vets that are still living.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
IGXGamingTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
You are welcome! Take care!

Tim
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
DingBat
Evil Dead

I just returned a week ago from Normandy after a visit to Juno Beach to tour the Canadian battlefields. As part of that we visited the Canadian cemetery at Beny-sur-mer. You walk among the tombstones for a while and then it hits you that 60-70% of the graves are for kids 20, 19, or even 18 years old. Our kids carry so much of the load in times of war.

Definitely a sobering experience.

Excuse me for posting this on an American holiday, but it seemed appropriate.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
I just returned a week ago from Normandy after a visit to Juno Beach to tour the Canadian battlefields. As part of that we visited the Canadian cemetery at Beny-sur-mer. You walk among the tombstones for a while and then it hits you that 60-70% of the graves are for kids 20, 19, or even 18 years old. Our kids carry so much of the load in times of war.

Definitely a sobering experience.

Excuse me for posting this on an American holiday, but it seemed appropriate.
You aren't too far away. June 6th is right around the corner.

I served at the tail end of Desert Storm but I was around to see some of what happened on the ground in Bosnia/Serbia which wasn't even an American conflict. As someone who would help bring in supplies and leave with cargo planes full of women and children refugees to relocation to "safe zones", and they wouldn't even let any male in a uniform touch them much less look me in the eye, seems the killing sometimes isn't even the worst of it.

War and making war and all the trappings is part of the human condition, only people who haven't see it believe in the fantasy of peaceful coexistence. We are not evolved enough for that and may never get that far.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I was lucky enough not to lose any friends to combat over the course of my two deployments in Iraq (Ramadi and Husaybah/Al Qa'Im respectively). SAF, mortar and rocket strikes, IED's... all of us came home.

Unfortunately, the real war is at home. I lost more friends to suicide than actual combat. To everyone out there, just remember that everyone has struggles. Be active in your loved one's lives, let them know you care. You never know when their time on this mortal plain ends, and then you'll regret not spending more time with them, or, at the very least, telling them you love them.

Don't take anyone for granted.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Besides today's not the day for that. Veteran's Day is set aside for thanking vets that are still living.
That's actually a fair point and one that I hadn't thought of. Still though, I appreciate anyone who's given their time to serve. But fair point nonetheless. Thanks.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote