Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
Another question...

So my power supply is here.

And I'm thinking about this card.

Under "system requirements" found under the Details tab, it says the following:

"550-watt power supply with a minimum of 38 amps on the +12 volt rail"

What the hell is the bit about the rail? I'm assuming I meet the requirement based on my power source. Do I look for a specific output on the power source that says 12 volts? Anyhoo, just wondering.

My current video card specs can be found here. I figure it's as simple as swapping it out, but I wanted to make sure with people who know what the hell they're doing. lol. Thanks!
As long as you have a modern power supply you're good. You aren't going to have to worry too much about those specifics unless you do SLI or Crossfire. You can look at the PSU itself to see that information listed in most cases, and some PSUs have a little chart printed right on the side with all of that.

And you are good on swapping those video cards, just make sure you get rid of all of the old drivers before you remove the old one.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #42
Anenome
Autarchist

Sai, that power supply says it has 4 x 12v rails (see 'details' page). A "rail" means a dedicated power line coming out of the box to w/e you need to power. One of these you'll need to plug right into the top of the graphics card. It's super easy. If you were running SLI (2 cards) you'd need two rails. You have four, so you're fine.

Also, invest in some plastic pull-ties so you can arrange and secure all the cords in your system as you build it.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #43
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Thanks guys. Yeah, I saw what you mentioned Anenome, just wanted to make sure I was looking at it correctly/not being a dumbass. lol.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #44
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Guess I'll just post here. What do you all think of this build?

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0)

Corsair Professional Series HX1050 1050W

i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card - 2560MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Corsair Force Series GT 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD

Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb 64mb cache

Corsair H80 cpu cooler
I may jack (some) of your build in the near future and by near future I mean December. What OS are you gonna use?
Just 8 gigs?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #45
Anenome
Autarchist

In retrospect, I'd go 16 gig. But I'm a power-user. I hate being memory constrained.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #46
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Two more questions:

1. When installing a new video card, do I delete the old drivers before removing the old card? Or do I delete them before updating the drivers on the new one after it's been physically installed?

2. My motherboard is here. It says I can use DDR3 1333 RAM, Can I use DDR3 1600? And what's up with the timing? An example is here. It says the timing is 9-9-9-24. What the hell does that mean? lol.

Thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #47
Anenome
Autarchist

1. Uninstall the old drivers before installing new card. You want a fresh install with the new one, and the mobo will just default to its initial video mode until you install the new drivers.

2. 9-9-9-24 timing is standard fare these days for memory. Basically the timing is the clock timing, or how many clock cycles the memory needs to do basic operations. You can get big improvements in performance by using lower clock speeds with memory that's rated for it, but it's obviously more expensive.

But, if you go some, let's say, 7-8-7-24 memory, and it was ddr3 1333, it could perform as fast as ddr3 at 1600 or higher.

So, buying better timed-rating memory simply improves memory performance, but you're going to have to play with the settings on the mobo if it doesn't automatically detect better timings (which even mine didn't). If you have the standard 9-9-9-24 timing, there's no need to fiddle with settings.

So, it's a power-feature for someone trying to squeeze even more performance out of a system. My memory is 7-8-7-24, and ddr3 1600, but because of the timing is equivalent in speed to ddr3 2000.

Just make damn sure your mobo is capable of running the memory at the faster timing! I had to go to my maker's website and make sure it could take those timings with the manufacturer I bought from. That was probably the most research-heavy thing I had to do when buying my parts. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #48
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Cool. Thank you!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #49
Jambe
Soul Reaper

A 1050W PSU is about 50% overkill for the listed build. If you're spending that kinda cash anyway, you might as well step up to a Gold certified unit from Corsair, or better yet one from Corsair's high-end OEM Seasonic.

Seasonic's X750 is $160. The X-series PSUs are especially nice in that their fans only spin when they need to; at idle up through around 50% load (depending on ambient temperatures) they just don't generate enough heat to warrant the fan spinning. Silence!

Plus, you'd then have $60 to put towards a nicer case or more RAM or some spiffy peripherals or fans or whatever.

By all means, spend the money. It's not my money! But you could spend it more wisely on different components of the build and get more use out of it.