Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Today 04:32 PM
4,747 Replies, 1,034,757 Views
Blizzard suspends...
Last post by Sir_Smokes_Alot
Today 03:23 PM
90 Replies, 3,755 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 03:21 PM
13 Replies, 402 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 01:50 PM
20 Replies, 743 Views
Official Trailer:...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 01:46 PM
7 Replies, 453 Views
Post something good you...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 06:18 AM
80 Replies, 23,793 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 04:04 PM
18,690 Replies, 3,714,402 Views
Outer Wilds - Launch...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Yesterday 01:43 PM
8 Replies, 911 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon
 
sai tyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: all over
Posts: 8,859
Blog Entries: 81
Pure Evil - Hateful Eight Misses the Mark #HatefulEight



I caught a showing of the Hateful Eight last night. Thoughts after the break.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon
 
sai tyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: all over
Posts: 8,859
Blog Entries: 81
I ended up seeing the Hateful Eight with the missus last night, and man, was I disappointed. It's not that the movie's bad per se. Rather, Hateful Eight's biggest shortcoming is that it's simply too long. The movie opens with a shot of a cross in a field. And then we spend what felt like fifteen minutes slowly panning away from said cross as the names scroll by. There's a fine line between being artistic and annoying, and unfortunately for the Hateful Eight, most of the shots and scenes fall into the latter category.There's a fair amount of character backstory laid out, but for the most part, not a whole lot of development. I'm fine with that, but in a three-hour movie, I'd expect some growth among the protagonists. Instead, Tarantino seems to focus on the dialogue, which ranges from fantastic to annoying. The lulls (and there are plenty) are punctuated by moments of intense violence. But unlike previous Tarantino films, the violence seems to be there more for shock value rather than have any meaning. Typical Tarantino films set the stage with the dialogue and provide characterization, which allows you to care for the people on-screen. When things go to hell, you're desperately hoping your hero makes it through. Not so in the Hateful Eight. Most of the characters are bad people (as the title implies). What results is a film that was hard for me to watch because there wasn't anyone I was really rooting for.

In the end, I found the movie to be a bore, with a lot of time wasted. It should have been a leaner film, and certainly would have benefited from it. Do yourself a favor and skip this one. It's not worth your time.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
There's a fine line between being artistic and annoying, and unfortunately for the Hateful Eight, most of the shots and scenes fall into the latter category.
LOL. That's QT. As I said in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
A three hour, 70mm film is an idiotic vanity project inspired by a director too self-absorbed in his own supposedly artistic vision and his view of the importance of every meaningless nuance of the history of film to realize that the damn things need to actually earn money if you ever hope to continue making more of them. Additionally, a three hour run time halves your screens; even worse, in fact, because theaters don't want to run a film that will only allow for half the showings of a 90 minute film that will pull the same average attendance per screening. Finally, 70mm for a film that takes place in large part indoors is art house asininity and a complete failure to utilize the medium for the proper project (examples being Out of Africa or Zulu, among others that might use 70mm properly).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon
 
sai tyrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: all over
Posts: 8,859
Blog Entries: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
LOL. That's QT. As I said in another thread:
Yup. I like most of his flicks. The biggest complaint I heard/read was that the movie was too long. I was pretty disappointed. But it's all good. Going to see the Revenant in a week or two. I've got high hopes for that one.
__________________
Steam: sai tyrus

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
PsychoticVile
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 793
I agree not his best film. Just curious did you see the 70mm extended road show version or the theatrical release? I saw the road show version with all those long shots and assumed he would cut them out or shorten them for the theatrical release.
PsychoticVile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
WileE.Coyte
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
Yup. I like most of his flicks. The biggest complaint I heard/read was that the movie was too long. I was pretty disappointed. But it's all good. Going to see the Revenant in a week or two. I've got high hopes for that one.
Would it have been better for a home release? I'll have to wait for it to come out on video then then I can take a break watch it in two parts.
WileE.Coyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Primus
Valar Morghulis
 
Primus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairfax Ruins
Posts: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticVile View Post
I agree not his best film. Just curious did you see the 70mm extended road show version or the theatrical release? I saw the road show version with all those long shots and assumed he would cut them out or shorten them for the theatrical release.
I saw both versions, they just take away the overture and intermission and frame the shots in the different resolution. I felt the Roadshow was just a gimmick.

