Today 12:27 AM
9 Replies, 442 Views

Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

#WhoLetsPlay - Protecting Game Videos

Gamasutra: #WhoLetsPlay - Protecting Game Videos

Quote:
I'm trying to organize a movement to respond to the recent unpleasantness with YouTube cracking down on Let's Play videos and other game-related content.

Several months ago during the last youtube kerfluffle, I started this reddit thread crowdsourcing a whitelist of "Let's Play" friendly game developers. That eventually turned into this wiki, which chugged along for a while. Then, the latest Youtube crackdown hit, and the list started getting some real momentum, ultimately hitting big sites like polygon. We also got some help from youtuber's like Boogie2988 and were retweeted by NorthernLion and TotalBiscuit.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain what this is all about and what we're trying to do.

The #WhoLetsPlay list

The "Let's Play"-friendly developers Wiki" was designed to gather information about where developers stand on monetized Let's Play videos.

The wiki is NOT an authority in and of itself, just a handy directory that:

Makes it easy to find permission statements
Encourages developers to make their permission status publicly known
Encourages developers to upgrade their permission from tweets to written official statements on their sites
The list serves as a shield against fraudulent Content-ID matches, because you can easily find out if a developer has actually given official permission.

The wiki is getting a bit difficult to maintain on wikia, so I will eventually migrate it to our new site, www.wholetsplay.com. Hopefully it will be much prettier by then.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I don't understand how ANYbody could be of the opinion that Let's Plays should be protected and especially not monetized. It makes absolutely no sense.

I'm all FOR it, since I hate "cinematic" games, and I think this will force developers to make games that people want to PLAY again, instead of making games that just look "cool", but I don't see how anyone who legitimately likes these games could argue for the existence of Let's Play content.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I should comment that Let's Plays are clearly fine if the developers are cool with it.

But, the developers who are cool with it are usually developers who have games that are actually games and not really "cinematic experiences". Those are the people who are against let's play content because it gives away the singular reason to play their games.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
randir14
Subscriber

In many cases it isn't even the developers claiming the videos, but rather random companies. For instance early on a bunch of people had Capcom-related videos claimed, but Capcom came out and said they weren't the ones who did it.

I've even seen instances of people having their video flagged because it included music...music that they themselves created.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
In many cases it isn't even the developers claiming the videos, but rather random companies. For instance early on a bunch of people had Capcom-related videos claimed, but Capcom came out and said they weren't the ones who did it.

I've even seen instances of people having their video flagged because it included music...music that they themselves created.

It happens to music related stuff all the time on youtube. Just go ask the LRRG(Living Room Rock God) community there. People doing covers of popular songs get their videos banned all the time. Even when they aren't making money on YT.