Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 10:36 PM
4,834 Replies, 1,054,915 Views

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #16561
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I might normally fire off some angry reply to this but your posts are too damn entertaining for me to get angry in the first place.
I really try to come across as stern but tongue in cheek. I like everyone here.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:17 AM   #16562
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I've yet to be in a zoo where they kept a perfectly healthy bald eagle that could be released into the wild. I'm betting it can't fly.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #16563
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I've yet to be in a zoo where they kept a perfectly healthy bald eagle that could be released into the wild. I'm betting it can't fly.
Context has never stopped Anenome before.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #16564
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Big birds of prey that are healthy and can fly are sometimes kept in captivity. Mostly for entertainment/educational purposes, but the mongols supposedly still hunt using their local eagles.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #16565
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Context has never stopped Anenome before.
Actually if the eagle cannot fly that would only further serve the analogy of America as now a broken and caged eagle, without its freedom.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #16566
Anemone
Evil Dead

Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #16567
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Actually if the eagle cannot fly that would only further serve the analogy of America as now a broken and caged eagle, without its freedom.
The analogy breaks down when you realize that if you release the eagle, it will surely die and needs the cage more than it needs freedom.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #16568
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
The analogy breaks down when you realize that if you release the eagle, it will surely die and needs the cage more than it needs freedom.
Sure, all analogies break down at some point; they are generally used to highlight an aspect, not a whole. If I say, "He's like a rock," I obviously don't mean that he has a rough alumino-silicate material for a body.

We also don't know if the eagle is unable to fly with the eagle in the photo, that's an assumption. It cannot be derived from the photo evidence given, thus the standard idea of the eagle, as symbol for America, remains without qualification. You'd have much more of a point we could derive that fact from the photo.

But at this point, you're just being pedantic, since all of this was obvious from the beginning.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #16569
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Sure, all analogies break down at some point; they are generally used to highlight an aspect, not a whole. If I say, "He's like a rock," I obviously don't mean that he has a rough alumino-silicate material for a body.

We also don't know if the eagle is unable to fly with the eagle in the photo, that's an assumption. It cannot be derived from the photo evidence given, thus the standard idea of the eagle, as symbol for America, remains without qualification. You'd have much more of a point we could derive that fact from the photo.

But at this point, you're just being pedantic, since all of this was obvious from the beginning.
Not really... Your original point was playing at being thoughtful but was really just stupid.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #16570
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Your original point was playing at being thoughtful but was really just stupid.
Firstly, not my title, not my image.

Secondly, you think the statement that America as largely lost its freedom is "really just stupid"?

Be serious. I don't think you're that dumb.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #16571
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
you think the statement that America has largely lost its freedom is "really just stupid"?
That's a stupid statement that only people who've never experienced life outside of their own limited little box (never beyond our shores), or those with piles of tin foil on their head, believe.

Privacy is another issue. Businesses and government have pried deeply into that. People have willingly allowed it. But that's not freedom.

The statement "America has largely lost its freedom" is stupid. I apologize if that stigmatizes you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #16572
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
That's a stupid statement that only people who've never experienced life outside of their own limited little box (never beyond our shores), or those with piles of tin foil on their head, believe.

Privacy is another issue. Businesses and government have pried deeply into that. People have willingly allowed it. But that's not freedom.

The statement "America has largely lost its freedom" is stupid. I apologize if that stigmatizes you.
Wow, you're dumb. Moving on.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #16573
Anenome
Autarchist

Old 06-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #16574
Anenome
Autarchist

This is incredible

I would love to see someone try to recreate the battle of Cannae with this.

Last edited by Anenome; 06-18-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #16575
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Wow, you're dumb. Moving on.
LOL@headinabucketsheepster!

Quote:
Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #16576
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
I would love to see someone try to recreate the battle of Cannae with this.
What exactly does a battle between crossbow men and giants have to do with the battle of Cannae?...If you want to play that battle, it is included in the historical battles in Rome 2....You know, the game actually set in the correct period with the correct units, rather than a fantasy game that features medieval and fantasy units...
Old 06-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #16577
Anenome
Autarchist

Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #16578
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
What exactly does a battle between crossbow men and giants have to do with the battle of Cannae?...
Nothing, I'm talking about the ability to setup a battle and play it out as he did. One of the difficulties of the history of ancient battles is trying to imagine many tens of thousand men fighting, what that looks like, what that many dead looks like. Canna had what, 30k+ Carthaginian warriors (made up of various groups I know), and some 90k Romans.

Quote:
If you want to play that battle, it is included in the historical battles in Rome 2....You know, the game actually set in the correct period with the correct units, rather than a fantasy game that features medieval and fantasy units...
Cool, did not know. I haven't looked at these games in awhile and this is the first one I've seen that let's you zoom in with that fidelity.

Do they have they Cimbri battles in that game too? Seems so.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #16579
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nothing, I'm talking about the ability to setup a battle and play it out as he did.
This has been a feature of these games since at least Rome 1, quite likely since shogun 1. They've also always included a selection of historical battles relevant to the time period.

Quote:
Canna had what, 30k+ Carthaginian warriors (made up of various groups I know), and some 90k Romans.
40-50k for Carthage, 70-80k for the Romans are the most used estimates if memory serves.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #16580
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
What exactly does a battle between crossbow men and giants have to do with the battle of Cannae?
Facts are malleable things with Anenome. Ask him about his '2014 or bust' seasteading plan, lol, the one that I and others declared would never happen, and hasn't yet.

And never will. Ever.
Quote:

Tags
bitcoin, bubble-icious, design, drawing, everyone's a critic, i have to poop brb, i never post content, let me bitch at you, mobilefag, ossum, pagebreaker, picts, satoshi, shitty ass pics, t-shirts, yoshi