8 Replies, 453 Views
Nic Cage fights an...
Last post by Booda
Yesterday 11:38 PM
14 Replies, 894 Views

Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #21
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Yeah. As much as I like my PS4 aswell its lacking software but all consoles do they first year. Looking forward to Mario Kart 8
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
Rico Penguin
Death Knight

Beats me. I don't see any real reason to go to E3 as a publisher. Most of what is said there is just to appeal to investors (it feels like).

I'll be buying a PS4 next month but the console that has consistently worked out for me lately has been the WiiU.

As for them being "last" this generation I'm not so sure. They aren't doing stellar but they also aren't announcing that they'll stop production of their console just so people can actually sell some first.

Sony will likely be the "winner" if such a thing exists and Nintendo will be Nintendo. I don't believe they are really a part of that dog and pony show and I hope they never try to be.

For the most part all that comes out of that is more anti-consumer nonsense as they try to fund the beating of dead horses.
Rico Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

E3 is a giant circle jerk of ego and immaturity Nintendo is smart to avoid it.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Just being at E3 is about the most expensive thing core publishers do all year.
What are you basing this on? Renting booth space, constructing and staffing a booth costs about $50K. Maybe $100K for ridiculously large ones. That's a fraction of the price of a single commercial in prime-time and E3 coverage through free media is larger than a single prime-time commercial. A press conference means renting a stage for a few days, production equipment, and staff. That's maybe $10-30K.

How much do you imagine these things cost?

They didn't show up because they know they can't win and showing their aged products directly next to their competitors will always cause them to be shown up. What they are choosing to do instead is target their press releases for down-times throughout the year to get a ton of coverage. When they released Mario Kart 8 info, I paid attention because it was in the middle of March and news was sparse. If they showed that during E3, I would MAYBE watch it and even if I did, I wouldn't have gotten excited about it because it would look like shit compared to the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect or whatever truly AAA next-gen game players are interested in.

So Nintendo is being smart, but it has nothing to do with E3 being expensive.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
E3 is a giant circle jerk of ego and immaturity Nintendo is smart to avoid it.
er...

Or it's just a trade show?

I love E3. I think spectacle is something that is quickly growing to be a lost art, as bottom lines become more and more important.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
When they released Mario Kart 8 info, I paid attention because it was in the middle of March and news was sparse. If they showed that during E3, I would MAYBE watch it and even if I did, I wouldn't have gotten excited about it because it would look like shit compared to the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect or whatever truly AAA next-gen game players are interested in.
For what it's worth, Mario Kart Wii holds the Guinness record for best selling racing game of all time: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ng-video-game/ -- Think its passed 35 million units sold. No doubt some system bundles in there, but I don't recall a system bundle being available when the game was released. Hard to look up now. Mario Kart 8 will be moving systems off shelves inside or outside of the console box regardless.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect will be popular, but won't really be system sellers on account of their multiplatform nature. I'd prefer EA to tackle this like Nintendo is too, regardless of how exciting those games might be to some. I'm not really expecting an impressive first party showing from Sony or MS either; if third party games are all anyone's interested in, why should any of the three show up?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #27
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
What are you basing this on?
Did you miss the part where E3 is one giant commercial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
For what it's worth, Mario Kart Wii holds the Guinness record for best selling racing game of all time: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ng-video-game/ -- Think its passed 35 million units sold. No doubt some system bundles in there, but I don't recall a system bundle being available when the game was released. Hard to look up now. Mario Kart 8 will be moving systems off shelves inside or outside of the console box regardless.
With how many iterations on console and handhelds? There are single games that have sold 35 million copies.

I'm not saying you're wrong that it is a powerful IP though. I think it will help Wii-U sales, though not like a great Zelda or Metroid title would. My point is that Nintendo is smart to release information about their games when there isn't competition for attention because people are more interested in other titles and Nintendo's games get far less attention when there are bigger, better game around.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #29
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
With how many iterations on console and handhelds? There are single games that have sold 35 million copies.
Not quite sure I follow, the number I was referring to is specifically for the Wii version--"Mario Kart Wii"--as indicated. Mario Kart DS also broke the 30 million number, and pretty sure Mario Kart 3DS was nearing the 20 million mark. A lot of that is no doubt from system bundling, but whatever moves a system off the shelf works.

Don't think a Zelda title has ever broke 10 million units sold (even in system bundles), but I could be wrong. Metroid is significantly less of a seller than Zelda is. The last few Mario Kart games even beat the last few core Mario games in sales-- Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2's combined sales didn't match Mario Kart Wii. Think the only way they could match them might be with a core Pokemon game on console, but I don't see that happening.

I'm not all that excited for Mario Kart 8 myself, but there's a fairly solid chance it'll be Nintendo's highest selling game for this generation. Poor sales would really be a great sign of the console's lack of success though.

Tags
failboat, nintendo