I did like the movie but its very long and certainly not his best work.
__________________
XBL: Primus DCE

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Engh. As someone who doesn't care for Tarantino, I feel like every criticism about this film could be leveraged at nearly all of his films. the difference is some people just didn't care for this one.

Self involved? Vanity project? Obsessed with film history concepts just for the sake of it? Isn't that every single one of his films?

I respect him, I usually just explain it as me saying "What tarintino thinks is cool, I just don't think is cool". It's just a difference of opinion. I understand how other people would be into it though. I've heard a lot of ringing praise for Hateful 8.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
MasterKwan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,109
I like his early work. When he was younger and hungry. He later stuff has been mostly crap.

I think he peaked at "Kill Bill 1" and it's been down hill ever since. I think his editors are afraid to edit and just tell him "yes" all the time.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
seruko
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Engh. As someone who doesn't care for Tarantino, I feel like every criticism about this film could be leveraged at nearly all of his films. the difference is some people just didn't care for this one.

Self involved? Vanity project? Obsessed with film history concepts just for the sake of it? Isn't that every single one of his films?

I respect him, I usually just explain it as me saying "What tarintino thinks is cool, I just don't think is cool". It's just a difference of opinion. I understand how other people would be into it though. I've heard a lot of ringing praise for Hateful 8.
There are quite a few theatrical elements that are frankly bad. The interior shots are boring and static, many people compare it to a one room play. Usually qt has great cinematography. The dialogue is pretty boring, except for a couple of places. Usually qt has great dialogue. The film skills back in time, but only because one of the scenes is stupid and makes no sens, it esentially has a jump.scare. Qt often goes back and forth in time, but the scenes stand alone on their own, not so in 8.
seruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred
 
Suicidal ShiZuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Right on the Beach
Posts: 10,155
Blog Entries: 1
I loved this movie for the exact reasons you didn't. If you can't form your own characterization based upon extended lines of dialogue and their actions then i don't really know what to say. When you consider its theme, setting and timeline you don't really need any more information about the characters only what they have in common... Much like real life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seruko View Post
There are quite a few theatrical elements that are frankly bad. The interior shots are boring and static, many people compare it to a one room play. Usually qt has great cinematography. The dialogue is pretty boring, except for a couple of places. Usually qt has great dialogue. The film skills back in time, but only because one of the scenes is stupid and makes no sens, it esentially has a jump.scare. Qt often goes back and forth in time, but the scenes stand alone on their own, not so in 8.
So you're one of those people blind to great set, prop and costume design?
__________________
"This game raped my wife, slaughtered my son and left me for dead."
Suicidal ShiZuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
actusoul
Evil Dead
 
actusoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 915
As stated before, I loved the film and didn't find it boring at all. To each his own but like Suicidal I enjoyed for the reasons you didn't. My favorite Tarantino movie is Jackie Brown which many think its his worst.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #13
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead
 
Inkabodcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I like his early work. When he was younger and hungry. He later stuff has been mostly crap.

I think he peaked at "Kill Bill 1" and it's been down hill ever since. I think his editors are afraid to edit and just tell him "yes" all the time.
Inglorious Basterds is one of his best films, which came out after Kill Bill.

I thought H8 was great. I was glued to the screen the whole time. I'm kind of glad I didn't see the road show, because the intermission would've been annoying to me.

An older lady, perhaps 55-60 year old Asian lady with a thick accent sat next to me, and immediately told me how this was her second time watching it, that she had already seen the 70mm version and was excited to see it again. I thought that was pretty cool, that this movie can reach such a wide and diverse audience. My theater was also packed to capacity.

I'll have to see it again (and again) before I can really determine where it ranks in QT's filmography, but I can already say that I liked it better than Django, Kill Bill 1 & 2, and probably Death Proof.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 49,889
Blog Entries: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticVile View Post
I agree not his best film. Just curious did you see the 70mm extended road show version or the theatrical release? I saw the road show version with all those long shots and assumed he would cut them out or shorten them for the theatrical release.
I hadn't considered that. That would be an interesting move for him. Hard to imagine though, double the editing work.
__________________
Choose your government: the majority ruling the minority, the minority ruling the majority, or everyone ruling themselves long as they do not initiate force, fraud, or theft against one another.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #15
Schling Fo
Soul Reaper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 223
You guys might need some Ritalin.
Schling Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #16
karellan
Squire
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Every time someone says they didn't like this movie, someone else bitches about that person's attention span. Such bullshit. Ever consider that we just didn't think it was very good?

