10 Replies, 691 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 11:51 PM
4 Replies, 247 Views

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Super Smash Bros. is the Fastest-Selling Wii U Game Ever in the U.S.

Nintendo sends along a press release announcing that Super Smash Bros. is the fastest-selling Wii U game ever in the U.S..

Quote:
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- If you were going to diagram an equation for a record-breaking software launch, it would probably look something like this:

Popular Franchise (more than 14 million Super Smash Bros. games sold in the U.S. alone)
+
Demand (it has been six years since the last Super Smash Bros. console game, plus the new game benefits from heightened awareness for the franchise coming on the heels of the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game)
+
Critical Acclaim (current Metacritic score of 93, making it the highest-rated original game of this generation, tied with last year’s Super Mario 3D World game)
+
Strong Reaction from Fans (current user score of 9.2 on Metacritic, becoming the eighth Wii U game to have a Metacritic score of 85 or higher AND a user score of 8.5 or higher)
=
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is now the fastest-selling Wii U title ever in the U.S. market (dethroning Mario Kart 8), with more than 490,000 physical and digital units combined sold during the three-day period of Nov. 21 through Nov. 23.

“The Nintendo holiday is off to a great start, but there’s a lot of work left to do and a few more surprises in store for our fans,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “With great deals coming on Black Friday and Cyber Monday and great content like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker launching next week, Nintendo will offer shoppers the best combination of fun and value this holiday season.”

*All numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures and are specific to the United States only.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
AlienDev
Banned

Nice to see the Big N have some solid sales
AlienDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
LikeTheRazor
Evil Dead

Game is great, they deserve it.
LikeTheRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Anemone
Evil Dead

That's not really saying much though, is it.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

This game finally prompted me to buy a Wii U and it is great ^_^
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Primus
Valar Morghulis

This series gets ridiculous mileage from my friends and I. The big thing with this is the online is actually doable this time around. Picked up the WiiU and the game on release.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
MrWheeler460
Evil Dead

I picked up a Wii U over the weekend and it is a great product in my opinion. System plus 2 games for $299 is a smoking deal and it's a blast to play with the family/friends.
MrWheeler460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

I was gonna say no shit but no shit. Wii U=Smash machine. Come on Metroid title!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Best Buy has a Black Friday promo going for $50 off this bundle, making it $360. Super Mario 3D World Deluxe bundle with Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Super Smash Bros.

You'll still need some extra controllers though, of course. Think only the gamepad is included in the bundle. Nintendo Land needs wii-motes, but the others can use the outstanding pro controller.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

360 bucks for 4 games ain't bad.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Glad to see them finally hit a home run. Sadly I won't touch genre with a ten foot pole. Give me a new metroid or Zelda please. Ideally tin the classic perspective, not the 3d junk.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
360 bucks for 4 games ain't bad.
Are you kidding? That's terrible! I can get over 100 PC games, GOOD ones, for that price, not just four.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Are you kidding? That's terrible! I can get over 100 PC games, GOOD ones, for that price, not just four.
I usually error on the side of PC, but this is 4 games AND the console for $360. Likewise they are four excellent games. It is a damn good deal.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Best Buy has a Black Friday promo going for $50 off this bundle, making it $360. Super Mario 3D World Deluxe bundle with Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Super Smash Bros.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #15
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah and your PC was free also I guess?
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I usually error on the side of PC, but this is 4 games AND the console for $360. Likewise they are four excellent games. It is a damn good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
Yeah and your PC was free also I guess?
This is not a PC v. console argument (at least not from my perspective), so there's no need to get defensive, my reactionary fellow forum-goers. I could get that many console games for the same price (used, however). Console games get very cheap as they get older too.

The point is that calling it a good deal just shows how out of whack many of us have become regarding software pricing. Frankly, I think paying that much for games that crater in price, even with hardware, is absolutely freaking insane. It's like flushing money down the toilet bowl.

Then again, I flush money down that same bowl every month on WoW (not sure how much longer, though...), That's pretty much the only cost I have for gaming any more. Other than WoW/WoD/RoS ($240 for the year, total, so that sure does add up and has me ready to pull the trigger to drop WoW), I've spent $60 this year on gaming (19 separate games). I'm jumping on board the F2P train in a big way.

The same 'great at launch' games are usually even better later, after they've been patched to work right, come down in price, and include later $DLC at little to no extra charge.

So, I'm not advocating for the PC. I'm advocating for patience, to pressure for lower pricing on the part of producers.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkarim View Post
Glad to see them finally hit a home run. Sadly I won't touch genre with a ten foot pole. Give me a new metroid or Zelda please. Ideally tin the classic perspective, not the 3d junk.
I'd be all for a "classic" exploratory side scrolling Metroid. Though, Nintendo has something new up their sleeve for Zelda, which I'm entirely excited about.

They're making an "Open World" Zelda game. Rather then having a semi-large map with specific "areas" you can explore, and following a set path, they're taking an open world, exploration emphasis approach. Saw some footage of it, and it looks quite awesome.

With "Open World" Zelda coming, Smash Bros, some already released awesomeness, and games like Star Fox, I think the value is there to get a Wii-U, and it's a good time to do so.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is not a PC v. console argument (at least not from my perspective), so there's no need to get defensive, my reactionary fellow forum-goers. I could get that many console games for the same price (used, however). Console games get very cheap as they get older too.

The point is that calling it a good deal just shows how out of whack many of us have become regarding software pricing. Frankly, I think paying that much for games that crater in price, even with hardware, is absolutely freaking insane. It's like flushing money down the toilet bowl.

Then again, I flush money down that same bowl every month on WoW (not sure how much longer, though...), That's pretty much the only cost I have for gaming any more. Other than WoW/WoD/RoS ($240 for the year, total, so that sure does add up and has me ready to pull the trigger to drop WoW), I've spent $60 this year on gaming (19 separate games). I'm jumping on board the F2P train in a big way.

The same 'great at launch' games are usually even better later, after they've been patched to work right, come down in price, and include later $DLC at little to no extra charge.

So, I'm not advocating for the PC. I'm advocating for patience, to pressure for lower pricing on the part of producers.
...The deal works out to be $15 a game, including a game that was released literally 5 days ago for $60.

The PC equivalent of this is one of the videocard bundles. You spend $300 on the card and get 3-4 new games for free, with the Wii U bundle (that sold out) you spend $300 on the console and get 3-4 games for dirt cheap.

Likewise, these are nintendo games. Smash Brothers is going to cost $60 for YEARS. I think it'll hit the "bargain bin" sometime in 2018, maybe.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Likewise, these are nintendo games. Smash Brothers is going to cost $60 for YEARS.
That's a good point. Some DS games I've been watching out for have never really budged.

Bottom line is still not cheap enough for me, however, weighed against all the other games I currently own and could play instead without paying any more money.

Value. It's subjective!
Quote:
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's a good point.
Holy shit. Somebody mark the day!