My problem with the movie lies mostly with the ultimate identity of everyone, so if you don't want spoiled, don't read the rest of this post.

Again, spoilers ahead. Beware.

If almost everyone had actually ended up being who they said they were, with like just one conspirator, it would have been a much more interesting movie. Instead, at the halfway point, when things are finally starting to get interesting, most of the characters are revealed to be nameless gang members. I mean, if Tim Roth was actually a hangman, or if Michael Madsen really was just a random cowboy wandering through, they would have been much more interesting characters and made much more of an impact on the story. Instead, all the potential hinted at in the beginning is dropped and they're all reduced to "Henchman #3."

After sitting through that tedious first half, the last thing QT should have done is kill all interest in the characters who are still alive.

The other thing that killed the movie for me was that there was practically no tension, which was not what I was expecting at all. For example, the one piece of action in the first half of the movie was the general getting shot, but there wasn't any suspense to that scene. The characters literally tell you what's going to happen, and then it slowly plays out between the two ex soldiers while the other characters literally remind you multiple times from the sidelines what's going to happen. And then boom, it happens, and you're like, "Yep, that's what they all said was gonna happen."

Tarantino's dialog is usually pretty good, but the characters keep repeating themselves or foreshadowing what's coming up again and again, sucking all the tension out of every scene. The only surprise in the whole movie is Channing Tatum's sneak attack from the basement, but that's because it was a cheap jump scare with no setup whatsoever.

Throw in the fact that none of the characters are relatable or likable and a random flashback that doesn't tell us a single thing that we didn't already know, and the movie is just a slog to get through. You could easily cut like an hour out of the movie and not only not hurt it, but probably improve it immeasurably.

I was actually pretty stunned by how much I didn't like this movie, and it had nothing to do with a lack of action.
karellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,232
I think QT is good at making individual scenes at times but I've never once enjoyed one of his movies beginning to end and it has nothing to do with action or any lack of it. I mostly find his characters unlikable, his dialogue somewhat annoying, and his reason for writing many of his scenes seems to be "just because it's cool." The trailer makes it look like a great movie but I just know that there's a 90% chance I'll hate it.

But, like Jazz, I don't begrudge people their opinions. I realize that many people love QT's films and that the above points are just my own opinions.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I realize that many people love QT's films and that the above points are just my own opinions.
Sorry, but this kind of culturally relativistic nonsense is just that, nonsense. I'm not talking specifically in terms of QT, mind you, but in terms of art that merits praise. Not all art is praiseworthy or merits representation in the canon of timeless treasures. If someone tosses shit on a canvas, I'm going to tell them the truth, and the truth is that it isn't 'an amazing example of deconstructing the socio-religious framework of contemporary and historical Western Judeo-Christian hegemony,' it's SHIT ON CANVAS and that's all it is.

If you like something that's shit, that doesn't shine it up to be a golden turd. It's still shit. A director that uses 70mm for a movie taking place mainly indoors is a moron, for example. It's navel-gazing, self-absorbed idiocy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #19
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Sorry, but this kind of culturally relativistic nonsense is just that, nonsense. I'm not talking specifically in terms of QT, mind you, but in terms of art that merits praise. Not all art is praiseworthy or merits representation in the canon of timeless treasures. If someone tosses shit on a canvas, I'm going to tell them the truth, and the truth is that it isn't 'an amazing example of deconstructing the socio-religious framework of contemporary and historical Western Judeo-Christian hegemony,' it's SHIT ON CANVAS and that's all it is.

If you like something that's shit, that doesn't shine it up to be a golden turd. It's still shit. A director that uses 70mm for a movie taking place mainly indoors is a moron, for example. It's navel-gazing, self-absorbed idiocy.
I never said that QT's stuff was praiseworthy. But I don't begrudge people for enjoying it for their own reasons. I think there's a big difference.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,343
Blog Entries: 20
I liked it. I feel about Hateful Eight about the way I do about Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I think that after the movie ended that I found it an easy film to be critical about, but while I was watching it I enjoyed the heck out of it, mostly because Samuel L. Jackson & Kurt Russell are such fun to watch in westerns and Tarantino certainly knows how to trade on their talent.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hateful eight, pure evil

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 PM.